Throttle body question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Throttle body question?

Was thinking about getting a aftermarket tb. Is there any benefits to it? I read different things. Any advice would be great.
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 681
Im also wondering this, ive seen people say that it didnt make a difference at all!!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Im also wondering this, ive seen people say that it didnt make a difference at all!!
Yea I've seen that just no sure if its true.
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Re: Throttle body question?

pretty confident that without a tune and increased airflow demands from the engine, you won't see jack in terms of increases.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
pretty confident that without a tune and increased airflow demands from the engine, you won't see jack in terms of increases.
So a CAI + tune + throttle body= more hp??
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
pretty confident that without a tune and increased airflow demands from the engine, you won't see jack in terms of increases.
If you have a cai it will help that out a little bit noticeable? Probably not.. Basically just a bigger hole to flow threw
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac

If you have a cai it will help that out a little bit noticeable? Probably not.. Basically just a bigger hole to flow threw
Ok thanks!
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Re: Throttle body question?

it's the engine that determines its airflow demands, not the CAI or the throttle body. You can do some of increasing this demand with a tune, or good old fashioned hot rodding like headers and exhaust. Bottom line, no increase in demand for air = 0 gain from any airflow part. This isn't a '90s Honda here, sucking life through a Macdonald's straw.

I don't think you'll see much gain on the TB as there's no way in hell a tune is going to increase the demand for air byond the stock TB's ability to flow. People run supercharged engines with the stock Tb all the time.

Tune is where most of the gain is in a Tune and CAI combo, like 90%+
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
tgmeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 285
You'd probably seen some gain along with a tune and CAI, but probably more than anything you'd see a bump in your MPG. Not significant, but some. Increase MPG: Get air in and get it out!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
Re: Throttle body question?

It's just not as simple as "air in, air out". When it comes to changing the TB, chances are just as good you'd see a drop in mpg from that, as you'd have reduced velocity at the throttle plate and you'd end up opening the throttle more to overcome it. Tunes, though, increasing mpg, yeah, I'd say that's highly likely and is reflected in alot of people's experience, including mine.

All this simple stuff around "engines are just air pumps" is a way of explaining a very complex fluid dynamics and physics problem for dummies. It isn't that simple and requires a great deal more insight to ensure improvements are made. This is the stuff Ford engineers sweat bullets over and spend millions of dollars and years testing before deciding on a final product spec. There might be a chance, if you're say, a descendent of Smokey Yunick, that you might make an item that improves on something they've done, especially since you don't operate with the same cost/emissions compliance/regulatory framework that they do but, better do your research and see what the consensus of opinion is in places like this.

I'll give you mine: leave the throttle body alone. Buy a good quality aftermarket tune with a CAI, (if you insist on an aftermarket CAI) and see how you feel.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Thanks everyone! I was just curious. I'll just leave the tb alone. I already have borla s type catback. I just gonna look for a good quality CAI and tune now.
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Aftermarket throttle Bodies are a waste if money. The opening on the front of the intake manifold is only 80mm. The same size as the factory TB. Increasing the size of the TB totalling negates itself as soon as the air hits the change in size, it can also cause uneeded turbulence. Not to mention that the intake ports going from the heads to the IM are currently port matched and not changing in size. In a perfect world IM woul be 90mm and buying a 90mm TB to match could yeild 1-2% hp gains in NA form. This could benefit you more if you had FI. Use your money in other areas.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
Aftermarket throttle Bodies are a waste if money. The opening on the front of the intake manifold is only 80mm. The same size as the factory TB. Increasing the size of the TB totalling negates itself as soon as the air hits the change in size, it can also cause uneeded turbulence. Not to mention that the intake ports going from the heads to the IM are currently port matched and not changing in size. In a perfect world IM woul be 90mm and buying a 90mm TB to match could yeild 1-2% hp gains in NA form. This could benefit you more if you had FI. Use your money in other areas.
I am thanks! I'm investing in a CAI and tune. Already have a catback exhaust.
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Re: Throttle body question?

tune will change exhaust note... in a good way!
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
tune will change exhaust note... in a good way!
I have a 13' GT with borla s type catback. What do you recommend?
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
I didn't mean that specific tuners will make an exhaust sound different, just that a tune in general will make it sound more aggressive. If you want tuner recommendations however I will give you that.

Lund/lethal, vmp are the top 2. Also most expensive and sometimes hard to get a hold of due to such high volume of customers. Lund is actually expanding right now to keep up with demand.

Evolution is another good tuner and if you want top notch customer service, AM is great, not the most powerful of tunes but very safe, and a larger operation in general so they will be easier to deal with as far as not having to wait as much. Also cannot forget Steeda.

Really just now starting to learn about C&L but from what I have heard the guy that owns and operates C&L actually started the bamachips program before selling it off to AM/bama and I hear he is also a phenomenal tuner. From the things I have read from him he has really done his R&D and knows the coyotes very well

If I'm forgetting any noteworthy tuners please chime in

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Just Reread the info about C&L, Doug was former owner of bamachips, he is just the tuner of C&L, just wanted to clear that up. Still great at tuning though
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I didn't mean that specific tuners will make an exhaust sound different, just that a tune in general will make it sound more aggressive. If you want tuner recommendations however I will give you that.

Lund/lethal, vmp are the top 2. Also most expensive and sometimes hard to get a hold of due to such high volume of customers. Lund is actually expanding right now to keep up with demand.

Evolution is another good tuner and if you want top notch customer service, AM is great, not the most powerful of tunes but very safe, and a larger operation in general so they will be easier to deal with as far as not having to wait as much. Also cannot forget Steeda.

Really just now starting to learn about C&L but from what I have heard the guy that owns and operates C&L actually started the bamachips program before selling it off to AM/bama and I hear he is also a phenomenal tuner. From the things I have read from him he has really done his R&D and knows the coyotes very well

If I'm forgetting any noteworthy tuners please chime in

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Just Reread the info about C&L, Doug was former owner of bamachips, he is just the tuner of C&L, just wanted to clear that up. Still great at tuning though
Thanks for the info grabber. Greatly appreciated!
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Edens5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 361
Save ur money for a SC. Do ur cosmetic mods n drop a SC on it.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonster13

I have a 13' GT with borla s type catback. What do you recommend?
Steeda and aed are IMO the best tunes out there. Sure maybe Lund is the most aggressive but also he has had engine failures running his tunes. Steeda has a relationship with ford directly and Shawn at aed had you datalog your car before and after your tune so he can write your tune directly for your car so it's not just a tune made for every car.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemonster13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Steeda and aed are IMO the best tunes out there. Sure maybe Lund is the most aggressive but also he has had engine failures running his tunes. Steeda has a relationship with ford directly and Shawn at aed had you datalog your car before and after your tune so he can write your tune directly for your car so it's not just a tune made for every car.
Cool thanks!
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Premium
brembo package
heat extractor hood
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Re: Throttle body question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Aftermarket throttle Bodies are a waste if money. The opening on the front of the intake manifold is only 80mm. The same size as the factory TB. Increasing the size of the TB totalling negates itself as soon as the air hits the change in size, it can also cause uneeded turbulence. Not to mention that the intake ports going from the heads to the IM are currently port matched and not changing in size. In a perfect world IM woul be 90mm and buying a 90mm TB to match could yeild 1-2% hp gains in NA form. This could benefit you more if you had FI. Use your money in other areas.
I have been wondering about that while researching options for my car. It seemed odd that the FRPP TB comes with that adapter to bring the opening back to 80mm--my thought was "ok, so what's the point?"

Seems like these are only worthwhile for those with more radical mods using FI.

Thanks for the information on this, and on the tuners. I'm also looking at what the landscape on them is (total newbie to the Mustang world).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Glad i could help
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
coyote414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 218
Any explanations for the dyno graphs showing 20hp and 20 ft lb gains under the curve? I'm not saying its likely to get those gains, but how they were accomplished
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:00 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.