Winter Driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Winter Driving

Hey guys! I was curious what your recommendations for winter driving might be. I live in Wisconsin and there is plently of snow around In the winter. It's my DD, so I don't have an alternative. Also it's a 13' 5.0. What should I do to prepare the car for driving through winter snow? How often should I get car washes done to deal with salt/ice? Let me know all your experience with winter and preparing the pony for it.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Winter Driving

buy a beater, only way to go
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2
+1
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
+1

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Look on CL, u can find a 4wd beater for the price of a good set of snow tires.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Haha or mud flaps lol
2000_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
My experience driving in snow; I got my mustang in hawaii with a set of old drag radials then moved to connecticut for a school. It snowed a lot there and the moment those tires touched so much as a good frost I was stuck! So I got a set of nexen n7000 (awsome tires) and I was able to drive on packed snow without too much trouble. Moved to washington and got a ramcharger for $1200 for winter and off-roading.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im not sure how the newer stangs handle but if its anything like my 02 gt i wouldnt even try. I have only driven it once it snow and thats because it started snowing out no where. The roads were covered in snow, it was like that wet snow. I had brand new winter tires since the car had them when i bought them. I couldnt get any traction whatsoever the car kept fishtsiling. i did about 20mph the the whole way home. By the way im in illinois the only way you'll be fine is if we have a mild winter again like the last one. As for washing your car i say once a week and wash it whenever it get close or above 32 degrees because thats when salt starts messing with your rims and car
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Like Gil said get a beater!!, find you a 2, 3k truck, ranger, s10, etc and you will be much better off!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If Reno got more snow, I wouldn't DD mine. This past winter we got a couple times with maybe an inch or two and I still DD'd mine with some Continental all seasons on the oem 19" wheels. The traction control works well on this car. I've read about a few guys up in Canada DD their 5.0 with dedicated winter tires and some weight in the trunk and they said it drives super easy in the snow
Wilhelm0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
As said buy a 2-3-4-5k beater.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Last year my beater broke down on me so I had to drive the stang in a north Dakota winter. After I put a full set of blizacks on it drive really great with the advance track on. I just floored it and it only spinned the tires enough to keep moving as long the snow is less than 6 inch you should have no problems with ice or snow.
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #12

Region: Texas

I am amazed at how many people driving Mustangs get all freaked out when the car starts "fishtailing". A little throttle oversteer is something you should be capable of handling if you drive a high power rear drive car. I'm not saying Mustangs are good winter cars, but vehicle control is a damn important skill.

I got a '95 GT when I was 18 and still lived in Maine. I drove it for a full northern winter on 17" Z-rated rubber. It's a great opportunity to practice control at slower speeds. I used to drive for half mile stretches using the crown in the road and the throttle to keep the car at a steady angle sideways in one direction. No electronic nannies. I frequently made it to work on time when people driving Jeeps were calling in.

Get a beater to avoid wear and tear on your really nice car, not because you're scared to drive it. Those who are should really go out to a huge wet parking lot and pratice or sign up for a HPDE!
CCS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #13

Region: Michigan
I know its your daily driver I would just get another car for the winter I have a 85 mustang gt had it since 1989 and I never drove it in the winter. Here in Michigan we use to much road salt and my mustang would probably be in the junk yard by now just rusted apart. But today it looks showroom new. I drive my Honda civic or my ford f -250. Usually it's the Honda good on gas plus it's what I call a throw away car ha... ha...
Jdub85stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
I am amazed at how many people driving Mustangs get all freaked out when the car starts "fishtailing". A little throttle oversteer is something you should be capable of handling if you drive a high power rear drive car. I'm not saying Mustangs are good winter cars, but vehicle control is a damn important skill.

Those who are should really go out to a huge wet parking lot and pratice or sign up for a HPDE!
+1. Knowing how to drive your car is more important than any mod or traction control.

Winter in Chicagoland can get pretty bad but the plows are usually out as soon as the flakes start falling. If you can manage to get it to a main road, usually you are fine. If you get stuck on an unplowed road, take it easy and manage your throttle. Sometimes, good pedal control is more important than good steering wheel control. Just because you are sliding does not mean you have lost control.

As for keeping it clean: find a good touchless spray wash place to knock off the salt and grime. Once every week or two and you should be fine. Get a good coat of wax on it before snow season hits, too.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
What I'm more worried about is how my car will look in 10 years. Is it possible to maintain my car in excellent condition while driving it every winter if I take extra precautions and do weekly clean-ups on it? My parents help me out with my car. But only one car. So the beater would be paid all by myself. I just don't know if I can afford that.. I would really like to have one though. Now the other route is getting some beastly snow tires and throwing lots of weight in the back. I just don't want my car to be trashed in several years of driving it through winters.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer
What I'm more worried about is how my car will look in 10 years. Is it possible to maintain my car in excellent condition while driving it every winter if I take extra precautions and do weekly clean-ups on it? My parents help me out with my car. But only one car. So the beater would be paid all by myself. I just don't know if I can afford that.. I would really like to have one though. Now the other route is getting some beastly snow tires and throwing lots of weight in the back. I just don't want my car to be trashed in several years of driving it through winters.
Thats up to you, it is possible to drive your mustang in the winter, but your gonna have to take really good care of it. But for me, the wear and tear isnt worth it, so i gots me a beater for the winter!!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
My car is a DD as we, I've just come to live with the fact there will be nicks and such in the paint, I still get sick when it happens but a car that's gets used will have imperfections

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just drive it, rain or shine (or snow). It's just a car and good maintenance and regular cleaning will keep it nice unless it's a show car. I have found that the traction control is quite good as long as you don't try and break the laws of physics.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #19

Region: Colorado

I have a 2001 4x4 ranger that works well in the winter. Drive the mustangs other than the days when I have snow and ice.

I see other hard to handle cars on the road those days but do not wish to wreck this one.
jc121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT