Procharger or Paxton.. 5.0 373s 6MT.. Gotta make decision today! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Procharger or Paxton.. 5.0 373s 6MT.. Gotta make decision today!

Only reason is that procharger offers diff kits and setups! Anybody running the procharger setups?
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Just out of curiosity do you plan on changing gears?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Just out of curiosity do you plan on changing gears?
Thought about so my gears wouldn't be so short. What you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Usually with FI 3.55's are the shortest gears recommended. When I do go FI in about the next 10 yrs lol I plan on either 3.31 or 3.55. It'll help with traction down low. However I also plan on a twin screw not a centri which does not build as much boost down low as a centri does. I'd say 3.55 or stay where you are I guess.

Edit: the twin screw builds more boost down low than centri

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Usually with FI 3.55's are the shortest gears recommended. When I do go FI in about the next 10 yrs lol I plan on either 3.31 or 3.55. It'll help with traction down low. However I also plan on a twin screw not a centri which does not build as much boost down low as a centri does. I'd say 3.55 or stay where you are I guess.

Edit: the twin screw builds more boost down low than centri
I been torn between the 2 for the last few weeks but for the price difference, sound, and power I feel like the roots type isn't worth over 1000 more dollars. I know the centri isn't instant power but I can imagine that pull all the way to redline after 3500 being badass haha! Centris run cooler then roots type as well so that's another reason that's swaying me towards the centri.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Don't let what I say change what you want lol, I just prefer PD, knowing it runs hotter and is more expensive. Just my preference. Love the looks of it too. But I think a vortech or Paxton would both be awesome as well. To me it is worth more money

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't let what I say change what you want lol, I just prefer PD, knowing it runs hotter and is more expensive. Just my preference. Love the looks of it too. But I think a vortech or Paxton would both be awesome as well. To me it is worth more money
Nah I wasn't taking it like that. Just discussing, I like to talk about this stuff! It's sad but I love the centri sound haha! The whipple wine is amazing as well but they havent been the best on these new 5.0s. The roush is the best roots type out now but the kit I want is 6700. The roush tune sucks so you have to spend a lil extra for a better tune.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Re: Procharger or Paxton.. 5.0 373s 6MT.. Gotta make decision today!

I'll probably go through VMP or Evolution when I get mine

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I run a procharger, love it!!!
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll probably go through VMP or Evolution when I get mine
I've heard good things. Brenspeed seems the best from the research I've done and the feed back from people that have gone through them. Lethal performance is where I'm looking now. They have the most options.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I wish someone could convince me to get a centri instead mostly because they're cheaper lol, and if done right you could probably get one for about 4700 for a whole kit. team beefcake racing sells tuner kits for 4200

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wish someone could convince me to get a centri instead mostly because they're cheaper lol, and if done right you could probably get one for about 4700 for a whole kit. team beefcake racing sells tuner kits for 4200
Yeah exactly haha! I think they can be better when you set them up to be. You always can make more power with them as well If you get the big head unit to begin with.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Wnt2gofst has a nasty setup on here and he has the Paxton. He went through beefcake racing for it. He's making 713rwhp
Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

a former member here mentioned that if you call team beefcake racing and ask for their best deal that you should be able to get the tuner kit for under 4k

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I love the look of the roush but reason I went centri is cuz I figure it's a lot easier on the trans. Jmo. Also I love that it drives like stock when ur not on it. Never driven a pd car but I I'm at 635whp and everyday driving isnt much different than before I put the blower in.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

hmm, sounds intriguing, tell me more about this lol, I think it might be working to convince me

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
I love the look of the roush but reason I went centri is cuz I figure it's a lot easier on the trans. Jmo. Also I love that it drives like stock when ur not on it. Never driven a pd car but I I'm at 635whp and everyday driving isnt much different than before I put the blower in.
Same thing I'm thinking. It's not boosting until you want it to. It's there when you want therefore its easier on the drive train and motor. Plus the bigger intercooler helps the air stay cooler instead of feeding all that constant hot air to the pistons.. Annnnd it's a big surprise and rush when the boost kicks up after that 3500rpm mark!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly really, only difference is pd guys just hit the gas n go. Centri guys might have to downshift, then hit the gas n go. On the street that is
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exactly really, only difference is pd guys just hit the gas n go. Centri guys might have to downshift, then hit the gas n go. On the street that is
Exactly but then you have more issue with traction as well with all that instant torque. I'll be in the right gear when needed so it shouldn't be a big deal even of she still gets a lil squirmy, she'll straighten out! Oh and did I mention the SOUND of a centri with the upgraded cold air kit haha! SICKKKK
Old 07-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which kit do you have by the way?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Stage 2 and upgraded to d1sc head
Old 07-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Stage 2 and upgraded to d1sc head

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2076309866.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	58999

What you think about this kit?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0

What you think about this kit?
no need for that big of a head unit exp a cog set up if you dont plan on a built
motor and alot of boost. plus the f1's are really loud at iddle
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

no need for that big of a head unit exp a cog set up if you dont plan on a built
motor and alot of boost. plus the f1's are really loud at iddle
Gotcha. So you think the Paxton novi 2200 kit or go with the procharger stage 2?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Gotcha. So you think the Paxton novi 2200 kit or go with the procharger stage 2?
the paxton would be a great kit as its the same size head unit as a d1 procharger. and if you decide to go procharger make sure you get the d1 upgrade with the stage 2 kit

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

either way would be a great choice. paxton will be more forgiving on your wallet also
Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

the paxton would be a great kit as its the same size head unit as a d1 procharger. and if you decide to go procharger make sure you get the d1 upgrade with the stage 2 kit

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

either way would be a great choice. paxton will be more forgiving on your wallet also
I noticed that, reason I'm not going roots type like the roush tvs2300. Any pros or cons between the Paxton and pro that would differentiate the two or price?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I noticed that, reason I'm not going roots type like the roush tvs2300. Any pros or cons between the Paxton and pro that would differentiate the two or price?
name is the main reason in all honesty. they are both great kits and will be verry identical in power. mainly the price differenceis you are paying for prochargers name
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

name is the main reason in all honesty. they are both great kits and will be verry identical in power. mainly the price differenceis you are paying for prochargers name
Thanks! Main thing I wanted to know. I noticed procharger has the unit on the opposite side as the Paxton but the intake is shoved to the back of the engine bay which is gonna mean more heat as well so I like how the Paxton stays up front and where the air is shot through from the factory inlet.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Im thinking of getting sc soon, but i have a Bama SCT tuner, can i tune the car with them or do i have to use the tune the supercharger reccomends?? Sorry if thats a stupid question
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Im thinking of getting sc soon, but i have a Bama SCT tuner, can i tune the car with them or do i have to use the tune the supercharger reccomends?? Sorry if thats a stupid question
i dont think bama does forced induction tuning.
plus it wouldnt be a good idea to run a email tune on a boosted car IMO. a dyno tune is the only way to go once u get to that level
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

i dont think bama does forced induction tuning.
plus it wouldnt be a good idea to run a email tune on a boosted car IMO. a dyno tune is the only way to go once u get to that level
Okay, thanks
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I've looked at the different centri setups but most places I look don't list a power level to expect to be around with different head units. How do you know what kind of power to expect from this or that type cetri blower? like a V-3 Si trim vs a T-trim? I've never had experience with centris before just PD blowers so it's probably a newb question.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

If you don't go bananas and buy a massive head unit a centri blower can surprise people. The basic PC has a really steep step-up ratio inside the case and that makes for pretty spectacular street performance, close to being on par with a PD setup.

Where people get the idea that centri SCs need revs and build boost more slowly is because they want their cake and to eat it too. They want street performance but room to grow when they get greedy later. This means manufacturers ease off on the step-up ratios, open the a/r or the compressor up and generally slow the whole thing down to allow for that. You can't truly have both.

So, same advice for decades: know what you want, how to get it and be happy with what you've made b/c you can't have it all.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgt
I've looked at the different centri setups but most places I look don't list a power level to expect to be around with different head units. How do you know what kind of power to expect from this or that type cetri blower? like a V-3 Si trim vs a T-trim? I've never had experience with centris before just PD blowers so it's probably a newb question.
Paxton kit says 615 crank hp. Brenspeeds vortec kit says 700 crank but that's with their own tune and some goodies. On the sites I've checked out so far procharger hasn't listed numbers with diff head units and diff between stage 1 and 2.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
If you don't go bananas and buy a massive head unit a centri blower can surprise people. The basic PC has a really steep step-up ratio inside the case and that makes for pretty spectacular street performance, close to being on par with a PD setup.

Where people get the idea that centri SCs need revs and build boost more slowly is because they want their cake and to eat it too. They want street performance but room to grow when they get greedy later. This means manufacturers ease off on the step-up ratios, open the a/r or the compressor up and generally slow the whole thing down to allow for that. You can't truly have both.

So, same advice for decades: know what you want, how to get it and be happy with what you've made b/c you can't have it all.
So am I missing something here? Not saying this as a smart ***, just trying to learn as much about them as I can. What do you mean by people say that they build power with revs? Is it false?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Centri blowers build power progressively with increasing revs and engine load, kind of like a turbo. Basically an oversized head unit is similar to putting too big a turbo on a car. You can make major power ultimately but you sacrifice response and low end punch for that. The internal step up centri blowers have use gearing to compensate for this somewhat but there's only so much compensation you can do if ultimately you want a 700+ hp head unit on the car. Step it up too much and you kill max power as you push the compressor towards its surge line up top but, leave step up low and you kill velocity on a big head unit and make the car doggy. It's a balancing act and you really need to choose what you want to ultimately be satisfied.

Track rat? Max power only, WOT performance what matters to you? Get the biggest head unit you can buy (Paxton). Driveability, throttle response, torque? get the smallest HU with the highest step up that won't hit surge within the normal rev range of the engine (Stage 1 PC). Or go PD.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Centri blowers build power progressively with increasing revs and engine load, kind of like a turbo. Basically an oversized head unit is similar to putting too big a turbo on a car. You can make major power ultimately but you sacrifice response and low end punch for that. The internal step up centri blowers have use gearing to compensate for this somewhat but there's only so much compensation you can do if ultimately you want a 700+ hp head unit on the car. Step it up too much and you kill max power as you push the compressor towards its surge line up top but, leave step up low and you kill velocity on a big head unit and make the car doggy. It's a balancing act and you really need to choose what you want to ultimately be satisfied.

Track rat? Max power only, WOT performance what matters to you? Get the biggest head unit you can buy (Paxton). Driveability, throttle response, torque? get the smallest HU with the highest step up that won't hit surge within the normal rev range of the engine (Stage 1 PC). Or go PD.
Street mainly. I heard the Paxton is good bc you can as more to it later?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT