weird event - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
weird event

So there I was traveling through the Colorado Rockies and I reach the point were there are a lot if steep downhills. So I figure to take advantage of this a shift into neutral and let gravity take over.

Shortly after doing this I notice a new yellow symbol(wrench) light up on my dash. I didn't think much of it till I reached the end of the steep decline and tried to accelerate. When it failed to accelerate like it should have I knew something was wrong.

I immediately took the first exit I could find and parked in at a gas station. I looked up said light the the operator's manual and it said Limp-Home operation and to contact my dealer as soon as possible.

Now I turned my car of and then back on again and the light went away and my car works like it should. Wtf happened and why did it do that, and should I be worried?
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
D00m3dHitm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: weird event

Thats a new one on me.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
This happens to my 05 like 5 times. It will go into fail safe engine mode aka (limp home mode) but after restarting the car it's fine. It haven't done it in 5 months

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
So there I was traveling through the Colorado Rockies and I reach the point were there are a lot if steep downhills. So I figure to take advantage of this a shift into neutral and let gravity take over.

Shortly after doing this I notice a new yellow symbol(wrench) light up on my dash. I didn't think much of it till I reached the end of the steep decline and tried to accelerate. When it failed to accelerate like it should have I knew something was wrong.

I immediately took the first exit I could find and parked in at a gas station. I looked up said light the the operator's manual and it said Limp-Home operation and to contact my dealer as soon as possible.

Now I turned my car of and then back on again and the light went away and my car works like it should. Wtf happened and why did it do that, and should I be worried?
Maybe cause you we're in neutral and getting speed?
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Hmm that's odd, I've coasted down hills like that and never had limp mode kick in

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n View Post

D00m3dHitm4n,

It's very weird this happened with a pretty much stock car and stock tune. If you ever get your hands on a tuner and this happens again, use the tuner to read the code before you turn the car off. Other then that, it's hard to really say what went wrong.

It's possible that since you were heavily accelerating downhill with the throttle blade closed (in neutral), that the PCM sensed an issue with throttle adjustment drive-by-wire and sent put you in limp-mode. Then again, this could be a bunch of other things causing this issue. Definitely have you dealer check your Stang out, just in case!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would disconnect the battery for a few before taking it into the dealer. There may not be anything wrong with the car.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

is your car stick or auto ? if auto you could do major damage to your trans . even't if it's stick still not a good idea to for a long time like a very long mountain could set code's also burn bearing in trans
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

D00m3dHitm4n,

It's very weird this happened with a pretty much stock car and stock tune. If you ever get your hands on a tuner and this happens again, use the tuner to read the code before you turn the car off. Other then that, it's hard to really say what went wrong.

It's possible that since you were heavily accelerating downhill with the throttle blade closed (in neutral), that the PCM sensed an issue with throttle adjustment drive-by-wire and sent put you in limp-mode. Then again, this could be a bunch of other things causing this issue. Definitely have you dealer check your Stang out, just in case!

Shane
Its not on the stock tune... its been on a bama 93 race tune for the past 2 and 1/2 months and then for this road trip I changed it to an 89 street tune
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
D00m3dHitm4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT