Oil squirter ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Oil squirter ?

Can someone please explain what the oil squirters do and maybe post a pic? I have monitored a lot of discussion about them, but I don't understand the purpose and whether or not they are bad.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
They squirt oil to the bottom of the pistons to help cool the non forged pistons that are in all non boss 5.0s. They were deleted in 2013 models and they supposedly added some coating to the pistons instead. I would rather have the squirters. They are used by other manufacturers in sports cars for the same purpose. The newest gt500 gained them to help with the heat from 662hp. I have heard it they were causing too much oil windage at higher rpms on the 5.0 but from what I read that was with the boss motors turning 8000 rpms. It was in the last 500 rpms where the windage issue supposedly arose and robbed a few HP.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Guzie, so why do most people on the forums hate them?
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Oil squirter ?

Hate 'em is probably a big generalisation but, if there's alot of people who don't really understand engines on forums, too. As with everything, it's a balance of cost v. benefit.

There's nothing wrong with using an oil squirter to transfer some piston heat to the oil. They can allow engine builders to run tighter piston to wall clearances, a slightly tighter ring pack, can lower min. octane requirement, etc. However, they do cost a bit in terms of pumping losses to drive oil through them and some windage loss from the oil sticking to the moving parts. We're not talking a million horses from any of this, it's a few at best or worst but, that's why we have amazing power levels today over yesteryear; it's that ability to more completely and accurately fine-tune the needs of the engine and run a narrower safety margin for durability. Ford engineers changed the pistons in the 13s and obviously, feel the squirters and their small pumping loss are no longer necessary or they would have left them in.

Might save a few bucks per engine this way and when we're talking millions of 5.0 engines produced here, a few bucks adds up fast. E.g. the reason we don't have DI on our engines is that Ford could reach its power/emission/mileage goals without it and it saved about $200 an engine, which is huge.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the explanation, this makes a lot of sense. Appreciate the time you took.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The 2013 owners hate them cause they dont have them!

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Higher end sports cars have them so they must be good
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
They squirt oil to the bottom of the pistons to help cool the non forged pistons that are in all non boss 5.0s. They were deleted in 2013 models and they supposedly added some coating to the pistons instead. I would rather have the squirters.
+1. Word on the street is that is why they added the new hood vents, to help with the cooling.

Not sure if I believe it, but there it is.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Now you're just teasing...
Old 07-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate all the inputs, I just felt like I was missing something. I felt like the squirters are a good idea, and didn't get why so many people were wanting to remove them.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, if you spent the time putting a forged shortblock together, you don't need to use these anymore so, might as well cap 'em off and save a bit of pumping loss and windage.

Ford likes 'em for the GT500...apparently 662 horses puts a bit of extra strain on the rotating assembly....
Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #11

Region: Colorado

I have read talk where some folks still have them in the 13,s they worked on.
I have heard that some late production 12's got motors without them.

Myself I really have no idea?
jc121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
That's a good reason to keep them if you add a blower to the 5.0. 662 HP and then some is obtainable with the 5.0. Oil squirters are good to keep in my book.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
MMR built a '13 block recently, stated had oil squirters. Another build on '13 on another forum also stated it had them...What to believe?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, reality is Ford's not going to scrap a whole bunch of production blocks for such a small change so, depending on when the stock of available '12 blocks ran out, (something we, as outsiders, would never know) then the changeover occurs. Internet "wisdom", fwiw, says anything after 1/12 seems to be the chageover but, I wouldn't bet anything on the veracity of that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT