Roush opinions needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Roush opinions needed

Hey guys, got an opportunity I need some opinions on. My uncle is the head of the service department at a Ford dealership here in Virginia. With that being said I have been looking at parts for my 2010 GT. He can get me a Roush Axle back system and a cold air intake at a discounted price. I would be looking at roughly $200 for the intake and $450ish for the exhaust. Roush has a great reputation, but I am searching for some great minds to weigh in. Thanks in advance!
gweze001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweze001
Hey guys, got an opportunity I need some opinions on. My uncle is the head of the service department at a Ford dealership here in Virginia. With that being said I have been looking at parts for my 2010 GT. He can get me a Roush Axle back system and a cold air intake at a discounted price. I would be looking at roughly $200 for the intake and $450ish for the exhaust. Roush has a great reputation, but I am searching for some great minds to weigh in. Thanks in advance!
Well the roush intake is junk, dont waste ur money. And the axleback for 450 is only 10 bucks cheaper than AM. So ur not relli gettin a discount..
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Then you get 6% of with forum discount

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How's is the intake a waste? What about it specifically? And the price for the exhaust will be less I found out, but I'm looking at the reliability of the product. I don't plan to get out on a track. However, I want to make the stang my own with my flavoring to it. If that makes sense.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How's is the intake a waste? What about it specifically? And the price for the exhaust will be less I found out, but I'm looking at the reliability of the product. I don't plan to get out on a track. However, I want to make the stang my own with my flavoring to it. If that makes sense.
A roush intake will show no more gains than the stock intake. And it has little to no difference in sound. The price for the exhaust is no less than 10 dollars if u call that a deal.. Make it ur own for sure but dnt waste ur money. I have the roush axlebacks n they r awesome deff buy them but im jus saying ur not relli getting a deal on them
Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So you have the Roush axle backs? What do you like or not like about them? Do you have the intake as well? I'm curious about them working in unison together.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you have the Roush axle backs? What do you like or not like about them? Do you have the intake as well? I'm curious about them working in unison together.
They are awesome. Get them i love everything about them but the intake has absolutely no point. Its junk. The steeda n jlt are the best intakes. Airaid also is good. Buy the axlebacks and be happy
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Agreed, buy the axlebacks and buy the JLT CAI, also make sure you get a tuner with the CAI to maximize gains

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Agreed, buy the axlebacks and buy the JLT CAI, also make sure you get a tuner with the CAI to maximize gains
+1 the tune will prob void ur warranty though. Get the axlebacks on for a while then get the cai n tune later if u still arent happy. Ive had my axlebacks on for a year and it satisfies me while i save for a SC and do cosmetic mods
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Do the 10's have the 5yr 60k powertrain warranty?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much set on the axle backs, a previous owner had some weird mufflers welded on so I'm eager to replace that. The reason I want the Roush intake is because it doesn't require tuning. The tuning makes me nervous because I don't know much about it. Any articles that might help me over come my fear. Or possibly a veteran explanation to a young noob?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm pretty much set on the axle backs, a previous owner had some weird mufflers welded on so I'm eager to replace that. The reason I want the Roush intake is because it doesn't require tuning. The tuning makes me nervous because I don't know much about it. Any articles that might help me over come my fear. Or possibly a veteran explanation to a young noob?
It doesnt require a tune because it is no better than stock. Also y it is 300 less than any other cai. Tunes are tricky but sct, lund and bama will work wit u till u get it right.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm going to see what I can find on their sites. I'm finding that information specifically for the 2010 isn't going to jump out at you. My uncle has been able to help me out a lot though, and so far this forum has been really supportive. So for that I thank you all
Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

As far as tunes, most people on any mustang forum has their vehicle tuned. There are tens of thousands or tuned mustangs and cars in general on the road. Tunes are nothing to fear, they adjust various engine parameters to eek out more power but and reputable tuner should be able to do so safely

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Roush opinions needed

I have the Roush axelbacks also and while I love the sound they produce and the no drone I would not ever buy them again. I've had them for less than 4k miles,my car is not a daily driver and has never seen rain......and they are rusting. CAI is a total waste if you aren't going to tune the car like said above. Save for a tune and CAI later on down the line and you will not be disappointed.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
I have the Roush axelbacks also and while I love the sound they produce and the no drone I would not ever buy them again. I've had them for less than 4k miles,my car is not .a daily driver and has never seen rain......and they are rusting. CAI is a total waste if you aren't going to tune the car like said above. Save for a tune and CAI later on down the line and you will not be disappointed.
I have over 2x the mileage and drive in the rain and they r jus like new no rust
Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I have the Roush axelbacks also and while I love the sound they produce and the no drone I would not ever buy them again. I've had them for less than 4k miles,my car is not a daily driver and has never seen rain......and they are rusting. CAI is a total waste if you aren't going to tune the car like said above. Save for a tune and CAI later on down the line and you will not be disappointed.
Have had my Roush A/B's for 18 months, Daily driver, even in rain, 20,000 miles, no rust, still look as good as day one. Still sounds Awesome too..

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I'm special.....
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

you guys are definitely making me feel better about the Roush exhaust, but now I am trying to figure out this whole intake business out. I would love to do the Roush intake so that everything matches I guess, but if its going to be a waste of money then maybe i need to consider.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

It's your vehicle so if you wanna spend money on things that match then go for it. Main point people are trying to make is that if you're looking for power the roush CAI is a waste of money. but it's your car, you drive it, you pay for it, so make it yours

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
It's your vehicle so if you wanna spend money on things that match then go for it. Main point people are trying to make is that if you're looking for power the roush CAI is a waste of money. but it's your car, you drive it, you pay for it, so make it yours
The roush doesnt even look cool.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I mean that's a matter of opinion really, if he likes it then he should buy it... he's driving it not you lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't want the tune, go for it. But, thats what i did, bought the combo CAI and A/B's, was a good price I thought, and didn't need a tune. Then i got the bug, got a tune, then headers, will be replacing the Roush CAI real soon. So be carful, cause once you start , the bug will get you..

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hey grabber thanks for the vote of confidence and organdonor, that's the view I was looking for, I don't mind the idea of finding something better later, but for right now it seems like the best option for my tiny budget and I get both!!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Dont,buy the roush intake. Save your money! Unless you open your hood alot then I guess get it or you can just paint your stock cai so its a Bit showy, but if you want a cai that will save you a bit of money now then just get a drop in filter from k&n. 60$ vs 300usless dollars.
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Just found out that getting the CAI and A/B Roush through Ford with the discount will be cheaper because I'm getting both. A lot of you went with both of them first then upgraded the CAI later. I think this is a good choice for me at this time. I want to hit up both the CAI and the A/B, but paying almost 800 for the CAI wouldn't work for me right now.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking on the Roush website and couldn't seem to find the 2010 a/b. Can anyone help me out or will the 2011 stuff work?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

05-09 will work, 11+ will only work if you weld

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Hey grabber thanks for the vote of confidence and organdonor, that's the view I was looking for, I don't mind the idea of finding something better later, but for right now it seems like the best option for my tiny budget and I get both!!
IF it actually did something other than look slightly different then yes it'd be a decent option.. But it doesn't.. Dont buy intake..
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

IF it actually did something other than look slightly different then yes it'd be a decent option.. But it doesn't.. Dont buy intake..
Yes you can save 300$ and just buy a dropin k&n filter for 60$.
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Well it seems I have been defeated in my quest for Roush performance. The reason I post it here is because you all might find it interesting. I have a 2010, and I called Roush asking I was unable to find A/B on their site. Turns out during the production of the 2010 Roush decided just to make a "Kooks" system instead of a/b for the 2010. The guy said it had something to do with the body style changes. So I'm on the hunt again for a/b to replace my mufflers. Since now I am not trying to get Roush. I am definitely more open to not having a matching intake. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions. It pushed me to do the extra research and find out what I did!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT