Lord, help Primer2tone help his stupid self. - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

haha. not yet. be he sure likes crawling under the car with me. i can hand him a bolt and send him for a nut. he will try different ones till he gets it to thread on then bring it back! lol he can also fetch wire connectors and hold a voltmeter lead on demand.so i guess hes coming along for a 3 year old.
Haha great that trick with the bolts and nuts are what I did as a kid. That trick is timeless, soon u will hear him saying lefty loosey righty tighty to remember which way to turn

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #142
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

Haha great that trick with the bolts and nuts are what I did as a kid. That trick is timeless, soon u will hear him saying lefty loosey righty tighty to remember which way to turn
haha. i will start traing him that!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #143
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Good idea GT!

When I did my research I had a few other manufacturers tell me basically the same thing.
What you should have asked them is IF, they will guarantee them for street use. What they told you just gives them a way out if it should happen to fail. Also note that those numbers and claims are from them, so of course you won't get the whole story. Not that I'm dissing them in the least, you will get that from almost any manufacturer.

I wish you had asked Maximum Motorsports about their K-members for the older Mustangs even if they don't make one for the newer Mustangs, just to compare the difference in the replies. MM says right on their webpage "Tough enough for street, strip, and road course use." BMR does not.

P.S. Do a Google search for BMR K-Member Failures and see what turns up.
Then do the same thing for Maximum Motorsports K-Member Failure.

This could be the cause of a lot of discussion back and forth, but what it is all going to boil down to is this, " Most K-members are not designed, nor suited for continuous safe street usage."
Since the OP carries his children in his car with him at times, I wouldn't really recommend using any aftermarket K-member in his case as he has decide not to do.
I approve this message!...cuzzz ima professional I know wtf im dooween!!

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote:

hells yeah..without asking to. for real!
With or without a lime?...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good idea GT!

When I did my research I had a few other manufacturers tell me basically the same thing.
What you should have asked them is IF, they will guarantee them for street use. What they told you just gives them a way out if it should happen to fail. Also note that those numbers and claims are from them, so of course you won't get the whole story. Not that I'm dissing them in the least, you will get that from almost any manufacturer.

I wish you had asked Maximum Motorsports about their K-members for the older Mustangs even if they don't make one for the newer Mustangs, just to compare the difference in the replies. MM says right on their webpage "Tough enough for street, strip, and road course use." BMR does not.

This could be the cause of a lot of discussion back and forth, but what it is all going to boil down to is this, " Most K-members are not designed, nor suited for continuous safe street usage."
Since the OP carries his children in his car with him at times, I wouldn't really recommend using any aftermarket K-member in his case as he has decide not to do.
Agreed, I did leave some room for loop holes. I have also came to the conclusion that I will have to look things over rigorously n often when I do decide to autocross it. I think I have heard enough that if I catch it send photos in n complain that they will send me a new replacement if this one were to break. It's the aftermarket chances and I do wish mm made one for the s197 because their k members looked very well built. I am going with their a arms and a arm brace so you will have my reporting back on this set up as I use it. I don't keep secrets

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #145
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

I approve this message!...cuzzz ima professional I know wtf im dooween!!

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

With or without a lime?...
he dont play with knifes yet.

you sound like a buzzed politician from a tv commercial! hahaha

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:

Good idea GT!

good point. the aftermarket game changes a little bit when kids will be involved.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #146
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Lord, help Primer2tone help his stupid self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
Agreed, I did leave some room for loop holes. I have also came to the conclusion that I will have to look things over rigorously n often when I do decide to autocross it. I think I have heard enough that if I catch it send photos in n complain that they will send me a new replacement if this one were to break. It's the aftermarket chances and I do wish mm made one for the s197 because their k members looked very well built. I am going with their a arms and a arm brace so you will have my reporting back on this set up as I use it. I don't keep secrets
If you haven't already purchased you might take a look at the Griggs units. They have a "Lifetime Warranty".

Street driving and AutoX are the two hardest things on a K-Member is what I understood form my research. The potholes and constant weight transfers and shifts are killer causing the K-members to flex constantly. Drag racing can take a toll on the engine mounts, but usually the mounts themselves will fail first and not the K-member. Just be careful and check often no matter what brand you end up with and I look forward to your reports.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #147
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post

If you haven't already purchased you might take a look at the Griggs units. They have a "Lifetime Warranty".

Street driving and AutoX are the two hardest things on a K-Member is what I understood form my research. The potholes and constant weight transfers and shifts are killer causing the K-members to flex constantly. Drag racing can take a toll on the engine mounts, but usually the mounts themselves will fail first and not the K-member. Just be careful and check often no matter what brand you end up with and I look forward to your reports.
What's the primary reason we look for k member "upgrades", weight drop?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Weight drop is one but the reason I am looking for one is poly urethane bushings all the way around so I don't suffer second gear lock out with 660 hp to the flywheel

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #149
Road Trip!

i belive some k members also allow you to use better controla arms with different geometry.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #150
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post

Weight drop is one but the reason I am looking for one is poly urethane bushings all the way around so I don't suffer second gear lock out with 660 hp to the flywheel
Cool, thanks! Before being educated on this subject, I always thought they were for increased strength and handling.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i belive some k members also allow you to use better controla arms with different geometry.
Yes that also came up in my discussion with bmr

Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #152
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:

What I really liked about it was that if you had the BMR K member and BMR radiator support, you had to option to acquire an additional brace that joined the two. I figured it would help me protect my car in my fight against guardrails. Lol, I might as well gut the bumper and build some bash bars.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #153
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

What I really liked about it was that if you had the BMR K member and BMR radiator support, you had to option to acquire an additional brace that joined the two. I figured it would help me protect my car in my fight against guardrails. Lol, I might as well gut the bumper and build some bash bars.
Bashhh barzz!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #154
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

This is what I was talking about.
Name:   image-3927203300.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  55.4 KB
Looks sick huh?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is what I was talking about. Looks sick huh?
Yeah it does, the only thing that sucks is I don't think u can run a front anti sway bar if you go with the radiator support with the k member

Nevermind you can I just saw it in the pic

Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #156
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Yup! That's race car cool
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #157
Road Trip!

Quote:
It does look sick. The extra stiffness may help handling. But makes me wonder what would happen if you did get in a wreck? I think the possibility for frame damage or something along those lines maybe higher risk. I mean the impact/force has to go somewhere. But who knows, just a thought. But like I said , definitely has the sick factor going on!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #158
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Shoot, screw the frame! Imagine what it would do to the driver. Like you said, impact/force has to go somewhere.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #159
Filibuster

Quote:
Yeah..looks sick for the front wheel drive car it's in...ya got some sweet plans for the cavy bro?...lol

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

And before anyone gets smart..I know im just messin wit primes cuz he loves the cavs!!...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #160
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Yeah..looks sick for the front wheel drive car it's in...ya got some sweet plans for the cavy bro?...lol

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

And before anyone gets smart..I know im just messin wit primes cuz he loves the cavs!!...
It's the GM Bullet!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #161
Road Trip!

Quote:
Shoot, screw the frame! Imagine what it would do to the driver. Like you said, impact/force has to go somewhere.
Haha, very true. Screw the driver what about the stang! Jk
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #162
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

So I stopped by Top Gun paint & body to check on my Jet City Woman and it's more bad news. There is a lot more structural damage underneath then we originally thought. The K member is bent along with the lower control arm, strut, inner tie rod, the rack & pinion is cracked, the steering knuckle is bent, wheel bearing and we discovered that the tow truck driver hooked up to the wrong anchor point under the car and tore the sub body about 8 inches.Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2363614094.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	66189Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2436275055.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	66190
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #163
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
So I stopped by Top Gun paint & body to check on my Jet City Woman and it's more bad news. There is a lot more structural damage underneath then we originally thought. The K member is bent along with the lower control arm, strut, inner tie rod, the rack & pinion is cracked, the steering knuckle is bent, wheel bearing and we discovered that the tow truck driver hooked up to the wrong anchor point under the car and tore the sub body about 8 inches.Attachment 66189Attachment 66190
Man that sux!
Contact the tow company, they should pay for that repair.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #164
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yes. The owner of the body shop had already had the owner of the wrecker company out to look at the car. They accepted full responsibility for the damage and I was told they let the driver go for being careless.
It makes me wonder if the series of beer bottles that were hurled at my house over the weekend had anything to do with that driver being disgruntle.

I've made police reports for both incidents and have relocated my 1911 to a quick access mini safe in my living room in the event that something escalates to more than vandalism. I've got kids at home so their safety is priority one.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Keep your head high brother and even though they are finding more problems the good news is there shouldn't be any stone unturned. No bad parts or anything that they didn't find. Now I don't know of u would be interested but I do have a k member and a arms that I could sell you of u wanted to try and save a little. Car has 23 k miles on it. This weekend it will be coming off for bmr k member and a arms.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I can only imagine how much pain you have been through with this so far. Hopefully they get everything taken care of soon. It's a sad day when a beautiful Mustang like yours gets damaged. Best of luck my friend.
MustangMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #167
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Yes. The owner of the body shop had already had the owner of the wrecker company out to look at the car. They accepted full responsibility for the damage and I was told they let the driver go for being careless.
It makes me wonder if the series of beer bottles that were hurled at my house over the weekend had anything to do with that driver being disgruntle.

I've made police reports for both incidents and have relocated my 1911 to a quick access mini safe in my living room in the event that something escalates to more than vandalism. I've got kids at home so their safety is priority one.
Glad to see there are some companies left that will take responsibility for something without the customer having to go through hoops.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #168
Road Trip!

Quote:

Man. The bad news just keeps coming. Hopefully if it was the wrecker guy throwing beer bottles, it was only a one time thing. Keep those kiddos safe man. Take care primes.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #169
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Let me know if I need to come down and kick some *** with ya bro, I'd make the trip for ya!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wow, that's intense. Is that damage to the underbody even repairable? I hate to say it... But most insurance companies total out cars with frame damage
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #171
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Wow, that's intense. Is that damage to the underbody even repairable? I hate to say it... But most insurance companies total out cars with frame damage
Yeah, the body shop has the section of underbody that they are going to replace. It was about $900. He showed me exactly what they are going to remove. It's just a bunch of glue and tack welds holding it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Let me know if I need to come down and kick some *** with ya bro, I'd make the trip for ya!
If it comes to it, I'll rally up a stampede of mustangs to run that D bag outa town. Lol

Quote:

Man. The bad news just keeps coming. Hopefully if it was the wrecker guy throwing beer bottles, it was only a one time thing. Keep those kiddos safe man. Take care primes.
Yeah, it seems to be getting worse. But I've still got high hopes. The body shop seems pretty confident and they are aware of my expectations.

Quote:

Glad to see there are some companies left that will take responsibility for something without the customer having to go through hoops.
I know. My insurance company has plenty of of hoops for me to jump through however. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMoe
I can only imagine how much pain you have been through with this so far. Hopefully they get everything taken care of soon. It's a sad day when a beautiful Mustang like yours gets damaged. Best of luck my friend.
Thanks man. Thanks for the compliments. I've got a few changes in store, I think y'all will like it.

Quote:
Keep your head high brother and even though they are finding more problems the good news is there shouldn't be any stone unturned. No bad parts or anything that they didn't find. Now I don't know of u would be interested but I do have a k member and a arms that I could sell you of u wanted to try and save a little. Car has 23 k miles on it. This weekend it will be coming off for bmr k member and a arms.
Thanks man, thanks for the offer. One good thing about my insurance and body shop is they both agree that the parts should be OEM and they aren't cutting any corners. But the insurance company is trying to screw me on the paint time and they would not give me the cost to replace the hood.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, the body shop has the section of underbody that they are going to replace. It was about $900. He showed me exactly what they are going to remove. It's just a bunch of glue and tack welds holding it on.

If it comes to it, I'll rally up a stampede of mustangs to run that D bag outa town. Lol

Yeah, it seems to be getting worse. But I've still got high hopes. The body shop seems pretty confident and they are aware of my expectations.

I know. My insurance company has plenty of of hoops for me to jump through however. Lol

Thanks man. Thanks for the compliments. I've got a few changes in store, I think y'all will like it.

Thanks man, thanks for the offer. One good thing about my insurance and body shop is they both agree that the parts should be OEM and they aren't cutting any corners. But the insurance company is trying to screw me on the paint time and they would not give me the cost to replace the hood.

If you need a hood let me know I still have my stock one. Keep charging bud you will squeeze the insurance company for what you need.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #173
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

If you need a hood let me know I still have my stock one. Keep charging bud you will squeeze the insurance company for what you need.
I've got a new cowl hood already. It's F-in sweet!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #174
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Sweet

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
So I stopped by Top Gun paint & body to check on my Jet City Woman and it's more bad news. There is a lot more structural damage underneath then we originally thought. The K member is bent along with the lower control arm, strut, inner tie rod, the rack & pinion is cracked, the steering knuckle is bent, wheel bearing and we discovered that the tow truck driver hooked up to the wrong anchor point under the car and tore the sub body about 8 inches.
That freakin jackass driver, a** whoopin time primer
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT