2013 CAI/Hood Vent Issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2013 CAI/Hood Vent Issues

I want to install a Steeda CAI for my 2013 GT, but I'm reading about a lot of issues pertaining to the functional hood vents that cause water leaks during car washes and rain. Does anyone have any input on this? Is water harmful to the intake?
jrsyedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Water can cause anything from
Power loss to hydro lock. The last I heard, steeda was working on something to fix the issue. But then I saw a YouTube video with steeda claiming it doesn't reach the intake, and they demonstrate on the video. Personally, I wouldn't chance it unless they were guaranteeing it wouldn't happen. I've heard multiple people complain about the water leaking on the intake.

C&L makes a 2013 version now to fix the issue. I'm going to wait and see if steeda makes an adjustment to theirs though.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: 2013 CAI/Hood Vent Issues

My buddy did his own testing with his stock airbox. Sprayed the hood down with water in a parking lot and when he opened it up there was water pooled on top of the airbox. It also had water spots all over it, so I assume this is something that had been happening through normal driving as well, or the water had run off/evaporated.

So take that as you will, I wouldn't put anything on there that's not specifically designed to reflect water away from it. The AEM box might be a good call, since it's sealed on the top. I don't know much about it though, and it's a "no tune required" item. That generally means no gains if any, but even the "tune required" CAIs haven't produced any gains on the 10+ cars since they already have a pretty decent air induction system.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I wonder if you can make those heat extractors non-functional?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I wonder if you can make those heat extractors non-functional?
You can do anything you want with 100MPH tape.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't chance water being anywhere near an open intake, I have hydro locked a car before and it's bad news, I did it with a CAI that didn't sit in a sealed system, patience might be a virtue on this one considering steeda's record for awesome parts and there fit
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03
Water can cause anything from
Power loss to hydro lock. The last I heard, steeda was working on something to fix the issue. But then I saw a YouTube video with steeda claiming it doesn't reach the intake, and they demonstrate on the video. Personally, I wouldn't chance it unless they were guaranteeing it wouldn't happen. I've heard multiple people complain about the water leaking on the intake.

C&L makes a 2013 version now to fix the issue. I'm going to wait and see if steeda makes an adjustment to theirs though.
I did see that C&L came out with a fix version for '13, but I prefer Steeda. I had C&L on my previous V6 and it ran great, but Steeda would produce more HP, just have to wait and see, I guess
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsyedb

I did see that C&L came out with a fix version for '13, but I prefer Steeda. I had C&L on my previous V6 and it ran great, but Steeda would produce more HP, just have to wait and see, I guess
Is it worth jeopardizing the well being of your engine over maybe a 5hp gain difference?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweze001 View Post
I wouldn't chance water being anywhere near an open intake, I have hydro locked a car before and it's bad news, I did it with a CAI that didn't sit in a sealed system, patience might be a virtue on this one considering steeda's record for awesome parts and there fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsyedb View Post
Steeda seems pretty uninterested in "fixing" it, since they claim their intake has no issues with the hood vents and water.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Steeda seems pretty uninterested in "fixing" it, since they claim their intake has no issues with the hood vents and water.
Did you notice in the video that there was a editing cut between when the water was sprayed and when the hood was opened.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Did you notice in the video that there was a editing cut between when the water was sprayed and when the hood was opened.
No, I didn't watch it that close ... interesting.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Yeah I guess the video makes them seem that way, but when I talked to them they said they were working on a solution.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
If it was me I would just close the one hood vent.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85
Detonation here we come!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That sucks! I have a '13 gt and just bought an air raid CAI and the Bama tuner with custom tunes now I don't want to put it on.
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85 View Post
How would you do that?
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

Is it worth jeopardizing the well being of your engine over maybe a 5hp gain difference?
Not at all, which is why I was waiting to see if Steeda would come out with the same solution as C&L, I won't put anything in until it is confirmed to resolve the issue. No modification is worth it, if it affects the engine or any component.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsyedb

Not at all, which is why I was waiting to see if Steeda would come out with the same solution as C&L, I won't put anything in until it is confirmed to resolve the issue. No modification is worth it, if it affects the engine or any component.
I purchased the new c&l intake. I have not put it on yet but im excited to. It will be one less thing to worry about. I like the jlt, and i know steeda is top notch. I dont have faith in the other companies to make this right.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Let me know how it works out!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

i think i have found a soultion to this problem. i have found an air filter wrap that will protect the filter from the water that will get in from the heat extractors. its a universal wrap. here is the link. Race Pages - Air Filter Shield
3.55 Gears
20% tint alll around.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonster13
i think i have found a soultion to this problem. i have found an air filter wrap that will protect the filter from the water that will get in from the heat extractors. its a universal wrap. here is the link. Race Pages - Air Filter Shield
Yeah, and putting syran wrap on your d*ck will keep you from getting herpes. If air can get through, so can water.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Yeah, and putting syran wrap on your d*ck will keep you from getting herpes. If air can get through, so can water.
Its an idea! Thanks for being an a**!
3.55 Gears
20% tint alll around.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

'13 hood vent/CAI Issues + Recommendation

I made a post under the American Muscle section, it basically summarizes the ongoing discussion and things. I think 13 GT owners should go show some support and see what response we get from AM.

Cheers!
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting. I know the airaid kit has a weather strip that surrounds the airbox to keep moisture and rain out with hood closed. i just installed my Boss Mani and airaid yesterday, probably wash the ride tonight and post if any issues with airaid systems.
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

What video are you referring to?

Dario Orlando, owner of Steeda Autosports has driven his personal car as a DD for the last couple months with the Steeda CAI on it. He has gone through the car wash with it too. We have seen no issues of water effecting the CAI or engine. Our engineers have not seen a need to test any further.

We have many CAI's on the market and have not had a call about this.

If there was indeed an issue that was brought to our attention then we would have looked into it. We have had no calls or issues with the filter in rain.

I will bring up the concern with R&D again and see if they want to reopen the case.

Best Regards,

TJ
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
Road Trip!

TJ,

If anything, a fix to this possible issue will help drive additional sales. I bet there are a lot of people who want a steeda intake but are a little nervous about the situation. The hood vents could be no issue at all, but that's not the point. The point is, the consumer "thinks" its an issue. And I have to admit, if I had a steeda cai and I was sitting at a stop light in a South Florida storm, I would get a little anxious too. So really, its about making the consumer feel "safe". I think it's worth taking a second look. If you need a test car in south fl, let me know : )
Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
TJ,

If anything, a fix to this possible issue will help drive additional sales. I bet there are a lot of people who want a steeda intake but are a little nervous about the situation. The hood vents could be no issue at all, but that's not the point. The point is, the consumer "thinks" its an issue. And I have to admit, if I had a steeda cai and I was sitting at a stop light in a South Florida storm, I would get a little anxious too. So really, its about making the consumer feel "safe". I think it's worth taking a second look. If you need a test car in south fl, let me know : )
+10000
3.55 Gears
20% tint alll around.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Detonation here we come!!
Could it? Prior to the vent, they have the same general setup minus the coating on the pistons and piston rings. Not calling the vents a gimmick, but are they necessary and if so, both?
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Could it? Prior to the vent, they have the same general setup minus the coating on the pistons and piston rings. Not calling the vents a gimmick, but are they necessary and if so, both?
Could it? yes, will it? who's to say? however these were used to keep underhood temps down, and if the engine operates at too high of a temperature any number of things could happen, one of which would be detonation.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Dario Orlando, owner of Steeda Autosports has driven his personal car as a DD for the last couple months with the Steeda CAI on it. He has gone through the car wash with it too. We have seen no issues of water effecting the CAI or engine. Our engineers have not seen a need to test any further.
TJ, just because it doesn't hydro lock, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Just the fact that the filter is getting wet is a problem. In the rain, if I know there is water pouring down on my filter, I will not feel comfortable.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
TJ, just because it doesn't hydro lock, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Just the fact that the filter is getting wet is a problem. In the rain, if I know there is water pouring down on my filter, I will not feel comfortable.
I agree, it is a concern. What makes me think more about it is that C&L came out with a "fix" so they did acknowledge the issue. I do want to hope there isn't an issue, yet, I won't slap a Steeda intake on yet until I see proof and results that water will not affect the intake during wash/rain.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Hey Guys,

Even though we have not seen an issue as you describe with any of our cars in our test fleet, on our own personal cars, and none of our customers have complained of this issue. We have driven our cars thru some of the most severe rain and wind that the harsh Florida weather can create - and believe me it can be extremely brutal, and never have we experienced any problems. Nevertheless, we acknowledge your concerns, and as we always do, we listen to what our customers concerns are and want to put their minds to ease.

Again - here is a link to a water test we did to put everyone's minds to ease - you will see in both tests that there was never any intrusion into the CAI. Additionally, we have driven this car under real world conditions in the rain and NEVER experienced a problem.

I want to thank you for bringing this concern to our attention, and I trust that you will indeed see that when we engineer and design our products that we take a wide variety of potential issue into mind. In this particular case - our soft rubber seal effectively blocks out any water intrusion. While other manufacturers may have issues, rest assured that when you buy from us, you can trust our products.

Best Regards,

TJ
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hey Guys,

Even though we have not seen an issue as you describe with any of our cars in our test fleet, on our own personal cars, and none of our customers have complained of this issue. We have driven our cars thru some of the most severe rain and wind that the harsh Florida weather can create - and believe me it can be extremely brutal, and never have we experienced any problems. Nevertheless, we acknowledge your concerns, and as we always do, we listen to what our customers concerns are and want to put their minds to ease.

Again - here is a link to a water test we did to put everyone's minds to ease - you will see in both tests that there was never any intrusion into the CAI. Additionally, we have driven this car under real world conditions in the rain and NEVER experienced a problem.

I want to thank you for bringing this concern to our attention, and I trust that you will indeed see that when we engineer and design our products that we take a wide variety of potential issue into mind. In this particular case - our soft rubber seal effectively blocks out any water intrusion. While other manufacturers may have issues, rest assured that when you buy from us, you can trust our products.

Best Regards,

TJ
That's so weird. Maybe the boss has different channels under the hood vents, because this is what happens when it rains with my 2013. See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-588674042.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	497.8 KB
ID:	62660  
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's so weird. Maybe the boss has different channels under the hood vents, because this is what happens when it rains with my 2013. See attached pic.
The vents on the Boss are no different.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #35

Region: Alabama

Well I dont know what to tell ya..You have the 13...you can see for yourself, that the water does drain, directly over the Air Box, and Fuse Box.

I think, now this is just me....it was designed that way....Just one more thing to make it harder for you to do any type of power adder to your new 5.0...

I am pretty sure, the "Smart" guys at Ford, new there was going to be a problem with water draining where it does now...and someone suggested to move the drain to the rear....That would only make since, Right...

OR they would put a drain hose, like what the shaker system has to drain the water away....

With all the bone heads out there, beating their now 5.0's to the ground, and claiming to Ford that they dont know what happen, they drive like grandma...it just broke...

Well Ford is getting tired of replacing motors...so they are acting like big brother or ma and pops...and Sending out threats, if you do Moods to the 5.0, we arent covering anything if you blow it.

So...the answer to your question is yes...it does drain on the air box, but runs of the sides..no harm done.........But and CAI you put on there, the filter is right there where the drain is........Think about it....Water is not good for a motor...when its being sucked in threw the AIR BOX.....

This is only my opinion, I am like everyone else...I have one...

Red.......
2013Red5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai