2013 GT Owners Should Know! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2013 GT Owners Should Know!

Just thought I would share this. Lots of you may already know, but I just found out this morning. Even the people at American muscle didn't know. The 2013 GT with the hood vents has a channel (between the hood and insulation) that directs water into the hood directly on top of the fuse box on passenger side and directly on top of airbox on drivers side. If you have an exposed filter element, water will dump right into the filter element. American muscle was advertising (and selling) the 11-12 GT intake as a 13 kit. It will work and fit, but the 11 and 12 kit do not have the shroud that the 13 has to deflect water. Not sure about the other companies 13 kits (JLT, Steeda, Air Raid etc.). See story at link below. FYI, I don't represent or endorse any of these brands, just thought it was good info to know.

C&L Air Intake System for the 2013 Mustang GT
CPERR2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Dang that sucks. Even though they fixed the problem and keeping water from reaching the filter there's still the issue of water entering the engine bay via heat extractors.

They need to come out with a set of non functional heat extractors. That would eliminate the problem all together and you could run what ever CAI you wanted.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 2013 GT Owners Should Know!

It does suck. I like C&L. I had one on my 06 GT and it worked well. As the article states, I have noticed how after I wash my car, and I try not to spray directly on or near the vents, that the air box cover is very wet although the upper intake, cover and strut tower brace which are directly below the hood vents are dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Orrrr you could run the stock airbox since that has the best performance anyways and stop wasting money on things like a cold air.
Yellow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow50
Orrrr you could run the stock airbox since that has the best performance anyways and stop wasting money on things like a cold air.
+1
Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Define "best performance". Taking a tune out of the equation, most of the CAI's on the market that are "no tune required" will develop between 10 to 16 more RWHP over stock, flow at least 40% more air over stock, and lower intake air temp when compared to stock?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPERR2013
Define "best performance". Taking a tune out of the equation, most of the CAI's on the market that are "no tune required" will develop between 10 to 16 more RWHP over stock, flow at least 40% more air over stock, and lower intake air temp when compared to stock?
Most of the gains shown by cold air kits is because the hood is up when dynoing the car. When the hood is down and the car is at the track or on the street it is tit for tat with the stock air box. The air boxes on these cars are much better than older models and is better than most vehicles out there.
NuckChorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Show me one valid bit of proof a no-tune CAI makes 10-16 rwhp over stock and I'll sign up tomorrow.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Here ya go.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

this your car, same test conditions and time, no other changes, repeatable...oh no, wait, that looks like the one off the company bumf page....
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Dang that sucks. Even though they fixed the problem and keeping water from reaching the filter there's still the issue of water entering the engine bay via heat extractors.

They need to come out with a set of non functional heat extractors. That would eliminate the problem all together and you could run what ever CAI you wanted.
Actually I think they need to be functional, I read somewhere that the removal of oil squirters in the 13 meant an alternate method of cooling the engine was needed and the extractors are doing that... Although I'm sure there has to be an easy fix for this water issue
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

keeripes, hood louvers aren't going to do jack to cool off the undersides of the pistons, which is what oil squirters do. I'm really being a dick today but, some of the crapola here is just staggering.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I guess all of these claims are 100% bogus. All of the performance/ Dyno shops that talk up a CAI and tune combo are liars. All the Dyno test are wrong. All of the performance gains at the track are wrong. The two previous cars I had that picked up 6/10 and 5/10 in the quarter were all due to better weather and track prep and not the HP and TQ gains. My buddies car that's identical mine except for a tune and CAI is 5/10 faster in the quarter than mine and all of the 1000's of people on this forums who are running a CAI have been fleeced by these slick companies and their unsubstantiated claims.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Where is wnt2gofst when you need him?

If I had a magic banana and I showed you a piece of paper with "proof" that made your 5.0 faster. You would probably buy it. Shops are businesses they will try to sell you anything to make money it's what they do. Cai's included. Forums exist to give people knowledge from more experienced owners (or not)

I forgot where the thread is but there's a guy who tests brand x cai jlt and another brand only to prove that the maf sensor signal was worse with the cai than factory box. This is an important factor. Another factor was that the jlt created alot of turbulenunce in the intake tube. You can read many reviews of guys with jlt cai's bogging of the line. Believe your own theory's in your own little world. Countless testing at the drag strip has shown little to no difference in times. The end result is that simply cai's do not make a noticeable difference on the 5.0 engine. That's a fact.

Think of it this way, if a cai is such a easy basic way to gain hp and it's so great why didn't ford include it from the factory? Point proven, they have their reasons.

People think you can magically put and open air element filter with a bigger tube and bam you got horsepower. You dont even consider maf signal, turbulence, air temperature and air volume. The stock box is routed in such a way that it pulls the best possible cool air, look on the box they labeled cold air right on it for those of you that are a bit dimmer. Air density is way more important than air volume, why do you think people always talk about sea level and heat soak? guess you guys are smarter than the ford 5.0 engineers that designed the engine and intake for thousands of hours. Go ahead buy a cai think you are going faster.. You will see most of the serious guys running boxes unless they are forced induction which is a totally different story...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have the stock air box on my car now. The experience that I have personally had in my fantasy world aka, the drag strip was with my 06 GT. when I bought the car it had a K & N CAI. Once replaced with a C & L CAI and tune, it picked up 24 RWHP and 31 RWTQ. Went from running 13.6 to 13.1 at fantasy world Dragway. My current best in 100 degree plus weather is a 13.0 in my stock 2013. I'll keep you posted when the new CAI and tune are on as to how it runs. I don't think that I know more than the ford engineers, but I do think that reliability and warranty influence their decisions more so than all out performance. Got a go, me and me all the other saps that own CAIs have a play date in pixie hollow!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
06 GT. when I bought the car it had a K & N CAI. Once replaced with a C & L CAI and tune,
And there's your problem, last time I checked the 2006 gt does not have the 5.0 engine or newer airbox design.

Also that 26hp you gained is in the tune not the cai next time try a stock tune with stock box vs stock tune with cai under same conditions and then compare.

Your experience with that car under those conditions is irrelevant

Going to the track on a different day is also not comparable. humidity level, air temperature, heatsoak, track temperature, reaction time, wind, rubber on the track all take into effect on your time. Stock cars have been clocked in the 1/4 anywhere from 12.2-13 flat
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That's what my plan is, want to see what each one does for both specific power output and how it translates at the strip. I have seen plenty of 5.0s over the past couple of years that have had very good gains with the tune CAI combo. Let you know when I have more "relevant" experience to share.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what my plan is, want to see what each one does for both specific power output and how it translates at the strip. I have seen plenty of 5.0s over the past couple of years that have had very good gains with the tune CAI combo. Let you know when I have more "relevant" experience to share.
You cannot combine a tune with a cai as the tune is providing the power not the cai. You have to test it individually and write down your results.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

How about you do a little research and real world testing before you talk all this crap.

some cold air testing

Your welcome
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I installed a cai that did not require a tune and the car felt like it lost a few hp. I had to get a tune before it made any more power. So in my experience you need both a tune and cai before it becomes worth the money.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So far I'm at 12.77 at 113.8 on the stock cai, factory PZeros, fully optioned '12 M6, full tank. Thinkin' that's otay! Hitting 0-60 in a touch over 4 seconds.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

CAI w/no tune = BS......end of story.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
CAI w/no tune = BS......end of story.
Yes, but cai and tune is faster and more powerful then just a tune....end of story.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Honestly if my car didn't come with the CAI I wouldn't have bothered buying one. I'd just get a k&n drop in. But I do like the sound it makes when I accelerate sounds kinda like a little blowoff valve. I think wnt2gofst went to a different forum where they don't just talk about CAIs axle backs and "look how cool my stock rims look". I mean if the guy wants a CAI let him get it I don't hear people bashing the guy talking about axle backs do they add much if any hp.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

My recommendations are one of these options:

1) NOS it
2) Supercharge it
3) Higher diff.
4) All of the above

If any of these scare you then I suggest buying a dog. If you have a dog and still scared, buy a bigger dog.
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom
Honestly if my car didn't come with the CAI I wouldn't have bothered buying one. I'd just get a k&n drop in. But I do like the sound it makes when I accelerate sounds kinda like a little blowoff valve. I think wnt2gofst went to a different forum where they don't just talk about CAIs axle backs and "look how cool my stock rims look". I mean if the guy wants a CAI let him get it I don't hear people bashing the guy talking about axle backs do they add much if any hp.
I bought a k&n filter and when I opened the package it was soaked and almost dripping with oil so I didn't even out it in, I have had to many problems with oil ruining my maf sensors want any oiled filter anymore. And yes your drag race god left.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

I bought a k&n filter and when I opened the package it was soaked and almost dripping with oil so I didn't even out it in, I have had to many problems with oil ruining my maf sensors want any oiled filter anymore. And yes your drag race god left.
Man that's frekkin sucks about your filter. I would have so mad after forking out $54 I bet you brought it back huh. You know they're washable. And wnt2gofst isn't any kind of god just a guy that really loved drag racing alittle too much ha. I guess Napoleon left with him too.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Even when he's not around you still try to pick a fight with him

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Even when he's not around you still try to pick a fight with him
+1. Lol
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
keeripes, hood louvers aren't going to do jack to cool off the undersides of the pistons, which is what oil squirters do. I'm really being a dick today but, some of the crapola here is just staggering.
I actually stated that I read it somewhere... Posted it to seek additional feedback, not to state a black and white comment without actual proof.

However, I have 100 percent proof that you are a dick (self proclaimed of course)

Nice try though. Dick.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the thing...if you want to pass on some information, even with caveats like "I read it somewhere" and, you don't have the knowledge to determine whether or not it's complete horse****: don't pass it on

You want to ask a question, phrase it as one so people don't get to maybe thinking this stuff has merit.

I mean really, you don't have be Smokey Yunick to figure this one out, though.

I'll walk you through it:

A hood vent relieves underhood air pressure, which can reduce lift at high speeds. That's one thing they can do, if well designed.

they can also, primarily, release engine heat otherwise trapped underhood, reducing underhood temps. Now, that engine heat is generated by that great friction and power-generating mass under there. The pistons are part of that generation of heat but they're back sides are buried a little deep in the engine for a hood vent, or no hood at all, to have much effect on their temp.

An oil squirter reduces this piston heat from exposure to combustion by allowing some of this heat to be transferred to the oil. Reduced piston temps mean you can run tighter piston to wall clearances, run reduced octane gasoline with less fear of pre-ignition, run more spark advance for better torque, etc. All this contributes to better power, lower emissions and better mileage, in small ways. the cost is a small increase in pumping losses in the engine and a slight elevation of oil temp.

I don't know why Ford feels the need to delete these for '13 but, I'm really sure it's not because they poked some holes in the hood.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I've found that removing part of the underhood insulation around the vents seems to prevent it from dumping specifically on the airbox/fusebox. It still gets wet though. I'm sure it's something you can just apply some electrical tape to if you're really concerned about water entering the engine bay (i'm much more concerned about the water getting on the fusebox than the air filter/airbox lid, tbh)
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Here's the thing...if you want to pass on some information, even with caveats like "I read it somewhere" and, you don't have the knowledge to determine whether or not it's complete horse****: don't pass it on

You want to ask a question, phrase it as one so people don't get to maybe thinking this stuff has merit.

I mean really, you don't have be Smokey Yunick to figure this one out, though.

I'll walk you through it:

A hood vent relieves underhood air pressure, which can reduce lift at high speeds. That's one thing they can do, if well designed.

they can also, primarily, release engine heat otherwise trapped underhood, reducing underhood temps. Now, that engine heat is generated by that great friction and power-generating mass under there. The pistons are part of that generation of heat but they're back sides are buried a little deep in the engine for a hood vent, or no hood at all, to have much effect on their temp.

An oil squirter reduces this piston heat from exposure to combustion by allowing some of this heat to be transferred to the oil. Reduced piston temps mean you can run tighter piston to wall clearances, run reduced octane gasoline with less fear of pre-ignition, run more spark advance for better torque, etc. All this contributes to better power, lower emissions and better mileage, in small ways. the cost is a small increase in pumping losses in the engine and a slight elevation of oil temp.

I don't know why Ford feels the need to delete these for '13 but, I'm really sure it's not because they poked some holes in the hood.
Gotcha, makes sense.

And that's why I post things I have read somewhere so it can be cleared up... See how that works?
Old 07-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

goddit....
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

Just be carefull with water hose! I dig the look!
JC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

well thats odd... you know Ford knew many would run an open element and that would cause problems....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT