Lord, help Primer2tone help his stupid self. - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #106
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Awesome primer! Another step to completion.
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #107
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yes, I'm starting to get excited. I'll be picking out my wheels this morning and my hood and Boss/CS fascia w/fogs should be here any day this week.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Damn man i hate that,,hope ur all right

Didnt think of that,,if the bags deploy that would be big money
Yeah, I was fine and no, my airbags did not deploy. Thankfully, the actual impact was not that violent. My car, more/less banked off the Jersey barrier.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #108
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

On its was to the body shop.Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2091530439.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	65016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #109
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Lord, help Primer2tone help his stupid self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Holding up great, I don't expect any problems with it. The front end feels great except a slight popping I'm getting on the drivers side, but I think it's my strut mount that blew apart when swapping my springs out. I'm hoping it holds up until I get the scratch for struts and can replace it.

Should be no problem getting the K member, just make sure you get the brace too (and the a-arms if you can afford them). It's all about the same price as the Ford parts. If you're going to order it I'll get you contact info for a guy out there.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

You need this:
2005 - 2012 Mustang GT | K-Members | KM018 - K-member, Standard Motor Mounts, Standard Rack Mounts | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

and this:
2005 - 2012 Mustang GT | A-Arm Support Braces | AAS001 - A-arm Support Brace | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis
Question: Are those parts rated for street duty and suitable to be used on a DD vehicle?
The blurb at the end of the BMR K-member installation instructions, makes me think they are not.

I did a good bit of research a while back on K-members and their supporting parts.
The only company I could find that rated theirs for street usage was Maximum Motorsports.

Just want you guys to be safe.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
I just saw this thread now wtf? Wow well glad to hear u are healthy yet. Sounds like you got a great plan for making her stick out when she's done. Can't wait to see the outcome

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Question: Are those parts rated for street duty and suitable to be used on a DD vehicle?
The blurb at the end of the BMR K-member installation instructions, makes me think they are not.

I did a good bit of research a while back on K-members and their supporting parts.
The only company I could find that rated theirs for street usage was Maximum Motorsports.

I don't see why they would be unsafe, but I wouldn't put serious mods on a car that was my daily driver in the first place. Maybe axle backs and a tune, but other than that, I keep anything I depend on or subject to a lot of street driving stock.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Is this the blurb you're talking about?

Quote:
This product is an aftermarket accessory and is not designed by the vehicles manufacturer for use on this vehicle. As such, buyer assumes all risk of any caused to the vehicle/person during installation or use of this product
Seems pretty standard to me, and I think you would be hard pressed to find any aftermarket parts that didn't carry such a disclaimer. My SCT says something similar before loading the tune, that doesn't mean it's unsafe and/or unsuitable for road use.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #112
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yeah, I appreciate the heads up! This car is my DD but I just bought a Cavalier and I'm going to try to resist driving my mustang as much after I get it back. But I know myself and it won't be long before I get tired of driving the cavalier and start driving my mustang more.
I sat in my mustang for the first time since the wreck yesterday. It is so comfortable, I forgot the way the seats huge you and I forgot about the leg room. That cavalier sucks as far as comfort.

My insurance is really cheap, they are giving me hell about everything. So it's gonna be an ongoing battle. I'm going to get the OEM K member and radiator support after all. :/

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Btw, I will also be returning my car to factory ride hight with the OEM springs. I'm thinking about getting the RTR front, rear and side valance kit.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #113
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
This thread is gettin moisty!..Anywaysss hey primes why are you going back to stock ride height exactly?...
atleast the days of your cavy as your only ride are numbered..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #114
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
This thread is gettin moisty!..Anywaysss hey primes why are you going back to stock ride height exactly?...
atleast the days of your cavy as your only ride are numbered..
Ride quality. Because I do drive my car almost everyday and the city streets here suck giant radioactive donkey balls. And I'm going with the RTR trim which will bring down the body line making the car look lower. I rode in my buddies stock '12 and I almost cried because it was so smooth. Lol
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #115
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Ride quality. Because I do drive my car almost everyday and the city streets here suck giant radioactive donkey balls. And I'm going with the RTR trim which will bring down the body line making the car look lower. I rode in my buddies stock '12 and I almost cried because it was so smooth. Lol
I hear ya on the ride quality my 23yr ol lady doesn't take well to *****y roads. I find the routes with the newest roads when I DD them.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #116
Road Trip!

yeah i hear that to. but i dont dd mine. with all the stuff on my suspension i will say it rides like a tank when hitting bumps.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #117
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I hear ya on the ride quality my 23yr ol lady doesn't take well to *****y roads. I find the routes with the newest roads when I DD them.
Yeah, there's no such thing in C.C. I think the asphalt the City uses comes with potholes built in. Lol
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackal43x Send a message via Skype™ to Jackal43x
Quote:

Yeah, there's no such thing in C.C. I think the asphalt the City uses comes with potholes built in. Lol
Lol, same here worthless construction companies!
Jackal43x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Primer,

Out of curiosity, where did you get your trunk filler/deck lid panel?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #120
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal43x
Primer,

Out of curiosity, where did you get your trunk filler/deck lid panel?
Here's the link.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Classic+Design...05-01/10002/-1
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I didn't realize it wad the CDC, I had that on my '10. It looked completely flat.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Alright called bmr today to talk to them about their k member. They haven't changed the design on three years and their current model they call a street certified. They have sold a little over 3000 of them with 0 incidents. I asked about the message at the end of the install guide and they stated they put that there because they don't take responsibility for the work the installer does. So they are not held reliable for injuries caused by faulty installations. I am neutral about the previous discussion and I am only bringing resolution for the people who google and end up on this thread so they have more answers then questions. I looked up maximum motorsports and they unfortunately don't sell a k mber for s197s so that option was out for me.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Alright called bmr today to talk to them about their k member. They haven't changed the design on three years and their current model they call a street certified. They have sold a little over 3000 of them with 0 incidents. I asked about the message at the end of the install guide and they stated they put that there because they don't take responsibility for the work the installer does. So they are not held reliable for injuries caused by faulty installations. I am neutral about the previous discussion and I am only bringing resolution for the people who google and end up on this thread so they have more answers then questions. I looked up maximum motorsports and they unfortunately don't sell a k mber for s197s so that option was out for me.
HA!!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #124
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Well, I hate to play the devils advocate but out of 3,000 here's 1 failure. I don't know if track use is worse then street use but this is something to look into.

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/road-c...-fracture.html
Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #125
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Well, I hate to play the devils advocate but out of 3,000 here's 1 failure. I don't know if track use is worse then street use but this is something to look into.

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/road-c...-fracture.html
That's one reason why ME is cool for us Mustang owners. We get to research are parts and find out how they do in the real world.

I know we want to see you back in your stang ASAP, but I'm glad for this downtime at the moment.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Anything I state on that would be an opinion but I would say track conditions are more stressful based on you don't accelerate to over a 100 miles an hour everyday on the street. The street does offer pot holes though. Was this the only forum entry u read about the kmember prime?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #127
Road Trip!

im gonna say in drag type racing, more energy is being transfered to the back of the car during acceleration. when you step on the go button the front end actuall gets lighter. even at high speeds, your still driving on a flat surface. so imo drag racining would be no where nears as hard on a k member than daily driving.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

oh i forgot to say though im sure auto cross would be pretty tough on it?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

It would work over your motor mounts though in drag racing more if think. Which makes me ask the question how much power is he running in his motor. The more the engine toques when u launch the more the k member feels it

Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
It would work over your motor mounts though in drag racing more if think. Which makes me ask the question how much power is he running in his motor. The more the engine toques when u launch the more the k member feels it
+1
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #130
Road Trip!

Quote:
very good point. i think that would mainly affect the motor mount areas though. as safety might not be as big of a concern there, but still a concern. either way it still probably wouldnt be as substansial as a huge pot hole.

i think the big picture here is safety no matter where your driving it. a k member failure could be fatal!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #131
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The G's from autox would be a large force on the K member, but I see your point. The K is taking on a lot.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

I bought one but i tell u my concern will be when I hammer down on it because the engine has roughly 668 hp to the fly right now and I will be checking those urethane mounts all the time. The main reason I am getting it is because this will prevent second gear lockout. It is a better design then stock and the mounts hold ur setup in place so I can redline it in first and still find second

Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #133
Road Trip!

Quote:
I bought one but i tell u my concern will be when I hammer down on it because the engine has roughly 668 hp to the fly right now and I will be checking those urethane mounts all the time. The main reason I am getting it is because this will prevent second gear lockout. It is a better design then stock and the mounts hold ur setup in place so I can redline it in first and still find second
i would just keep an eye on it, and do visual inspections frequently.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

very good point. i think that would mainly affect the motor mount areas though. as safety might not be as big of a concern there, but still a concern. either way it still probably wouldnt be as substansial as a huge pot hole.

i think the big picture here is safety no matter where your driving it. a k member failure could be fatal!
Agreed and I think we take that chance a lot whenever we dip into the aftermarket communities lol. Do you think we would see a dime from an aftermarket company if one of their products are bad. I don't see recalls coming from American muscle or blow by racing if something broke prematurely there

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote:

i would just keep an eye on it, and do visual inspections frequently.
Yes also agree with that, I just wish I had a hoist so I didn't have to do the crawling.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #135
Road Trip!

Quote:

Agreed and I think we take that chance a lot whenever we dip into the aftermarket communities lol. Do you think we would see a dime from an aftermarket company if one of their products are bad. I don't see recalls coming from American muscle or blow by racing if something broke prematurely there
nope. thats why its best to be careful and keep up with you shiz.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

nope. thats why its best to be careful and keep up with you shiz.
Speaking of which and only going off topic for a second but do u have that kid of urs trained to do oil changes for u yet?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #137
Road Trip!

Quote:

Speaking of which and only going off topic for a second but do u have that kid of urs trained to do oil changes for u yet?
haha. not yet. be he sure likes crawling under the car with me. i can hand him a bolt and send him for a nut. he will try different ones till he gets it to thread on then bring it back! lol he can also fetch wire connectors and hold a voltmeter lead on demand.so i guess hes coming along for a 3 year old.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #138
Filibuster

Quote:

haha. not yet. be he sure likes crawling under the car with me. i can hand him a bolt and send him for a nut. he will try different ones till he gets it to thread on then bring it back! lol he can also fetch wire connectors and hold a voltmeter lead on demand.so i guess hes coming along for a 3 year old.
Haha..does he fetch coronas too?..lol
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #139
Road Trip!

Quote:

Haha..does he fetch coronas too?..lol
hells yeah..without asking to. for real!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #140
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
Good idea GT!

When I did my research I had a few other manufacturers tell me basically the same thing.
What you should have asked them is IF, they will guarantee them for street use. What they told you just gives them a way out if it should happen to fail. Also note that those numbers and claims are from them, so of course you won't get the whole story. Not that I'm dissing them in the least, you will get that from almost any manufacturer.

I wish you had asked Maximum Motorsports about their K-members for the older Mustangs even if they don't make one for the newer Mustangs, just to compare the difference in the replies. MM says right on their webpage "Tough enough for street, strip, and road course use." BMR does not.

P.S. Do a Google search for BMR K-Member Failures and see what turns up.
Then do the same thing for Maximum Motorsports K-Member Failure.

This could be the cause of a lot of discussion back and forth, but what it is all going to boil down to is this, " Most K-members are not designed, nor suited for continuous safe street usage."
Since the OP carries his children in his car with him at times, I wouldn't really recommend using any aftermarket K-member in his case as he has decide not to do.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT