O/R H Pipe vs. O/R X Pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
O/R H Pipe vs. O/R X Pipe

What are the differences between the two pipes? Which one is louder? Which has more of a performance gain? Cost difference? Etc! Give me all your input. What do you guys recommend? I think I want to mate one of these pipes with a SLP Loudmouth axleback.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Same cost, better power from xpipe, go with x, offroad h doesn't sound as good IMO

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have a offroad h with American thunder axle back and everyone says it sounds like a old school which is what I wanted. Nice deep rumble at idle. Everyone told me x pipe is more raspy. And if you pair it with SLP it's going to be REALLY loud lol and an x pipe will net more gains because the air is being forced out. So basically h=deeper idle, not as much hp gain, x=more hp gain, raspy tone.
black9D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: O/R H Pipe vs. O/R X Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by black9D5 View Post
I have a offroad h with American thunder axle back and everyone says it sounds like a old school which is what I wanted. Nice deep rumble at idle. Everyone told me x pipe is more raspy. And if you pair it with SLP it's going to be REALLY loud lol and an x pipe will net more gains because the air is being forced out. So basically h=deeper idle, not as much hp gain, x=more hp gain, raspy tone.
Thats a great pointer, and it even came with a summary. Now thats service
gweze001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you black95D. Now this Is my other question. Will I be able to keep it quiet if I want to? Will I be able to have a conversation in the cab? I want an exhaust setup that will be really loud if I want it to be, but I can keep it quiet if I want as well. Do you suspect that there would be a lot of drone with that setup?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer
Thank you black95D. Now this Is my other question. Will I be able to keep it quiet if I want to? Will I be able to have a conversation in the cab? I want an exhaust setup that will be really loud if I want it to be, but I can keep it quiet if I want as well. Do you suspect that there would be a lot of drone with that setup?
No cats with loud mouths= obnoxiously loud... I'd get something a little tamer like borla.

Or do like i just did this and love it, or x with spintech pro street catback.. Its a beast but not too bad at nirmal driving. But when you romp on it it's snarls!!
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anytime man! SLP is never quiet lol I'd suggest looking at borla! SLP loudmouths are...well...loud lol maybe look into borla, roush. SLP Is a straight through exhaust which is why it's so loud look into a chamber muffler that's aggressive. My suggestion is, hop on YouTube and search search search. You'll find somethin you like on there! An exhaust can be a expensive investment!!! Take your time, and do it right the first time!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by black9D5

Anytime man! SLP is never quiet lol I'd suggest looking at borla! SLP loudmouths are...well...loud lol maybe look into borla, roush. SLP Is a straight through exhaust which is why it's so loud look into a chamber muffler that's aggressive. My suggestion is, hop on YouTube and search search search. You'll find somethin you like on there! An exhaust can be a expensive investment!!! Take your time, and do it right the first time!
+1. Ive got slp loudmouths and cant imagine what it would sound like with o/r h or x. Too loud if u ask me
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

X makes a couple (less than 5 hp) more... The H sounds amazing, the way a mustang should sound... I think I have a video of my catless H and steeda axle back combo, if interested pm ur email
coyote414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You want it to be loud or want it to sound like a muscle car?
Really loud and gets attention from 10 blocks away-x pipe
Old school muscle that roars through tinned and off buildings and puts the fear of god into ricers-h pipe lol
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by black9D5
You want it to be loud or want it to sound like a muscle car?
Really loud and gets attention from 10 blocks away-x pipe
Old school muscle that roars through tinned and off buildings and puts the fear of god into ricers-h pipe lol
Thats what i want! OR H pipe along with my Pypes Muffler deletes?! Uh oh!!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Would a SLP Loudmouth axleback alone do what I want? REALLY loud if I want, but quiet if I need it to be? Is adding an O/R X just crazy? Or Would I be quieter driving a jumbo jet? I would like to spend as little money as possible, but I'm also striving to get something I love! I really like downshifting, drifting, then the how exhaust grumbles and cracks. Do SLP's do that? I like youtube, but how close of a match am I getting tto actually hearing it in person?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Would a SLP Loudmouth axleback alone do what I want? REALLY loud if I want, but quiet if I need it to be? Is adding an O/R X just crazy? Or Would I be quieter driving a jumbo jet? I would like to spend as little money as possible, but I'm also striving to get something I love! I really like downshifting, drifting, then the how exhaust grumbles and cracks. Do SLP's do that? I like youtube, but how close of a match am I getting tto actually hearing it in person?
For me the slp loudmouths are perfect. Youtube it. It would be too obnoxious with an off road pipe.
bigsmitty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U want power and noise when u want it? Off road mid pipe and axle backs. People think I'm stock if I'm nice, and they fear me if I rev it, it's exactly what u want
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote414 View Post
X makes a couple (less than 5 hp) more... The H sounds amazing, the way a mustang should sound... I think I have a video of my catless H and steeda axle back combo, if interested pm ur email
If you are looking for one or the other..don't even concern yourself with which one makes the most power. Everything I have read has the power difference very minimal. It all boils down to how you want your car to sound. Youtube is your friend.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have to say YouTube can be helpful but it doesn't always do justice.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm really surprised steeda mufflers don't come up in conversation more often, I'm loving mine
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
If you like crackle and power, then you should get an off road x pipe. Just that with stock mufflers should sound pretty good.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom
I have to say YouTube can be helpful but it doesn't always do justice.
I have to agree. You tube is good for a fraction of what things really sound like. And it's usually just reving in neutral... Or in a garage.. Ifreakin love that one, bunch of retards.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Comes down to sound really. H pipe is deeper and sounds better IMO. X pipes sound more raspy and tinny.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85
Comes down to sound really. H pipe is deeper and sounds better IMO. X pipes sound more raspy and tinny.
Im gonna go with off road h pipe alonf with my Pypes muffler deletes!!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

Hope your going for loud! Cause that's what you will have.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

that will be loud. That is pretty much nothing but straight pipe
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Hope your going for loud! Cause that's what you will have.
Ohhhh yea!!!! But i dont want x pipe! I dont like raspy i want deep and throaty sound!!

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

that will be loud. That is pretty much nothing but straight pipe
Exactly! Gonna sound like a beast!!! Ordering it this weekend!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I love the raspy loud sound of the x.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
If you want to hear orx with GT500's just click on links in my sig

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
ORX, 3" piping, Flowmaster American Thunders.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota

2011 mustang gt ghost cam - YouTube here is a off road h pipe hope this sells somebody lol

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Yeah it's a old thread but I didn't want to start a new one
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

The HP difference is negligible. Pick the sound you're going for. I have an x. Will eventually be getting borlas or stainless works exhaust. For now I have the x cuz it's a cheap hp mod. Sounds pretty good with stock exhaust
ScrewedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I have the magnaflow off road stainless x pipe and yes its loud and very Raspy...I dont like it, I want the muscle car rumble, so if anyone wants a nice x pipe half price give me a pm?
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Yeah I have the same x pipe and I took it off for the off road h pipe
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Off road H all day! If you want it loud, but also deep and throaty sounding!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

If you need to keep the cats, and want the H-pipe deeper sounds, is there any benefit to an aftermarket H-pipe like the JBA? Will it offer anything over stock (tone/volume/perofrmance)?

I have Roush axelbacks - and would like something that "bolts up" if possible and it's worthwhile.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
If you need to keep the cats, and want the H-pipe deeper sounds, is there any benefit to an aftermarket H-pipe like the JBA? Will it offer anything over stock (tone/volume/perofrmance)?

I have Roush axelbacks - and would like something that "bolts up" if possible and it's worthwhile.
Yes, get the JBA H pipe with some high flow cats, it will sound good
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered the jba long tube headers and the off road h pipe to go with it and hopefully this weekend i can get them on, i will let u guys know how it sounds, but that magnaflow o/r/x pipe should warn people that it makes your car sound like a whiny biiootcchh BEFORE YOU BUY IT...! It does produce nice hp but I will take muscle car rumble over a few horses any day!!
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweigt07 View Post
Yeah I have the same x pipe and I took it off for the off road h pipe
Soo, did you really hear a difference in the Sound or is it just more fun to Throw around the Word RASPY and sound soo much more like all the other professionals hear that Majored in the term "Raspy"? Did I mention "Raspy"? I meant to say Raspy, cause that is a new a good word Raspy, I don't want to say Raspy too much cause the Raspy people might get upset. You know that word "Raspy" is a new word. Almost like a fruit named "Raspy". If it seemed like I said "Raspy" too much, it's cause I get tired of hearing Raspy, all the time like it's new Mech, Technology. Ask a couple of your neighbors if they know what Raspy is. I have a X pipe, and my neighbors like how it sounds, I have had no one say it sounds "Raspy", WTF?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT