turbo or super? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
turbo or super?

hey sorry if theres already a thread on this, couldnt find one.. so i originally was thinken whipple or roush supercharger till i was shown the hellion twin turbo, which seens like a hell of a beast..what do yall got? or what are your views? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
hey sorry if theres already a thread on this, couldnt find one.. so i originally was thinken whipple or roush supercharger till i was shown the hellion twin turbo, which seens like a hell of a beast..what do yall got? or what are your views? thanks!
What is the main use of the car? Daily driver, weekend warrior?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

since i live in wi come summer time it will be used alot but id still keep it on weekend warrior status mostly..also it WILL be (waiten till i return home to buy) a 2012 Boss, i think,since the engine would hold better than a GT, so im told, since the forged internals, but i dont know after how much power internals would benifit

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

but i would still like to take it to the track maybe twice a year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
since i live in wi come summer time it will be used alot but id still keep it on weekend warrior status mostly..also it WILL be (waiten till i return home to buy) a 2012 Boss, i think,since the engine would hold better than a GT, so im told, since the forged internals, but i dont know after how much power internals would benifit

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

but i would still like to take it to the track maybe twice a year
Turbo it up. You won't be riding around in boost all the time. When you do make the boost though Depending on the tuning and turbo size it will more than tickle your fancy. I wouldn't dump the money on a boss. I would however ditch the stock trans an clutch. Order up a tremec magnum xl and McLeod rxt twin disc clutch. Got my car back yesterday from doing those mods. Still breaking the trans an clutch in, for now I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone that could afford it. I don't care what anyone claims the stock trans can handle they are junk from the factor.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

sed i was originally going to get a 2011 GT and save the money but i was told the forged insides of the boss would be better when putten that much more power in it, or is that only inportant if you want to put like 800hp in it? if i got the hellion i think i would put it at about 10lbs boost, also if i just stuck with GT i would probly just go automatic, thoughts on that? and thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

also when it comes to saving the money on boss vs gt im not too worried about that bc i can get them for roughly the same price
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I haven't had mine installed yet but my Paxton alone with the Paxton tune will make close to 600 horsepower at the wheels so the shop said but that is with the mods I already have (LT's, o/r x, mid back exhaust). The shop said I probably won't get 100k miles but as long as I don't live at the strip I should be fine to around 50-60k miles. Also to buy the kit plus install with clutch and install with custom tune will come to around 8k.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Honestly I'm not sure if the same supercharger and turbos used on the GT can also be used on the boss. I would go supercharged though, not worried about redoing alot of the exhaust and running all the extra super hot piping under then hold either

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

pardon my ignorance but is that alot of miles for a supercharger? seems like id be spending around 6 grand on that for it to be done in a few years depending how much you drive it, mine will be usually a daily driver but only in summer time so i guess i could get 8-10 years just driving sunmer so that dont seem too bad, but are any of them built to last the life of the car? or at least the engine
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Well you to realize that if you go FI then you will shorten the life of the engine but i look at that by the time I reach 50k miles I will have saved up enough to do a complete build.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Re: turbo or super?

honestly no one really knows how far these motors will go with FI yet. as long as the tune is spot on and depending on your driving habits anywhere from 50-100k should be pretty easily achievable

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have faith in these 5.0s to be able to handle 600 hp for the life of it really. As long as u dont drag it or race it monthly and take good care of it along with a legit mild dyno tune, i say u can get 150k without any crazy problems.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I agree especially after seeing some people push 600+ rwhp and drag racing from day one and getting 30k+ out of them and still haven't blown up

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I know one guy pushing over 700rwhp with a kenne bell thru a auto and he hasnt had any problems, yet...
Old 08-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Op, while I will not discourage gettin forged internals, I will say it does not seem to be necessary either. Seen hundreds on 500+ rwhp, several at 600+ rwhp, and a handful of 700+ rwhp all on stock motor. People have been getting 200% power from these motors safely

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

thats promising! maybe i will go with an auto GT, but the Boss..its a Boss!! ;p
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

The boss is awesome but I think the GT is still an awesome car. I kinda feel like modding the boss is a little... Wrong I guess lol. The boss should be unmolested

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
The boss is awesome but I think the GT is still an awesome car. I kinda feel like modding the boss is a little... Wrong I guess lol. The boss should be unmolested
+1^
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If you want turbo wait another year and see if the hellion kit doesn't have anymore figment issues. Some have a lot of issues getting everything to fit properly. Some have it installed with no issues as well, but there are a few having engine issues after install. I went roush 575 supercharged with vmp tune. I drive her rarely,...6 moths old and 1300 miles. Twin turbo sure is sexy though,...u have a tough decision lol
Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
I have faith in these 5.0s to be able to handle 600 hp for the life of it really. As long as u dont drag it or race it monthly and take good care of it along with a legit mild dyno tune, i say u can get 150k without any crazy problems.
Lol your dreaming. 5.0s that only have a tune will be hard pressed to see 200,000 kms!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

Lol your dreaming. 5.0s that only have a tune will be hard pressed to see 200,000 kms!
I like how you state your opinions and theories as if they were facts.
I mean come on, were you born an a$$h0le, or was it something you have been working on for a while.
You never reply to any post with any constructive criticism, positive encouragement, or moral support of any fashion.
Im all for freedom of speech, but you live in canada. So if you dont have any good factual or helpful things to say, do the world a favor and keep them to yourself.
God Bless America
(not hating on all the canadians)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tune only? I'm sure thats a little overkill on that assumption. My FI 5.0 won't I'm sure,...but i wont get over 10k miles for 10 yrs.

Im sure a tune only 5.0 will last just as long as a factory calibrated PCM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

through the years I have seen a lot of cars go well over 100,000 miles studebaker , MB , BMW , chrysler , ford , ect.with super chargers & turbos . so if you drive normal at time & perform good maintenance it should hold together
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

I like how you state your opinions and theories as if they were facts.
I mean come on, were you born an a$$h0le, or was it something you have been working on for a while.
You never reply to any post with any constructive criticism, positive encouragement, or moral support of any fashion.
Im all for freedom of speech, but you live in canada. So if you dont have any good factual or helpful things to say, do the world a favor and keep them to yourself.
God Bless America
(not hating on all the canadians)
My opinion is in fact more credible then most on this forum. I am a certified tech and have owned 5 different mustangs one with multiple powertrain setups all built by me. I race on the weekends and build during the week. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to supercharged and tuned vehicles! And ya it is a fact that a 600+ hp mustang won't last 200,000kms without major issues! How is it that you know about this topic?? I don't know why I know by reading online and found like most here, I build, run and experience it myself.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

My opinion is in fact more credible then most on this forum. I am a certified tech and have owned 5 different mustangs one with multiple powertrain setups all built by me. I race on the weekends and build during the week. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to supercharged and tuned vehicles! And ya it is a fact that a 600+ hp mustang won't last 200,000kms without major issues! How is it that you know about this topic??
Seems to me that most people that throw around the whole technician thing on forums are the least credible, not only that but you say you've built all these cats yet you never post on tech threads, and IF you do there is never any tech in your post, it's usually frivolous babble.

All the posts you make are in reference to threads on wheels an CAI. Or some other opinionated stuff, never fact or experiences.

Did you build these cars you own or pay someone else to have them built?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
evryone knows how long the motor will last is gonna depend on driving habbits. i think any boost on a new 5.0 would be a blast.

and for everything else.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Waiting for the caps lock to come on,...that's when it gets serious!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I say supercharger cause I think it will last longer, maybe safer since there its no psi thing or boost. Only thing I heard bad about a super charger is that it eats gas like crazy. Turbos, to me sounds badass especially the blow out valve, but I know guys that blew there engine messing with the boost. To me doesn't seem worth it. Also if your going to get a boss keep it stock!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My opinion is in fact more credible then most on this forum. I am a certified tech and have owned 5 different mustangs one with multiple powertrain setups all built by me. I race on the weekends and build during the week. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to supercharged and tuned vehicles! And ya it is a fact that a 600+ hp mustang won't last 200,000kms without major issues! How is it that you know about this topic?? I don't know why I know by reading online and found like most here, I build, run and experience it myself.
Remember wen he talked crap on wnt2gofast for racing, now he claims to race every weekend. Plus ur only comeback is "from what u read online". Do u have a library of 5.0 information or what? Plus ive never seen u post a dyno or say u have any plans or upgrades for ur car other than rims. Being a tech u prob know they add 10-15 hp..

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Quote:

Remember wen he talked crap on wnt2gofast for racing, now he claims to race every weekend. Plus ur only comeback is "from what u read online". Do u have a library of 5.0 information or what? Plus ive never seen u post a dyno or say u have any plans or upgrades for ur car other than rims. Being a tech u prob know they add 10-15 hp..
Also i hate on all canadians on this thread cuz i have yet to see one post something intelligent or joke along with us. And if any of ur irrational thoughts were credible, at least 1 person would ever agree with u. Moron.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Seems to me that most people that throw around the whole technician thing on forums are the least credible, not only that but you say you've built all these cats yet you never post on tech threads, and IF you do there is never any tech in your post, it's usually frivolous babble.

All the posts you make are in reference to threads on wheels an CAI. Or some other opinionated stuff, never fact or experiences.

Did you build these cars you own or pay someone else to have them built?
No tech info about the 2011+ mustang because mine is almost stock and it will stay that way.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Also i hate on all canadians on this thread cuz i have yet to see one post something intelligent or joke along with us. And if any of ur irrational thoughts were credible, at least 1 person would ever agree with u. Moron.
My 2011 mustang will stay pretty much stock that's why you don't see tech and dyno's from me. The older cars I build and race don't get dyno tuned. And why would I talk abut old drag cars on a mustang forum?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote:

Why do you think wnt2gofst left? Because all this 2011+ forum is is simple Simon's that only talk about cai,dyno numbers and wheels. Nobody here has real building experience and knows what they know from what they read online.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #30
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

No tech info about the 2011+ mustang because mine is almost stock and it will stay that way.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

My 2011 mustang will stay pretty much stock that's why you don't see tech and dyno's from me. The older cars I build and race don't get dyno tuned. And why would I talk abut old drag cars on a mustang forum?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Why do you think wnt2gofst left? Because all this 2011+ forum is is simple Simon's that only talk about cai,dyno numbers and wheels. Nobody here has real building experience and knows what they know from what they read online.
Ah yes I forgot, a tune will cause your engine to blow at 50k right? All your talk is speculative, period. not sure what your goal is on this forum, maybe to rile everyone up? You do it well. Mission accomplished

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Here's possibly something useful to the original poster from a Canadian:

Would go super over turbo, having done both. Turbos over a long time will eventually cook everything golden-brown underhood. There's a reason factory turbo cars have more heat shielding than the space shuttle.

Tuning is more difficult on turbos because they make power much more load-based and less linearly than even a centri blower, which is the closest to a turbo in the SC world.

A centri blower is generally easy to install, relatively simple to tune and will give years of trouble-free service. There's a reason there's alot of centri packages out there.

Downsides of supercharging are the power loss to drive the blower but, the step up ratio in the blower erases alot of this.

There is, of course, the option to go positive displacement on the blower, like Roush or Whipple. These are bad-*** on the street because they provide instant torque and power. Downsides are generally just things downstream of the engine in the driveline usually don't take this as well.

How's that? Any help? I'm not a "technician" but, I've done a few things.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Here's possibly something useful to the original poster from a Canadian:

Would go super over turbo, having done both. Turbos over a long time will eventually cook everything golden-brown underhood. There's a reason factory turbo cars have more heat shielding than the space shuttle.

Tuning is more difficult on turbos because they make power much more load-based and less linearly than even a centri blower, which is the closest to a turbo in the SC world.

A centri blower is generally easy to install, relatively simple to tune and will give years of trouble-free service. There's a reason there's alot of centri packages out there.

Downsides of supercharging are the power loss to drive the blower but, the step up ratio in the blower erases alot of this.

There is, of course, the option to go positive displacement on the blower, like Roush or Whipple. These are bad-*** on the street because they provide instant torque and power. Downsides are generally just things downstream of the engine in the driveline usually don't take this as well.

How's that? Any help? I'm not a "technician" but, I've done a few things.
+1

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

My recommendation is SC unless you plan to go past 800whp.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50
I say supercharger cause I think it will last longer, maybe safer since there its no psi thing or boost. Only thing I heard bad about a super charger is that it eats gas like crazy. Turbos, to me sounds badass especially the blow out valve, but I know guys that blew there engine messing with the boost. To me doesn't seem worth it. Also if your going to get a boss keep it stock!
?? Superchargers make psi (boost) just like a turbo.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merben50 View Post
drunk posting! Gotta keep this one!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO

drunk posting! Gotta keep this one!
Ah shucks i'm a ****** with cars that's why i'm here to learn
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT