Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tire replacement Brembo Wheels

• Bridgestone Potenza S-04 P. P. F. 255/40R19 & B. 285/35R-19 and rear BOSS antirollbar

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport oem size 255/40R-19 all tires

• Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position 285/35R-19 all tires.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/40R19 all tires

• Michelin Pilot S. S. f. 255/40R-19 & Bridgestone Potenza S-04 P.P. 285/35R-19 & r. BOSS antirollbar

Undecided: tires replacement for Brembo wheels

7K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  claudermilk 
#1 ·
Now is the time for me to replace the short lived-great handling pirelli's that are part of my Brembo package. I'm planing to keep my regular wheels, but I have two things in consideration: great handling performance and great looks. I really like the Michellin Pilot Super Sport (but does not come in the size that I like 285/35R19), and my second choice is the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, that comes in that size. If I go stagered with oem size front (255/40R-19) with 285/35R19 in the back, that is simillar to the BOSS consfiguration, I might need to include a bigger rear antiroll bar (BOSS size) to reduce the understeer created, and this will be an additional cost to my pocket.
Please advice, specially if you have one of these setups.

#21 ·
Adding 285s in the rear in my experience has made the car handle much more stable at the limit. I have continental extreme contacts dw tuned.
I will say that I have 275/35 and I think the tire could be meatier, but also that I like to do spirited driving as well and sometimes can see where I've driven on the sidewalls
GrabberBlue5.0, so you mean, that you will prefeer the 275/40 if you have to do it all over again?

#14 ·
How do you like them? While I am still on new OEM rubber, I know it won't last long & these are the first I am looking at for replacement. The Contis get really good reviews on Tirerack & the longer wear rating is nice.

I just bought BF Goodrich G Force Comp-2 in 275/40/19 for the rear. I get them mounted tomorrow and I will let you know
Yes, keep us updated--this is my second choice. I have had good experience with BFG G Force tires in the past.

#4 ·
I'm checking both options stagered and non stagered. No preference. Looking for grest handling!

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Any understeer behaviour with just 285's in the back (no boss rear sway bar)?

#7 ·
I have also considered doing this same thing you are looking into, if I do this, I will not worry in the least about a sway bar, while there might be a very slight amount of understeer you could always counter with some power oversteer. you really would have to be a somewhat seasoned driver (not to say you are not) in order to really be worried about such a slight increase in understeer, and again, just power over steer it a little, that's what I do anyways and I'm running 275's on all corners

#13 ·
unless the rear rims are wider dont stagger the tire size, you cant rotate. The look will be off (at least to me) as well having the tire sticking out more on the rim on the back. Buy wider rims or keep the same front/rear and rotate. You can consider spacers if you want them to sit out a bit more in the rear.

#16 ·
Very interesting information that I gathered from your good suggestions, I did came to a conclusion at least good for me:
I guess I will stay away of the Stagered set up, unless I go for a wider rear wheel and bigger swaybar to compensate for the understeer (something to look at: the BOSS set up).
On my research, the 285 is recommended for 9.5 or wider wheels (like the ones on the BOSS rear setup).
Michellin Pilot Super Sport is my choice of tire, after looking at Car & Driver recent comparation and tirerack's. It came on top as a very well balanced tire (yes is expensive, but justified the cost).
I will remain with the oem size (255/40R-19), I think that FORD did a great job, if we can remember, that his car was compared by MT to the BMW M3 on the track and did very well. My second choice is the 265/40R-19 Suggested as one of the upgrades by discount tire, or the 265/35R-19.
I guess that no one is wrong, it comes up to personal preference.

Thanks all for your shared knowledge & experience.!!!

#18 ·
Let us know how you like them once you have a few miles on them.

BTW, it wasn't just MT that compared the car to an M3, it was Ford. I caught a short documentary a while back on the Boss Laguna Seca. It covered one of the final test sessions they ran at the track & claimed the Ford engineers wouldn't sign off on the car until it beat an M3. Since there are Laguna Secas in the dealer showrooms... If nothing else, the show did catch Parnelli Jones, Tommy Kendall, and Jimmy Vasser getting out of the car after their test/evaluation laps--they were grinning like kids who were given the key to a candy store & told to have at it. :D

#19 ·
Following your good suggestions. Basically it seems then that the 265 will not look good enough. But do you think that the 275 will handle better, besides looking better. The other doubt is, of which sidewall height is better for our cars if looking for spirited driving, some trips to the track (curves) and to have good looking. The sidewall height of 35 or the 40. Taking in consideration that is the oem brembo wheel (9X19)?

#23 ·
GrabberBlue5.0, Do you have the 3.73 gears? If yes, how does it behaves with that tire size 275/35?

#25 ·
M3hunter said:
GrabberBlue5.0, Do you have the 3.73 gears? If yes, how does it behaves with that tire size 275/35?
Yes, have 3.73, 1st gear is almost useless unless tires are hot lol, gotta really be able to slip clutch or else not go full throttle, will chirp 4th still with my mods, all in all a great size though, still manage to cruise in bottom half of 2k rpms up to 80 mph and gets decent gas mileage, only notice understeer when really pushing car hard in corners

#26 ·
Thanks Grabberblue5.0, you gave me a clear picture of the tire and how the GT feels.:good:

#27 ·
Thanks Guys, you made a believer of me. Yes I will follow your advice over the 275, but will go with the "40" sidewall height for better MPG and since I don't want any issue with my 1st. shift. Apparently the "35" is too fast (light & low side walls) for the 3.73 gears to handle them right.
I wonder if the 275/40, will they fit on my car with my lowering in front of 1 inch and the rear 1 1/4?

#30 ·
[Thanks Buddies! Great help!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.