2013 CAI/Hood Vent Issues - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS View Post
Imo, the vents are directly over the filter and no one and i mean no one can defeat gravity. Sure if the car is moving the rain will be forced away by the wind but if the car is parked in a rainstorm the water will get on the filter. There are vent plugs that you can buy for $10 at cjpony parts. Those seem to be the cheapest alternative. Has anyone ever thought about just getting the v6 hood instead and then there wouldnt be any worries.

But to me, after all the intakes ive looked at that are available for the mustangs, they arent true cold air intakes. Its a short ram hot air intake. All its doing is sucking in the hot air in the engine bay that will make the ecu pull timing and reduce power. Not worth it to me. Until someone actually comes out with a real cold air intake i wouldnt even waste my time cosmetically.
Good Point !
I was gonna do all that CAI Tune stuff myself
But the car just clicked a 12.7 with motor trend, stock and mine weighs 100 lbs less because its a 300a so maybe 12.5 ? and without voiding any warranty. Was gonna go with the FR power pak, but have been hearing its just a detionation machine that gives you 60lbs of torque at low end but at the expense of frying your pistons by bumping up the timing only. No Thanks $ when the warranty is up, ill just do a 650 horse Supercharger and that should be plenty ~~ ~~~~~~
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
For someone who doesn't have a CAI!! You sure Are crying alot about it!! I have a couple of friends who have 13's and yes 1 of them had a problem with water getting on the filter!!! It turned out that he installed the filter box wrong, we fixed it and now problems now. So why don't you just get one and see what happens!! That have great CAI's!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #73
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Before this starts to get out of hand please keep the bickering down or I will close the thread. It hasn't gotten to that point yet but I would like to prevent it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #74
Road Trip!

My steeda filter dried out a bit quicker than normal as well. I've only got about 3k miles on it and its grey ish. How often do I need to clean and re oil it?
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #75
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03
My steeda filter dried out a bit quicker than normal as well. I've only got about 3k miles on it and its grey ish. How often do I need to clean and re oil it?
I'm not sure. Did they have instructions? I would think a visual of when its dry is good enough to add oil. I would rather it dry out a bit fast, than over oil it. If you over oil it you can run into MAF problems.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Well I dunno about the steeda but on my roush cai that I still want to replace with the steeda they claim 50,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Mines also seemed to have dried out quickly. Installed my Steeda CAI in October and just checked this week and it is dry/grayish. My old C&L CAI didn't have to be cleaned/re-oiled until after 36K, this one seems to have dried out after around 4K. I called Steeda and they said it is dust and the norm is between 6-12 months to clean/re-oil. I don't think I'm getting water on it, but will have to check myself to confirm.
jrsyedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I might with go the airaid cai with the hood insert. To be honest I don't want that ugly airaid shield blocking the filter. Yes it serves a very important purpose but I figure if the 12s had no hood vents I think we can squeak by with 1 fully open hood vent and a 1/2 open one?? But if I notice overheating and the like ill scrap the hood insert and send in for the shield ...
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #79
Road Trip!

Other than my filter getting dirty or discolored. I've had no issues with my steeda intake. I think the vent just makes it get dirty faster. I'll just clean it more I guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Mikeyt03,

PM sent ...

Just slightly oil it and let it sit for a bit and reapply if needed, when it comes to filter oil less is more, it only needs a light coating.

The oil gets sucked into the filter and also dust particles will cause it to dry out. Instructions say the oil must dry before putting the filter on the car. I would only worry about cleaning the air filter every year but in dustier climates it could be sooner than that.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Why even chance it? I installed a K&N which has a lid that is sealed, similar to original. There isn't a heck of a lot of difference in CAI performance, and I can attest to a mpg increase with K&N.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #82
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Mikeyt03,

PM sent ...

Just slightly oil it and let it sit for a bit and reapply if needed, when it comes to filter oil less is more, it only needs a light coating.

The oil gets sucked into the filter and also dust particles will cause it to dry out. Instructions say the oil must dry before putting the filter on the car. I would only worry about cleaning the air filter every year but in dustier climates it could be sooner than that.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks for the pm. I'll try that.

On a side note. I haven't had any issues with water or anything like that, and I was originally concerned about it. So for any you worried about water, I wouldn't be.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Same here, it rained heavily yesterday here in South Florida (for a good 3-4 hours) and when I popped my hood, there was no sign of water intrusion.
jrsyedb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai