Differences- X Pipe and O/R X Pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Differences- X Pipe and O/R X Pipe

Hey, I was just curious what the differences in the two are? Pros and cons to both? Just a simple quick question.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Off road x pipe doesnt have cats. So if you live in a state the does emission testing you prob will want a regular x pipe. And the off road will have a little more HP because your removing the cats which restricts flow.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Differences- X Pipe and O/R X Pipe

You could get a set of really highflow cats though...you'd still have some power loss but it'd be legal for street use.

Or, could just install two electronic exhaust cutouts pre-cats and sound like hell on wheels!
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok
You could get a set of really highflow cats though...you'd still have some power loss but it'd be legal for street use.

Or, could just install two electronic exhaust cutouts pre-cats and sound like hell on wheels!
True!!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard a lot about electric cutouts, but have never heard them or seen them. Basically what are they? And what other part do they replace? About how much do they run?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's the real budget method of being awesome. I had one on my '03 SRT4's downpipe (RIP old girl, I miss you...).

Essentially, think of it as a Y pipe welded in to your exhaust system, where one end of the Y leads straight out into the air under your car. You'd have two for a true dual exhaust car like our 5.0s. Now, picture having a plate held over the port that lets exhaust straight out of the pipe This prevents the exhaust gases from escaping and the gases have to pass thru the stock exhaust. Remove this plate, and the gases escape out of the 'cut-out' and bypass your whole exhaust.

Now, imagine having an electronic switch that controls that plate. And, have that switch installed inside the driving compartment somewhere.

With the valves closed, you sound perfectly stock. Flip the switch, the valves open, and all of the sudden your 12' of your exhaust consisting of metal tubing, cats, mufflers, bends becomes 2 ft, and your exhaust gases escape almost immediately after leaving the header. And you sound like the harbinger of armageddon.

Story time:

After I installed my downpipe on my SRT4, i took it for a drive (23lbs of boost, lots of mods, 3" downpipe into my cutout...yeah she was awesome). Pulled out of a Sonic at dusk, stopped at a light. Noticed a cop behind me. I didnt have the valve installed yet, but Florida exhaust rules are nonexistent. Light turns green, I mildly accelerate and shift into 2nd and the cops lights come on. I'm like, WTF I didnt even do anything, get pulled over for doing 30 in a 45?! Cop walks up, his eyes like O_O! He's like, "son, I have no idea whats goin on with your car but you have flames popping out underneath it!" I get a big, innocent look on my face and say "Oh ****, really?" and the cop goes "Kid, do you live on base?" (this was right outside of Eglin AFB, Fl, I was an E4 at the time). I'm like, yeah... He says "I'm not gonna ticket you or anything but you gotta park this thing somewhere and get it figured out because this b*tch is bout to explode or somethin!"

He walks back to his car, I drive off with the biggest sh*t eatin' grin on my face. I installed the valve the next day, and made sure to keep it closed anytime I saw the cops.

The short of it: cut outs are awesome. Yeah, you'll get some still burning fuel coming out (but poppin flames is boss, just sayin') and it sounds awesome. And you got the option of sounding stock whenever you like.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 07-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Okay! You've got me interested! So you can have the cut out and the stock exhaust? Just switch between them? Now could I have the cutout and then install an Axle back in place of the stock exhaust? How reliable are cutouts? About how much do they run? Will having flames come out of the cutout effect anything? That just seems kinda bad to me..
Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, the idea is to be able to swap between stock exhaust mode and fully opened exhaust.

I warn you, it is not for the faint of heart. It's loud. Very loud. Aint it isnt a pretty noise, like you'd get out of a borla.

A cutout shouldnt affect how your axle backs work, again, you're keeping all of your stock piping (except the small portion they have to remove to install the Y pipe, up near your exhaust downpipes near the engine area.)

Reliable? Depends on the quality of the electronic actuator. I ran an Ebay special for 8 years and it was still working when the car got totaled.

I think about any electronic cut out should work, but you need to find out what size diameter exhaust tubing is on our mustang (wild guess says 2 1'2" or so?) Once you know that, start searching.

Doing a quick google search pulled these up:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTP-QTEC50/ this is for a pair of the actuators

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670136/ this is the Y pipe

Remember, you'll need two Y pipes, and two electric actuators. Any exhaust shop can weld them in for cheap, and find a buddy to help you wire them in.

And, for pete's sake, keep it closed around the cops and in neighborhoods. Good lord.

----edit----

The burning fuel shouldn't cause a problem, provided the Y pipes arent aimed at a fuel line or something similar. Have them weld it in so the open ends face downward towards the pavement.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT