2013 GT Owners Should Know! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Steeda said it wasn't an issue, C&L agree with me it is an issue....
2013 GB GT MT- Track Pack, Recaros. Whipple 2.3, JLT CAI, VMP 3x Pass HE, 170 TSTAT, Flowmaster Outlaw/RTR AB, Magnaflow Tru X, SCT ITSX, Eibach Pro Street Coilovers, Axle Exchange Alum. D.S.,BMR Loop, SOS Dual W/ Aeroforce Duals, Boss Steering Wheel, Gt500 Shift Boot, Gt500 Spoiler, MMD Louvers and Hood Struts, Fays2, 3DCarbon Rear Diffuser, DBA Rotors, MGW Shifter, Forgestar CF5s
Tapakegovagnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #37
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Re: 2013 GT Owners Should Know!

For I.O., C&L designed a new box for the '13's that prevents the water from entering.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I know, and I can see its an issue. Steeda responded with :

"Dario Orlando, the owner of Steeda Autosports did a test here where we saw no water getting onto the filter when we were spraying water directly over the vent in the parking lot. Dario has also driven the Boss car and his personal 2013 GT through very heavy rain in traffic. He had to stop occasionally in heavy rain and saw no issues."

Maybe Dario saw no issues as in his
motor didnt hydro lock. If it did, there would be a new motor within the week. Not the case for
Me, I can't risk moisture entering my engine.....
2013 GB GT MT- Track Pack, Recaros. Whipple 2.3, JLT CAI, VMP 3x Pass HE, 170 TSTAT, Flowmaster Outlaw/RTR AB, Magnaflow Tru X, SCT ITSX, Eibach Pro Street Coilovers, Axle Exchange Alum. D.S.,BMR Loop, SOS Dual W/ Aeroforce Duals, Boss Steering Wheel, Gt500 Shift Boot, Gt500 Spoiler, MMD Louvers and Hood Struts, Fays2, 3DCarbon Rear Diffuser, DBA Rotors, MGW Shifter, Forgestar CF5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a video Steeda made about the issue:

I'm gonna have to put a camera under the hood and do my own test to be sure.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I think I might make a few holes like they did in the video...just in case. We get some pretty solid rainstorms here in Chicago, and I've been looking at it pretty closely. The JLT intake I run seems to have one small spot (nickel-sized) where water drips on to it. If you look closely enough, you can see where the other vent drains...right on top of your fuse box. Again, I have a nickel sized waterspot on my fusebox cover.

Maybe poking some holes will help it drain out the other end.

Another thought: Ice. I wonder if I am going to see heat issues when those vents get clogged with ice...then again, the heat from the engine bay will probably melt it out before things become an issue.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
[/COLOR]Every manufacturer who says this isnt an issue is full of $h1t. This is just plain laziness on the part of the companies. They dont want to have to redesign a new shroud like c&l did, nor do they want to recall all the CAI's that '13 owners have already purchased because distributers were in such a hurry to start selling the CAI's because "mechanically" they work just fine.
I have the JLT CAI on my '13 and its coming of. The car is my DD and i didnt put much thought into this issue at first. Now everytime i wash it i check and there is always water drops on the filter element. Now anytime i get caught in the rain im terrified of the possibilty of hydrolock.
I ordered the C&L CAI and it just came today. Its going to be a few days before i can get it on and retuned by the shop who does my work.
The best thing that happened out of all this was when i called AM voiceing my concerns, they waived thier normal 30 day return policy and the fact thats its been installed for almost 2 months and said that they have no problem taking it back. They completly understood my concerns and comments i made as to what i purchased is not meant for my car. And iam not the only one who has called them on the issue. They stated they are looking into the matter and plan to work with all '13 owners who have this concern. They are a great company and will always have my business.
Thank you C&L for creating a proper CAI for the '13s that us both "fully" functional and visually appealling.
And a big thank you to AM for their great customer service.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
[/COLOR]Every manufacturer who says this isnt an issue is full of $h1t. This is just plain laziness on the part of the companies. They dont want to have to redesign a new shroud like c&l did, nor do they want to recall all the CAI's that '13 owners have already purchased because distributers were in such a hurry to start selling the CAI's because "mechanically" they work just fine.
I have the JLT CAI on my '13 and its coming of. The car is my DD and i didnt put much thought into this issue at first. Now everytime i wash it i check and there is always water drops on the filter element. Now anytime i get caught in the rain im terrified of the possibilty of hydrolock.
I ordered the C&L CAI and it just came today. Its going to be a few days before i can get it on and retuned by the shop who does my work.
The best thing that happened out of all this was when i called AM voiceing my concerns, they waived thier normal 30 day return policy and the fact thats its been installed for almost 2 months and said that they have no problem taking it back. They completly understood my concerns and comments i made as to what i purchased is not meant for my car. And iam not the only one who has called them on the issue. They stated they are looking into the matter and plan to work with all '13 owners who have this concern. They are a great company and will always have my business.
Thank you C&L for creating a proper CAI for the '13s that us both "fully" functional and visually appealling.
Agreed. If I decide to add a CAI it will be the C&L.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That's good to know.
Mylo0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The day I posted this thread I was on the phone with American Muscle. The lady I was speaking with had no idea there was a difference in the 13 kit. It was advertised on there as an 11-13 kit. At least they have changed it now to reflect 11-12. They still don't have the 13 C & L kit, but you can order direct from C & L website. Surprised that most other CAI companies are still advertising kits as 11-13 kits.
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
While I accept your argument regarding companies and their bottom line, your gut-bunching terror about hydrolock is unwarranted.

You'd have to pretty much immerse the filter in water and be running close to WOT to have any chance of ingesting enough water to hydrolock the engine. A few drips on the filter won't do anything. It makes a mess and, the companies making these CAIs should develop a fix, especially at the profit margin for this useless part.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT