Hellion turbo kit - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
The things that made me love my centri on my last 5.0 over the twin turbos I had previously was the second order stress of TC: The snake pit of plumbing and pipes underhood, the baking underhood heat, the tuning challenges. The centri I bolted on in an afternoon, set it up tune-wise in minutes and off I went, no issues, no drama, simple tuning, great street performance because of the step-up ratio in the head unit. This is why it'd take alot to get me to take on twin turbo or any non-factory turbo setup again, especially DD. Centri is just so much fun with alot less grief.
What twin turbo kit did you have on your 5.0? And yes I will agree the snake put of piping and tuning challenges aren't for everyone.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Hellion turbo kit

My last 5.0 had E7TE heads on it . I made the TT kit myself out of junkyard Garrett turbos I rebuilt and alot of exhaust bends. The car made insane power despite the made in the backyard tech.

I'll grant you that buying a ready-made kit for our cars is a bit of a different experience than that but, the snake pit remains, the tuning challenges remain, enough to put me off going that route again on a car I intend to drive regularly.

The Paxton I used was the original Paxton blower for the 5.0, the SN blower. Absolutely hilarious on the street that setup. Quiet, tons of torque, instantaneous throttle response, rebuildable by anyone who could lube a bike chain.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #38

Region: Kansas

Wow.. there is so much misinformation in this thread I don't even know where to begin. Saying that this motor was built for a supercharger is bs. It it were then it would have came that way from the factory. Not every one wants to mod their car the same way with a supercharger. Some people like to be different. Personally, I prefer turbo cars and plan on going with the lund twin turbo kit once it goes to the production stage. Turbo's can be tuned for different power levels, on the fly at the push of a button. There are going to be hundreds of plusses and minuses for each type of forced induction. It is just proven fact that turbochargers are more efficient at making power and also better on the mpg.
mustspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Really it comes down to preference and feel. I've had many forced induction vehicles, both factory and aftermarket. i've actually had to live with these systems so, I feel reasonably informed in knowing what I like.

For its relative simplicity and instantaneous street boost, I'll take the supercharger and, live with the losses necessary to drive the thing. On the road, it's a better approach than running 4 miles of hot side piping underhood + everything else. A big, powerful engine like this one shrugs off that drive loss like nothing and the step-up erases alot of it on the power production end.

Everyone's goals are different. Want to push this motor all the way on a forged build plus redoing every subsystem in the car? Yep, you can make 1000+ hp on a turbo setup but, basically you've rebuilt the whole car to do it. I have too many hobbies for that level of investment. That's an easy $15-20,000 work.

Now, you ain't going to hit that hard on a $5000 blower but, if you don't get greedy, you can run 600-ish, 'til the cows come home. Easy to install in the garage in a weekend, super fun to drive, it's pretty compelling.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT