Drivetrain Clunk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2010-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

pcarman is unknown around these parts
Drivetrain Clunk

This noise I hear when braking or lifting off the accelerator is driving me nuts.
What can I do the eliminate it or at least minimize it? Suspension is now stock.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

wereKEV is unknown around these parts
Re: Drivetrain Clunk

It could be the u joints .

Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

pcarman is unknown around these parts

U-joints are where? Driveshaft?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

5LHO is just getting started.

it won't be, unless you have a TON of miles. it's the 2-piece driveshaft. You can sometimes drive around this by revving the motor a little higher before shifting. Complain to Ford and they may give you another DS that's got tighter tolerances or go with a 1 piece DS from any number of vendors like DSS, Shaftmasters, etc.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Supporter
Staff

primer2tone is unknown around these parts
Mine does this too. It has ever since day one. It feels like the play between the weight of the car in the nutural state, meaning no power to the wheels in between gears with the clutch in or between gears in an auto or leaving park. I don't think a one piece driveshaft will remedy this because I think it's just the way the car is built. It sounds like the noise is coming from the transmission itself and not the driveshaft U joints. I may be wrong for I am not a mechanic, just a random Internet guy expressing my opinion. My F150 does the same thing and I haven't had any mechanical issues due to this.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

5LHO is just getting started.

Usually when the 2-piece driveshaft (variations on this theme have been used in Mustangs since the Foxbody first came out) isn't responsible, it's slop in the rear end tolerances, which isn't easily curable without a new gearset with less tolerance stackup. Huge range of acceptable (meaning, no noise) levels of rear end slop in 8.8s.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

99ford is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Mine does this too. It has ever since day one. It feels like the play between the weight of the car in the nutural state, meaning no power to the wheels in between gears with the clutch in or between gears in an auto or leaving park. I don't think a one piece driveshaft will remedy this because I think it's just the way the car is built. It sounds like the noise is coming from the transmission itself and not the driveshaft U joints. I may be wrong for I am not a mechanic, just a random Internet guy expressing my opinion. My F150 does the same thing and I haven't had any mechanical issues due to this.
My Mustang does that and my Moms Lincoln Aviator does as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2010-2014 Mustang GT