Tuners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tuners

Hey guys my next step is tuning, I'm thinking bama tunes with steeda CAI, saw some cool things at a mustang show today. Anyone have any literature that I can check out. I'm looking for what it does. Pros and cons. Wait times on tunes and difficulty. Thanks in advance. I want to know everything about it before it goes on my stang.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweze001
Hey guys my next step is tuning, I'm thinking bama tunes with steeda CAI, saw some cool things at a mustang show today. Anyone have any literature that I can check out. I'm looking for what it does. Pros and cons. Wait times on tunes and difficulty. Thanks in advance. I want to know everything about it before it goes on my stang.
Same boat here... Very interested to see te responses
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
I've heard good and bad things. Pros that its better than stock, you will save more gas and have more throttle response

Cons (from what I heard) not the best performance out there,more for the daily driver rather than track/drag, problems that occur when uploading like some files not written correctly
Besides that AM has great customer service and will do everything they can to help you out
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50

I've heard good and bad things. Pros that its better than stock, you will save more gas and have more throttle response

Cons (from what I heard) not the best performance out there,more for the daily driver rather than track/drag, problems that occur when uploading like some files not written correctly
Besides that AM has great customer service and will do everything they can to help you out
Is that bama that's writting those files??
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

Is that bama that's writting those files??
Idk I wished I knew, either way I just got my car and I don't want to void the warranty lol i'm pretty sure tho that when you buy the tuner you have to talk to a employee or fill out a form on what mods you have and they write the tunes
Merben50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm not too concerned about the warranties because I'm in a 2010, but I'm all about mpg gains with better throttle response. Not to mention making my exhaust sound better. I'm just hoping it does all these things haha
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. I'm trying to get all the mods I want that don't require a tune first so hopefully I'll only need the one set of tunes written for me. I don't really want to have to mess around with tunes a lot. Let me know how it goes.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Re: Tuners

Doug, the former owner of Bama moved over to C&L as their only tuner. CLICK I have a C&L CAI and Doug tune in the mail.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Very happy with my boss manifold, steeda CAI and steeda tune on my 2011. No drivability issues at all. Throttle response is there throughout the rpm range. No hiccups or anything. Highly recommend them.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
Very happy with my boss manifold, steeda CAI and steeda tune on my 2011. No drivability issues at all. Throttle response is there throughout the rpm range. No hiccups or anything. Highly recommend them.
Do u know what ur pushing to the wheels? Possibly without the boss intake installed too
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #11

Region: Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
So your tunes won't void factory warranty?
With the exception of the Ford Racing Performance Tune, your warranty is toast as soon as you flash your ECU, although tune-friendly Ford dealers might look the other way if you have trouble.

AM/Bama will provide a warranty for #8 cylinder failure, but failures are rare. Bama will also give you free tunes for life, which means that if you upgrade your car incrementally, you can receive recalibrated tunes at no cost.

Even recognizing the risks, I don't think you can go wrong with either Bama or Steeda tunes. I ran Bama tunes in my departed '11 GT and in my new '13 GT without any issues and with significant performance gains. These companies wouldn't be in business for long if their customers started having engine trouble. Bama claims 30RWHP gain with a tune and an Airaid CAI on their '13 GT.

Nothing is perfect: the Ford tune provides a significant boost in low end torque, but some people have had problems with pinging. Although I've had no problems with my Bama tunes, the SCT programmer has given nothing but trouble. Cooling vents on the hood of the '13's supposedly leak water on to aftermarket CAI's.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

Doug at C&L will give free upgrade tunes for life also.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSpud

With the exception of the Ford Racing Performance Tune, your warranty is toast as soon as you flash your ECU, although tune-friendly Ford dealers might look the other way if you have trouble.

AM/Bama will provide a warranty for #8 cylinder failure, but failures are rare. Bama will also give you free tunes for life, which means that if you upgrade your car incrementally, you can receive recalibrated tunes at no cost.

Even recognizing the risks, I don't think you can go wrong with either Bama or Steeda tunes. I ran Bama tunes in my departed '11 GT and in my new '13 GT without any issues and with significant performance gains. These companies wouldn't be in business for long if their customers started having engine trouble. Bama claims 30RWHP gain with a tune and an Airaid CAI on their '13 GT.

Nothing is perfect: the Ford tune provides a significant boost in low end torque, but some people have had problems with pinging. Although I've had no problems with my Bama tunes, the SCT programmer has given nothing but trouble. Cooling vents on the hood of the '13's supposedly leak water on to aftermarket CAI's.
Yea, I know. I was asking tj@steeda about their tunes since he made such a big deal about working with Ford. I figured if they are so great Ford must ok their tunes for warranty.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93

Yea, I know. I was asking tj@steeda about their tunes since he made such a big deal about working with Ford. I figured if they are so great Ford must ok their tunes for warranty.
I agree, you can't claim to be so close to Ford if they don't share the same feeling in the form of backing up with warranty.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Just because they work closely together and do not have warranty does not mean they fail. I think you guys are looking too much into this and expecting too much. Look at all of the R&D they put into their products. And anyone that has owned a Steeda product can easily see this.

The way I see it is that they probably do not collaborate directly with ford engineers, but they do care enough to stay as close as possible to the way these cars have been engineered as possible and use their modifications to compliment the cars abilities as much as possible as opposed to starting from scratch and trying to reinvent perfection as opposed to improve upon the design of the vehicle. Also Steeda is third party, no surprise there is no warranty

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
IMO a custom tune is the way to go.. Every car is different. An SCT tuner and have a reputable shop custom tune it.
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I'll be going with Steeda for my next tune also

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
Doug at C&L will give free upgrade tunes for life also.
Heard great things about Doug
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Doug created Bama chips, aka Bama tuning, but it's not what it was when Doug was around, I hear nothing but great thing about C&L, still going with steeda lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Doug created Bama chips, aka Bama tuning, but it's not what it was when Doug was around, I hear nothing but great thing about C&L, still going with steeda lol
I had a tune from Doug on my 2006 v6 auto with a c&l CAI. It was surprisingly quick and the tune was spot on from the get go. I sold the car tuned with Doug's card in the cup holder, and the couple that bought it said it was faster than their blown GTPs.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Read it again, slowly, out loud..
Hahahaha, no kidding.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I too am thinking of a tuner (both the person/company and the hardware). I am leaning (based on what I have read over the last few months) towards the Steeda tunes. I do have some questions (hopefully these are relevant to the OP's question in some way; I don't want two back-to-back Tuner threads!).

1) I see references to "91 Octane Street", "93 Octane Street", "93 Octane Race" etc. I get the octane of course ... but what are the practical differences between a race tune and a street tune? Forgive my ignorance. Does anyone run race tunes all the time? Is it safe?
2) Which tuner hardware. Seems to be a choice between SCT and Diablosport? Are the funky touch-screen units like the DS Trinity worth the coin? I like gauges, touch screens, etc. - is any of the data displayed by the Trinity actually useful, or does it just look cool?
3) After installing a tune, is there anything I should look for? I know the FRPP Tune causes pinging for some people. Is this an issue with other tunes? I thought the knock sensor would adjust for that, anyway?

Thanks. I am excited for my future tune.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
I too am thinking of a tuner (both the person/company and the hardware). I am leaning (based on what I have read over the last few months) towards the Steeda tunes. I do have some questions (hopefully these are relevant to the OP's question in some way; I don't want two back-to-back Tuner threads!).

1) I see references to "91 Octane Street", "93 Octane Street", "93 Octane Race" etc. I get the octane of course ... but what are the practical differences between a race tune and a street tune? Forgive my ignorance. Does anyone run race tunes all the time? Is it safe?
2) Which tuner hardware. Seems to be a choice between SCT and Diablosport? Are the funky touch-screen units like the DS Trinity worth the coin? I like gauges, touch screens, etc. - is any of the data displayed by the Trinity actually useful, or does it just look cool?
3) After installing a tune, is there anything I should look for? I know the FRPP Tune causes pinging for some people. Is this an issue with other tunes? I thought the knock sensor would adjust for that, anyway?

These are the kind of questions I'm talkin about, excited to hear the answers
Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post

As put by Bama:

Street (87-93 octane) - The street tune is designed as a daily driver program that focuses on increasing mid-range power. Automatic vehicles are further enhanced by making adjustments to the transmission's shift points and firmness.

Performance (87-93 octane) - The Performance program is designed to add power at 3000 RPMs and higher, focusing more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. Timing, fuel and throttle response settings are slightly more aggressive than the street tune. This is a great track tune but also works well for daily drivers that are looking for a little more "get up and go" than the street tune. The automatic transmission settings are the same as in the street tune.

Race (91 - 93 octane) - The race tune will ensure the largest increase in vehicle performance. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area is mandatory. This file is designed for "Race Use Only", as the timing, fuel, and throttle response settings are very aggressive. It is so aggressive that we do not recommend it for daily driving as it may cause your vehicle to try to jump out from a stop and easily spin the tires. On automatics, we implement entirely new shift points and firmness settings to further enhance the all-out performance of the vehicle.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygreenmachine View Post
As put by Bama:

Street (87-93 octane) - The street tune is designed as a daily driver program that focuses on increasing mid-range power. Automatic vehicles are further enhanced by making adjustments to the transmission's shift points and firmness.

Performance (87-93 octane) - The Performance program is designed to add power at 3000 RPMs and higher, focusing more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. Timing, fuel and throttle response settings are slightly more aggressive than the street tune. This is a great track tune but also works well for daily drivers that are looking for a little more "get up and go" than the street tune. The automatic transmission settings are the same as in the street tune.

Race (91 - 93 octane) - The race tune will ensure the largest increase in vehicle performance. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area is mandatory. This file is designed for "Race Use Only", as the timing, fuel, and throttle response settings are very aggressive. It is so aggressive that we do not recommend it for daily driving as it may cause your vehicle to try to jump out from a stop and easily spin the tires. On automatics, we implement entirely new shift points and firmness settings to further enhance the all-out performance of the vehicle.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Go for the boss manifold with steeda CAI and tune. I have the boss 93 octane tune and it is very streetable with no issues. Its my daily driver.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Plus it looks cooler than the stock one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-904443512.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	62768  
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I can't spend that kind of money right now ... my car came new with a Roush CAI (I know, not the best but it looks and sounds good) and the intake, new strut brace, etc. would put the cost way over what my other half is willing to let me spend!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that. Put it on the wish list.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So does anyone have any thoughts on what tuner to buy? Everyone seems to have the SCT ... but are the Diablosport's any good? The touch screen one that you could mount on your dash seemed cool ... but is it actually useful at all?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I would stick with what the good tuner guys are running which is SCT.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #32
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

C&L uses diablosport and they SUPPOSEDLY do not leave a foot print on the ECM

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
So does anyone have any thoughts on what tuner to buy? Everyone seems to have the SCT ... but are the Diablosport's any good? The touch screen one that you could mount on your dash seemed cool ... but is it actually useful at all?
I use Diablosport Preditor on my other (wife's) car. I have had absolutely NO problem with it all. But on my Mustang, I use SCT.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Why in earth would you drive around on anything other than a race tune? The car has too many nannies as it is, why hold it back?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
Why in earth would you drive around on anything other than a race tune? The car has too many nannies as it is, why hold it back?
Agreed. I pretty happy with my Bama tune, but in all honesty, the 93 race tune is the only one worth running. I doubt nothing else actually provides gains (most likely just throttle response).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT