Brake Rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Brake Rotors

Hey everyone. I would like to replace my Rotors especially the front ones. Can anyone tell me what are the best? I have standard brakes on my 5,0 but I drive at very high speeds plus I added some parts like 302 intake 4.10 gears and so on. I'm currently in Germany and therefore go over 170 if traffic allows it (hunting porsche ). Does anyone have any ideas on what to buy if i don't want to upgrade to brembo?
Thanks
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Do you mean 170 km/h? Unless you're driving like you are on a road course, I think the stock brakes are ok. I don't know what aftermarket brakes would be good for you, but you may want to consider brake cooling ducts. Just FYI, those mods have nothing to do with braking performance and I hope you're not slamming on your brakes at those speeds...you'll fry your pads in no time.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Brake Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
... I hope you're not slamming on your brakes at those speeds...you'll fry your pads in no time.
I think that's the point of the question. Upgraded pads would be the first thing to look at. I'm not an expert on what's out there for Mustangs (yet), but I'm sure someone here will have good suggestions. If I were looking right now I'd start with Hawk, EBC, Porterfield.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post
Do you mean 170 km/h? Unless you're driving like you are on a road course, I think the stock brakes are ok. I don't know what aftermarket brakes would be good for you, but you may want to consider brake cooling ducts. Just FYI, those mods have nothing to do with braking performance and I hope you're not slamming on your brakes at those speeds...you'll fry your pads in no time.
You're mistaken. **** happens, even on the autobahn and you need to be able to slow down fast and straight. The stock brakes are in no way ok for this duty. Fine for NA, where we potter around generally and make one stop at a time, totally inadequate for use at sustained higher speeds.

I'd suggest the poster at the very least get upgraded pads like Hawks, braided lines will make the pedal feel better, upgrade the brake fluid, the Boss cooling ducts are a good idea and consider saving up for a major brake upgrade. The BBP on this car is, in my opinion, the minimum standard for the requirements of the situation you have.

Consider also, ditching the stock ASR tires for something dedicated for high speed/high performance, like a Michelin Pilot Sport or Continental Sport Contact. That's a big improvement in braking performance right there.
5LHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
^All very good info, but start with the fluid. If you havent upgraded to DOT4, at those speeds, do so immediately. I boiled the stock DOT3 with, what I consider, light use.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO

You're mistaken. **** happens, even on the autobahn and you need to be able to slow down fast and straight. The stock brakes are in no way ok for this duty. Fine for NA, where we potter around generally and make one stop at a time, totally inadequate for use at sustained higher speeds.

I'd suggest the poster at the very least get upgraded pads like Hawks, braided lines will make the pedal feel better, upgrade the brake fluid, the Boss cooling ducts are a good idea and consider saving up for a major brake upgrade. The BBP on this car is, in my opinion, the minimum standard for the requirements of the situation you have.

Consider also, ditching the stock ASR tires for something dedicated for high speed/high performance, like a Michelin Pilot Sport or Continental Sport Contact. That's a big improvement in braking performance right there.
I agree with what you're saying...my comment on driving like he is on a road course relates to this. Road course = quick braking at high speeds. Otherwise, I agree with your suggestions. I was looking at it as a quick high speed run to 100 or so mph (assuming he is stating 170 km/h), followed by gradual braking. But I guess I misinterpreted the implications of the question. Sustained high speed driving and braking would require upgraded brakes, lines, fluid, and pads, among other things. Didn't mean to spread misinformation...thanks for providing more info to the OP.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Try BAER Decelarotors and Decelapads, I like to drive back roads on the spirited side (lol) and I've never had a problem with them and I love em. The rotors are cross-drilled and slotted, never had any brake fade issues

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Oh and they look good too
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Op. I would recomend much of what has been said here. Dot 4 or better fluid. Braided lines for sure. More agressive pads and a set of high quality drilled rotors is a good start. Baer makes a.great big brake kit for your car which I seriously recomend if you're going to be doing high speeds like this. The stockers are good for 70-0 but not so much from higher speeds than that. The brembo brake kit would even be a good investment for you.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I'm actually talking 170 mph plus (275 kmh) but of course not all the time. But I really want to see what the top speed of my pony is. I guess 210 mph should be possible. The brake fluid has been changed. I used racing standard. I looked online at those ebc rotors. They look great but what good is that if I can't stop.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Ps: changing the tiers was the first thing i did. Currently I'm running on 255 in front and 275's (Dunlop Gt sport max) in the back. Very good tiers by the way. They stick like glue when you warm them up properly.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

They will stop you a hell of a lot better than your stock brakes and they don't fade
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I'm actually talking 170 mph plus (275 kmh) but of course not all the time. But I really want to see what the top speed of my pony is. I guess 210 mph should be possible.
I sincerely doubt you'll reach 210 -- the wind-resistance generated by the shape of our cars should see to that.
12gtpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gtpdx

I sincerely doubt you'll reach 210 -- the wind-resistance generated by the shape of our cars should see to that.
Well 180 is absolutely no problem. The only problem is finding a long enough stretch of highway with no traffic. I give it a try and keep you updated.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I thought these cars were electronically limited to 145?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull

Well 180 is absolutely no problem. The only problem is finding a long enough stretch of highway with no traffic. I give it a try and keep you updated.
You wont get ur car anywhere near 200 mph without serious aero work and serious power upgrades.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Lol how would he even know he was goin 170? I thought the 5.0 speedo only went to 160
angelofrat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofrat42
Lol how would he even know he was goin 170? I thought the 5.0 speedo only went to 160
Gps?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I didn't do anything on the bodywork but sure added some he's. According to the last dino 511 hp and 620 nm. Your right ford is limiting the cars but if you run any tune that's automaticly removed. As far as the speed reading goes there are two ways. First GPS and secondly the spedo test mode where you can show you speed digital where normaly your milige stands. But GPS is much more accurate. But I guess we slip of the subject. Has anyone tried the upgrade of the standard Rotors (12,5 I believe) to 14in Rotors?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

well, that's what the BBP rotors are so, yeah, they work pretty good, for stock stuff. I'd say, they've saved the car a time or two since I've owned it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT