Has anybody tried Dynomaster app? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Has anybody tried Dynomaster app?

I made my first ever 1/4 mile run and used an Android app called Dynomaster to time it. Has anybody tried this? Just wondering how accurate it is since I have no official reference point. By the way, I ran a 14.84 at 106.3 mph. There was a lot of wheel spin and it was a very hot day. I know I can do better.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
dellito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Has anybody tried Dynomaster app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito View Post
I made my first ever 1/4 mile run and used an Android app called Dynomaster to time it. Has anybody tried this? Just wondering how accurate it is since I have no official reference point. By the way, I ran a 14.84 at 106.3 mph. There was a lot of wheel spin and it was a very hot day. I know I can do better.
I almost can't fathom it's possible to take that long in a 5.0 with 3.73s, even on a hot day with street tires. That thing has to be off.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I almost can't fathom it's possible to take that long in a 5.0 with 3.73s, even on a hot day with street tires. That thing has to be off.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My 60 ft time was 3.5 sec at 27.38 mph. I think my errors were right at launch. Do these numbers seem slow too?
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My 60 ft time was 3.5 sec at 27.38 mph. I think my errors were right at launch. Do these numbers seem slow too?
That's also so bad that I almost can't believe it's true. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending to you, I just don't think the app is accurate. Unless you did a high RPM clutch dump and burned out for about a full second or more, those numbers shouldn't be possible.

On street tires you shouldn't be launching over 2k, and even that is probably dicey, especially if you're not on the sticky surface of a drag strip.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito

Slow is not the word.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellito

Yep pretty slow.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's also so bad that I almost can't believe it's true. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending to you, I just don't think the app is accurate. Unless you did a high RPM clutch dump and burned out for about a full second or more, those numbers shouldn't be possible.

On street tires you shouldn't be launching over 2k, and even that is probably dicey, especially if you're not on the sticky surface of a drag strip.
Believe me, no offense. I have no idea what I'm doing. I usually turn left and right to get thrills. Kind of a lateral G kind of guy and not necessarily longitudinal G guy. I've been driving fast cars for 30 years just never drag racing.

There was a lot of wheel spin. Like seeing smoke in the mirror a lot. The car was even a little sideways

I want to try again. What do you recommend for a good launch? What about the traction/stability control mode. I'm on street tires.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Believe me, no offense. I have no idea what I'm doing. I usually turn left and right to get thrills. Kind of a lateral G kind of guy and not necessarily longitudinal G guy. I've been driving fast cars for 30 years just never drag racing.

There was a lot of wheel spin. Like seeing smoke in the mirror a lot. The car was even a little sideways

I want to try again. What do you recommend for a good launch? What about the traction/stability control mode. I'm on street tires and deserted country roads.
Here's the thing about the traction control and stability control ... it's a double-edged sword. You're going to be losing power the more the nannies are on, so if it's full on your times are going to be a lot lower (google "torque management"). Sport mode will let you get a bit more frisky on the launch, but if you spin too hard you're going to be back in the torque reduction scenario. Your best bet for a good run is to get the launch down pat and run with advancetrac off.

If you're trying to get a good launch on street tires, which is pretty hard to do btw so don't beat yourself up, you can forget ever dumping the clutch. With a 400+ HP V8, you're going to spin any street tire. Try easing off the clutch, and rolling into the throttle. If you have many mods you may never be able to go completely WOT on street tires. I know that even on my 275 NT05s I start to lose traction in the upper RPM range at WOT.

I'm not a drag racing king, so someone may chime in with better ideas, but this is what I've found works for me. Good luck and stay safe out there.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's the thing about the traction control and stability control ... it's a double-edged sword. You're going to be losing power the more the nannies are on, so if it's full on your times are going to be a lot lower (google "torque management"). Sport mode will let you get a bit more frisky on the launch, but if you spin too hard you're going to be back in the torque reduction scenario. Your best bet for a good run is to get the launch down pat and run with advancetrac off.

If you're trying to get a good launch on street tires, which is pretty hard to do btw so don't beat yourself up, you can forget ever dumping the clutch. With a 400+ HP V8, you're going to spin any street tire. Try easing off the clutch, and rolling into the throttle. If you have many mods you may never be able to go completely WOT on street tires. I know that even on my 275 NT05s I start to lose traction in the upper RPM range at WOT.

I'm not a drag racing king, so someone may chime in with better ideas, but this is what I've found works for me. Good luck and stay safe out there.
Thanks for the tips. I am considering going to the local track during open track time but I kinda wanted to get a feel for what I'm doing too. My mods will eventually be geared for road racing but it thought I would play around with drags while stock.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I downloaded an app called GPS speed free and that thing cannot be accurate. The speedo is off by like 2 mph which may actually be right since I changed wheel sizes. The biggest thing tho is it said I went 0-60 in 3.0 secs lol. Kona blue must be the fastest color!!

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointOh
I downloaded an app called GPS speed free and that thing cannot be accurate. The speedo is off by like 2 mph which may actually be right since I changed wheel sizes. The biggest thing tho is it said I went 0-60 in 3.0 secs lol. Kona blue must be the fastest color!!
Haha it can't be right because we all know grabber blue is fastest

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #13

Region: Europe

Hi guys,

Just to add some words to the Dynomaster app. Unfortunately it is the MOST INACCURATE app to measure car performance !

I did some tests against Racelogic Performance Box and G-Tech Fanatic Pro SS and among all apps that I tested on Android and Windows Mobile (RaceChrono, Ulysse Speedometer, Car Performance with external 10Hz and 1Hz GPS, Torque Pro with ELM327 OBD2 BT module and aDyno with built-in accelerometer), Dynomaster presented TOTALLY INNACURATE results, even with 10Hz GPS !

Support answered after receiving all the logs that "they believe it's due to the Movement Start Mode triggering too early due to accelerometer sensitivity.".

So I asked for refund as they stated on their website I have 30 days for it. They didn't answer since then, no single answer despite several emails, nothing. They also didn't issue corrected version of the app. Their forum is dead, the last posts are from April this year and you can't add any new posts. It is really surprising that some people gave them 5 starts and nobody has really checked its accuracy against Racelogic or G-Tech products.

Despite the total innaccuracy there are some other problems. Sometimes when I export my results to excel format the whole app crashes, app uses only 1 core on dual- and quad-core processors, speech works occasionally, when I click Test Audio nothing happens, when I have movement mode enabled sometimes it speaks the standard text, sometimes not, very unreliable, the whole speech works from time to time. It is also very laggy - when I press Start button it takes several seconds to start, even on very powerful devices like HTC One X, HTC Sensation or Asus Infinity Tab.

Besides that help on their website is very poor, it is really hard to get quickly started with their soft. Putting the really bad support I'm really astonished they take money for this app. They should give it for free with all these issues. So I warn you - think twice before you purchase this app and don't use it for you car performance measurements needs.
mrmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrs
Hi guys,

Just to add some words to the Dynomaster app. Unfortunately it is the MOST INACCURATE app to measure car performance !

I did some tests against Racelogic Performance Box and G-Tech Fanatic Pro SS and among all apps that I tested on Android and Windows Mobile (RaceChrono, Ulysse Speedometer, Car Performance with external 10Hz and 1Hz GPS, Torque Pro with ELM327 OBD2 BT module and aDyno with built-in accelerometer), Dynomaster presented TOTALLY INNACURATE results, even with 10Hz GPS !

Support answered after receiving all the logs that "they believe it's due to the Movement Start Mode triggering too early due to accelerometer sensitivity.".

So I asked for refund as they stated on their website I have 30 days for it. They didn't answer since then, no single answer despite several emails, nothing. They also didn't issue corrected version of the app. Their forum is dead, the last posts are from April this year and you can't add any new posts. It is really surprising that some people gave them 5 starts and nobody has really checked its accuracy against Racelogic or G-Tech products.

Despite the total innaccuracy there are some other problems. Sometimes when I export my results to excel format the whole app crashes, app uses only 1 core on dual- and quad-core processors, speech works occasionally, when I click Test Audio nothing happens, when I have movement mode enabled sometimes it speaks the standard text, sometimes not, very unreliable, the whole speech works from time to time. It is also very laggy - when I press Start button it takes several seconds to start, even on very powerful devices like HTC One X, HTC Sensation or Asus Infinity Tab.

Besides that help on their website is very poor, it is really hard to get quickly started with their soft. Putting the really bad support I'm really astonished they take money for this app. They should give it for free with all these issues. So I warn you - think twice before you purchase this app and don't use it for you car performance measurements needs.
Great write up! This confirms my suspicions.
Comfort Group
Rear Sensing Pkg.
19" Machined Wheels
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Good test man, I just try to stay away from apps like this.
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #16

Region: Europe

Hi guys,

Though I was little sceptical at the beginning, I need to say after my tests that both Racelogic Performance Box and G-Tech Fanatic Pro SS are definitely worth its price. I'm really astonished how accurately it measures current speed. If you stop it will show you 0km/h at the same moment you stopped the car, no delays. The only app that got the same feeling was Torque Pro with data coming from car's ECU through ELM327 OBDII module, no other app was capable to do it in so interactive way, even if it got its data from 10Hz GPS.

Despite that one set had repeatable results similar to Racelogic Performance Box and G-Tech Fanatic Pro SS. It is RaceChrono 1.45+QStarz BT818XT 10Hz GPS+HTC Touch Pro2+Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro (most of the time the difference was +/-0.1s, sometimes 0.2s). Another good set was aDyno 1.0.5+builtin accelerometer+HTC Sensation / One X+Android ICS (requires calibration) and Torque Pro 1.6.6+ELM327 OBD2 BT Adapter 1.5+HTC Sensation / One X+Android ICS. It is interesting that none of the GPS-based performance measuring applications running under Android operating system got accurate results (despite using the same 10Hz GPS as RaceChrono on Windows Mobile) and the Dynomaster performed the worst, the difference was 1,0-1.5 s !!!
mrmrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT