Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2013 CAI/Hood Vent Issues

Tags
cai
22K views 82 replies 30 participants last post by  jrsyedb 
#1 ·
I want to install a Steeda CAI for my 2013 GT, but I'm reading about a lot of issues pertaining to the functional hood vents that cause water leaks during car washes and rain. Does anyone have any input on this? Is water harmful to the intake?

#2 ·
Water can cause anything from
Power loss to hydro lock. The last I heard, steeda was working on something to fix the issue. But then I saw a YouTube video with steeda claiming it doesn't reach the intake, and they demonstrate on the video. Personally, I wouldn't chance it unless they were guaranteeing it wouldn't happen. I've heard multiple people complain about the water leaking on the intake.

C&L makes a 2013 version now to fix the issue. I'm going to wait and see if steeda makes an adjustment to theirs though.

#3 · (Edited)
My buddy did his own testing with his stock airbox. Sprayed the hood down with water in a parking lot and when he opened it up there was water pooled on top of the airbox. It also had water spots all over it, so I assume this is something that had been happening through normal driving as well, or the water had run off/evaporated.

So take that as you will, I wouldn't put anything on there that's not specifically designed to reflect water away from it. The AEM box might be a good call, since it's sealed on the top. I don't know much about it though, and it's a "no tune required" item. That generally means no gains if any, but even the "tune required" CAIs haven't produced any gains on the 10+ cars since they already have a pretty decent air induction system.

#6 ·
I wouldn't chance water being anywhere near an open intake, I have hydro locked a car before and it's bad news, I did it with a CAI that didn't sit in a sealed system, patience might be a virtue on this one considering steeda's record for awesome parts and there fit

#7 ·
Mikeyt03 said:
Water can cause anything from
Power loss to hydro lock. The last I heard, steeda was working on something to fix the issue. But then I saw a YouTube video with steeda claiming it doesn't reach the intake, and they demonstrate on the video. Personally, I wouldn't chance it unless they were guaranteeing it wouldn't happen. I've heard multiple people complain about the water leaking on the intake.

C&L makes a 2013 version now to fix the issue. I'm going to wait and see if steeda makes an adjustment to theirs though.
I did see that C&L came out with a fix version for '13, but I prefer Steeda. I had C&L on my previous V6 and it ran great, but Steeda would produce more HP, just have to wait and see, I guess

#8 ·
jrsyedb said:
I did see that C&L came out with a fix version for '13, but I prefer Steeda. I had C&L on my previous V6 and it ran great, but Steeda would produce more HP, just have to wait and see, I guess
Is it worth jeopardizing the well being of your engine over maybe a 5hp gain difference?

#10 ·
Napoleon85 said:
Steeda seems pretty uninterested in "fixing" it, since they claim their intake has no issues with the hood vents and water.
Did you notice in the video that there was a editing cut between when the water was sprayed and when the hood was opened.

#16 ·
How would you do that?

#70 · (Edited)
What is it with owners that list that their windows are tinted ? :disgust:

How does this have anything to do with performance or anything of interest ?

Here let me take it one step Further

2013 GT
Trackpak
Recaros
15% tint
Strawberry Nights, Air Freshener :lmao:

Now back to the thread
Theres a company ? that makes an insert which still allows half of the drivers side vent functional but the other half near the CIA closed

U Tube it, Its $20 and is diffrent from the CJ version

#17 ·
DWC_SmOziLLa said:
Is it worth jeopardizing the well being of your engine over maybe a 5hp gain difference?
Not at all, which is why I was waiting to see if Steeda would come out with the same solution as C&L, I won't put anything in until it is confirmed to resolve the issue. No modification is worth it, if it affects the engine or any component.

#18 ·
jrsyedb said:
Not at all, which is why I was waiting to see if Steeda would come out with the same solution as C&L, I won't put anything in until it is confirmed to resolve the issue. No modification is worth it, if it affects the engine or any component.
I purchased the new c&l intake. I have not put it on yet but im excited to. It will be one less thing to worry about. I like the jlt, and i know steeda is top notch. I dont have faith in the other companies to make this right.

#21 ·
bluemonster13 said:
i think i have found a soultion to this problem. i have found an air filter wrap that will protect the filter from the water that will get in from the heat extractors. its a universal wrap. here is the link. Race Pages - Air Filter Shield
Yeah, and putting syran wrap on your d*ck will keep you from getting herpes. If air can get through, so can water.

#23 ·
#25 · (Edited)
What video are you referring to?

Dario Orlando, owner of Steeda Autosports has driven his personal car as a DD for the last couple months with the Steeda CAI on it. He has gone through the car wash with it too. We have seen no issues of water effecting the CAI or engine. Our engineers have not seen a need to test any further.

We have many CAI's on the market and have not had a call about this.

If there was indeed an issue that was brought to our attention then we would have looked into it. We have had no calls or issues with the filter in rain.

I will bring up the concern with R&D again and see if they want to reopen the case.

Best Regards,

TJ

#30 ·
Dario Orlando, owner of Steeda Autosports has driven his personal car as a DD for the last couple months with the Steeda CAI on it. He has gone through the car wash with it too. We have seen no issues of water effecting the CAI or engine. Our engineers have not seen a need to test any further.
TJ, just because it doesn't hydro lock, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Just the fact that the filter is getting wet is a problem. In the rain, if I know there is water pouring down on my filter, I will not feel comfortable.

#26 ·
TJ,

If anything, a fix to this possible issue will help drive additional sales. I bet there are a lot of people who want a steeda intake but are a little nervous about the situation. The hood vents could be no issue at all, but that's not the point. The point is, the consumer "thinks" its an issue. And I have to admit, if I had a steeda cai and I was sitting at a stop light in a South Florida storm, I would get a little anxious too. So really, its about making the consumer feel "safe". I think it's worth taking a second look. If you need a test car in south fl, let me know : )

#27 ·
Mikeyt03 said:
TJ,

If anything, a fix to this possible issue will help drive additional sales. I bet there are a lot of people who want a steeda intake but are a little nervous about the situation. The hood vents could be no issue at all, but that's not the point. The point is, the consumer "thinks" its an issue. And I have to admit, if I had a steeda cai and I was sitting at a stop light in a South Florida storm, I would get a little anxious too. So really, its about making the consumer feel "safe". I think it's worth taking a second look. If you need a test car in south fl, let me know : )
+10000

#31 ·
TommyV said:
TJ, just because it doesn't hydro lock, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Just the fact that the filter is getting wet is a problem. In the rain, if I know there is water pouring down on my filter, I will not feel comfortable.
I agree, it is a concern. What makes me think more about it is that C&L came out with a "fix" so they did acknowledge the issue. I do want to hope there isn't an issue, yet, I won't slap a Steeda intake on yet until I see proof and results that water will not affect the intake during wash/rain.

#32 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Even though we have not seen an issue as you describe with any of our cars in our test fleet, on our own personal cars, and none of our customers have complained of this issue. We have driven our cars thru some of the most severe rain and wind that the harsh Florida weather can create - and believe me it can be extremely brutal, and never have we experienced any problems. Nevertheless, we acknowledge your concerns, and as we always do, we listen to what our customers concerns are and want to put their minds to ease.

Again - here is a link to a water test we did to put everyone's minds to ease - you will see in both tests that there was never any intrusion into the CAI. Additionally, we have driven this car under real world conditions in the rain and NEVER experienced a problem.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIkj7dhmdZA

I want to thank you for bringing this concern to our attention, and I trust that you will indeed see that when we engineer and design our products that we take a wide variety of potential issue into mind. In this particular case - our soft rubber seal effectively blocks out any water intrusion. While other manufacturers may have issues, rest assured that when you buy from us, you can trust our products.

Best Regards,

TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.