Not another oil thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Not another oil thread

So, I was ready to do my first oil change - I decided to do the first one at about 6400 miles, mainly because it was 100 degrees in my garage and I wanted to be miserable.

I spent days researching oils ... wow.

Just wow.

Never before in the course of human events has there been so much conflicting information about a subject. IMO, to the point where all the info is useless, for every "objective" test there seems to be another that directly conflicts with it. No one can even seem to agree on what a good test it. Even objective testers seem to be unable to agree.

I think the Pork Farmers of America even sponsored a test that showed that melted bacon fat could go 10,000 miles between changes.

So, I picked a premium synthetic. I won't say which one as I don't want to start any debate ... mainly just in awe at hard it was (for me) to arrive at a choice.

Anyway, success ... no ticking or anything like that.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Not another oil thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Never before in the course of human events has there been so much conflicting information about a subject. IMO, to the point where all the info is useless, for every "objective" test there seems to be another that directly conflicts with it. No one can even seem to agree on what a good test it. Even objective testers seem to be unable to agree.
That's because you have a lot of people citing opinions as facts ... The bottom line is that RP/AMSOil/Redline < mainstream "synthetics" < "synthetic blend" < dino oil. If you want to know why that is, do your own research on group III base stocks (what Mobil1, Penzoil, Castrol, etc are made of) vs group IV/V base stocks (RP/AMSOil/Redline). Arrive at your own conclusions.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
This is probably the funniest post i have ever read. Your sarcasm will fit in perfectly with most of the regulars.
You couldnt have said it better. When it comes to oil everyone has there favorites. And its very subjective.
Personally im a fan of royal purple. Some people say they burn some, but i have yet to lose a drop.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yup ... I did my reading and picked a "real" full synthetic. "Real full" > "full"
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
KENDALL 15w40 conventional FTMFW!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yup ... I did my reading and picked a "real" full synthetic. "Real full" > "full"
Then you're golden man. I presume that you also chose an appropriate filter and will enjoy an appropriate drain interval.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I chose a Motorcraft filter for this change ... from what I read they are supposedly pretty decent. I may change to something else next change ... probably after reading more objective tests ...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I chose a Motorcraft filter for this change ... from what I read they are supposedly pretty decent. I may change to something else next change ... probably after reading more objective tests ...
Lol yeah ... good luck with that. Motorcraft filters are decent, Ford runs out to 7500 miles on them and covers the engine under warranty.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Then you're golden man. I presume that you also chose an appropriate filter and will enjoy an appropriate drain interval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Lol yeah ... good luck with that. Motorcraft filters are decent, Ford runs out to 7500 miles on them and covers the engine under warranty.

Don't they specify 10,000 mile change interval on the Mustang on the same filter?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't they specify 10,000 mile change interval on the Mustang on the same filter?
I think you're right actually ... it gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about doing that on Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT