Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2013 CAI/Hood Vent Issues

Tags
cai
22K views 82 replies 30 participants last post by  jrsyedb 
#1 ·
I want to install a Steeda CAI for my 2013 GT, but I'm reading about a lot of issues pertaining to the functional hood vents that cause water leaks during car washes and rain. Does anyone have any input on this? Is water harmful to the intake?

#75 ·
Mikeyt03 said:
My steeda filter dried out a bit quicker than normal as well. I've only got about 3k miles on it and its grey ish. How often do I need to clean and re oil it?
I'm not sure. Did they have instructions? I would think a visual of when its dry is good enough to add oil. I would rather it dry out a bit fast, than over oil it. If you over oil it you can run into MAF problems.

#77 ·
Mines also seemed to have dried out quickly. Installed my Steeda CAI in October and just checked this week and it is dry/grayish. My old C&L CAI didn't have to be cleaned/re-oiled until after 36K, this one seems to have dried out after around 4K. I called Steeda and they said it is dust and the norm is between 6-12 months to clean/re-oil. I don't think I'm getting water on it, but will have to check myself to confirm.

#78 ·
I might with go the airaid cai with the hood insert. To be honest I don't want that ugly airaid shield blocking the filter. Yes it serves a very important purpose but I figure if the 12s had no hood vents I think we can squeak by with 1 fully open hood vent and a 1/2 open one?? But if I notice overheating and the like ill scrap the hood insert and send in for the shield ...

#80 · (Edited)
Mikeyt03,

PM sent ...

Just slightly oil it and let it sit for a bit and reapply if needed, when it comes to filter oil less is more, it only needs a light coating.

The oil gets sucked into the filter and also dust particles will cause it to dry out. Instructions say the oil must dry before putting the filter on the car. I would only worry about cleaning the air filter every year but in dustier climates it could be sooner than that.

Best Regards,

TJ

#82 ·
Mikeyt03,

PM sent ...

Just slightly oil it and let it sit for a bit and reapply if needed, when it comes to filter oil less is more, it only needs a light coating.

The oil gets sucked into the filter and also dust particles will cause it to dry out. Instructions say the oil must dry before putting the filter on the car. I would only worry about cleaning the air filter every year but in dustier climates it could be sooner than that.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks for the pm. I'll try that.

On a side note. I haven't had any issues with water or anything like that, and I was originally concerned about it. So for any you worried about water, I wouldn't be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.