Exaust Setup Ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Exaust Setup Ideas

Hey everyone! I've been listening and looking for an exhaust setup that I will love! I like it loud, but if I need to drive in town id rather not get the cops called on me. So something loud, but I can hush it up while doing regular driving. Now I really like the SLP loudmouth and Flomaster Outlaws, but again I haven't decided on what I really love! thatd be great if you guys could also give me Youtube links to your favorite or recommended exhaust setups. However youtube only gives you a taste of the actual sound.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Borla ATAK Axlebacks..
BlackHorse1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Exaust Setup Ideas

Borla Stingers are supposed to be this way...get loud when you get on it, but no droan when you drive normally. I have Flowmaster muffler delete with stock cats and H midpipe. Mine works this way too, but I personally don't think it sounds as good as the Borlas or Magnaflow magna packs. If you go without cats, it will be much louder.

Anybody confirm that...?
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Borla's FTW!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have had many compliments about my s type borla catback. It was expensive it I love the sound. It's my dd no drone and is quiet under 2k
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmag View Post
I have had many compliments about my s type borla catback. It was expensive it I love the sound. It's my dd no drone and is quiet under 2k
S-type are the same as Stingers, right?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have this same problem, but I feel the borlas are a little too much, anybody have any positive experiences with the outlaws by flowmaster?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweze001
I have this same problem, but I feel the borlas are a little too much, anybody have any positive experiences with the outlaws by flowmaster?
Borla is supposed to be the top but ive never seen them in person n i cant justify the money for them. I think its a preference tossup for 2nd, flowmaster outlaws, roush and gt500s. I love my roush and so do many of us. But i will warn u, they are loud, always. With headers and an x pipe, we call that "race car loud" lol
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5

Borla is supposed to be the top but ive never seen them in person n i cant justify the money for them. I think its a preference tossup for 2nd, flowmaster outlaws, roush and gt500s. I love my roush and so do many of us. But i will warn u, they are loud, always. With headers and an x pipe, we call that "race car loud" lol
Yeah I have a 2010 so they don't make the Roush for mine. So I'm looking primarily at the flowmaster outlaws. What have you heard about those?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I've got the American thunder on my 2010 and I love it
black9D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

S-type are the same as Stingers, right?
There is no Borla "stinger" for the 2011+. "stinger" is the old muffler design, the 2011+ mufflers are a complete redesign and are called the s type.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

There is no Borla "stinger" for the 2011+. "stinger" is the old muffler design, the 2011+ mufflers are a complete redesign and are called the s type.
Thanks, I wonder if the sound changed along with it? I'll have to google s-type and look for a vid. Given Borla's rep, I can't imagine it would sound bad.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Thanks, I wonder if the sound changed along with it? I'll have to google s-type and look for a vid. Given Borla's rep, I can't imagine it would sound bad.
It sounds awesome! I have it. Just got on YouTube and watch all the videos
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Im doing the 2013 gt500 conversion, as in putting the axlebacks and changing the rear diffuser, not until late september that is
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #15

I used to be a huge Borla fan and loved them on my '95 5.0, but I refuse to pay $800 for two mufflers, two tips, and two 6" inch bends. It's shameful to charge that much!

I had decided to just build a custom axle back when I first heard the GT500 mufflers. They sounded deep, small bump in volume, no raspyness, no popping, no drone, and the tips don't stick way out like a ricer. Then add in that they only cost $300 and you have a winner.

Here's a clip of my car, with the part # in there. (be aware there are a couple different models)

CCS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS86
I used to be a huge Borla fan and loved them on my '95 5.0, but I refuse to pay $800 for two mufflers, two tips, and two 6" inch bends. It's shameful to charge that much!

I had decided to just build a custom axle back when I first heard the GT500 mufflers. They sounded deep, small bump in volume, no raspyness, no popping, no drone, and the tips don't stick way out like a ricer. Then add in that they only cost $300 and you have a winner.

Here's a clip of my car, with the part # in there. (be aware there are a couple different models)

Sounds good!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="CCS86"]I used to be a huge Borla fan and loved them on my '95 5.0, but I refuse to pay $800 for two mufflers, two tips, and two 6" inch bends. It's shameful to charge that much!

I like the sound of the GT500 mufflers on my 2012 GT. However, I really don't like the 'popping' sound they make on deceleration. IMO it really detracts from an otherwise great sound.

Anyone else with GT500s experience this?

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Sorry, my last post didn't attach right.

I like the sound of the GT500 mufflers on my 2012 GT. However, I really don't like the 'popping' sound they make on deceleration. IMO it really detracts from an otherwise great sound.

Anyone else with GT500s an a new 5.0 experiencing this also?
MarkJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Only with the offroad xpipe, I've heard a few with otherwise stock exhaust that don't pop like that, cannot speak for offroad hpipe though

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Only with the offroad xpipe, I've heard a few with otherwise stock exhaust that don't pop like that, cannot speak for offroad hpipe though
Other than HP gains being higher than H pipe setups, I haven't heard anyone who like the X pipe sound better than H. I think I'd rather have the sound than the extra HP. It's probably not any increase you'd feel and you'll be hearing it every time you drive it.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Actually I haven't heard a 5.0 with an offroad hpipe, at least not that I know of, and I absolutely love my xpipe

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

Anyone else with GT500s an a new 5.0 experiencing this also?

What part # are your mufflers? Mine don't pop at all.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Racing GT500 Style Axle Back Exhaust Kit M-5230-MGTCA1. Got them from Latemodelrestoration.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post
Ford Racing GT500 Style Axle Back Exhaust Kit M-5230-MGTCA1. Got them from Latemodelrestoration.

That's weird, same as mine. Any other mods? (exhaust, tuner, engine, etc)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, that's the only mod. Everything else is stock. I guess it's possible mine have just lost some of whatever material was inside (fiberglass?).
Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I have the magna flow exhaust from the headers back and they are great! I've had so many people telling me it's the best sounding mustang they've ever heard, they say it sounds like a bad *** car! What I like about it is if you don't get on the gas, it has a low deep rumble and not to loud! But if you get on it, It get loud up around 4000 RPM, but sound great!! I recommend this set-up! If interested, I can give you the part #s
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I have the Borla "S" type catback with x. I ran it for 7000 miles and it was and is hands down the best sound I ever heard on these cars period.
Well,HP junkie here, so I pulled the X and put on a UPR O/R X-Pipe. Re-tuned and power is nice.Race car loud is, well, not cool at times.The overall sound is not even close to the music of before. So,my question......Do I pull the O/R-X and put the catted X back on and lose power? Sounds better for sure! My other option is to pull the S type axlebacks and put something else on which I may not like and regret? Stuck on this!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I think you'd be happy with GT500's with my offroad pipes it's perfect noise and tone

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT