2010 has a CAI already? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2010 has a CAI already?

So I was screwin around on the Internet and saw someone say that ford got the extra horsepower out of the 4.6 in 2010 by adding a factory CAI. Went and looked on mine and sure enough it said cold air intake on the intake box. So my question is, since it has a so called factory CAI could I buy a tuner and see the same gains as I would with a aftermarket CAI? I just don't see the point in buying one if the car has one lol
black9D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Not sure about the 10's but for the 11+ that's pretty much how it is

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Mine said Cold Air Intake on it. It even had a picture of a cute little snow flake on it. I still yanked that **** outa there and dropped in a Steeda CAI.

Now before anyone tries to grief me about the power gains over stock blah blah blaah blah blah! I don't care, I bought it because it looks pimp and sounds badass!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Mine said Cold Air Intake on it. It even had a picture of a cute little snow flake on it. I still yanked that **** outa there and dropped in a Steeda CAI.

Now before anyone tries to grief me about the power gains over stock blah blah blaah blah blah! I don't care, I bought it because it looks pimp and sounds badass!
+1
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes 10 was the first year they put CAI in, you will get more gains with an aftermarket CAI and tune.
MedicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: 2010 has a CAI already?

Prime 2 Tone,

let me back you up..

I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air on a 2011 Mustang GT.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

With this power increase in a car weighing 3700 to 3800 pounds with the driver you would be lucky to measure a 10th of a second. This is because the driver alone could loose a 10th of a second just from pass to pass so relying on seeing that 10th of a second is a shot in the dark at best. These are not the days of the Fox body Mustang where a 3100lb car including the driver would see a tenth of a second from just 5 or 6 horsepower. These are heavier cars and that makes a huge difference.

Didn't want to leave you hanging, lol.

Best Regards,

TJ
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Well, 2010 isn't the fist year for CAI. CAI first appeared on a production line Stangs, I think, about 1972, on the CJs. Won't count the shaker Mach 1s and Ram Air stangs. You'll notice if you look at a stock gen 2 they draw air from the fenderwell after the carb heat closes off. Not sure about the Mustang IIs but Foxbodies had CAI from the factory too, drawing air from the closed area in front of the passenger side front wheel. This ain't new tech. We all dumped that stuff in the old days in favour of an open-element air cleaner that, you gotta bet, is the worst design hot-air induction you can create wanna bet we hurt performance in more cases than we'd like to admit? I would.

The reason CAI doesn't do much on a modern car has more to do with the sophistication of the engine management today, over just being CAI.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

In short, you are saying a CAI has no benefit to a modern car?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Well, 2010 isn't the fist year for CAI. CAI first appeared on a production line Stangs, I think, about 1972, on the CJs. Won't count the shaker Mach 1s and Ram Air stangs. You'll notice if you look at a stock gen 2 they draw air from the fenderwell after the carb heat closes off. Not sure about the Mustang IIs but Foxbodies had CAI from the factory too, drawing air from the closed area in front of the passenger side front wheel. This ain't new tech. We all dumped that stuff in the old days in favour of an open-element air cleaner that, you gotta bet, is the worst design hot-air induction you can create wanna bet we hurt performance in more cases than we'd like to admit? I would.

The reason CAI doesn't do much on a modern car has more to do with the sophistication of the engine management today, over just being CAI.
Wow bro, u just dropped some knowledge on me. Thank you!
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
In short, you are saying a CAI has no benefit to a modern car?

Best Regards,

TJ

Cold air is a benefit but, aftermarket cold air over factory cold air, pretty much zippo. Unless you change the airflow demands of the engine through a tune, you won't see much from an aftermarket CAI.

No OEM company puts Mcdonald's straw intakes on performance cars anymore; those days are gone.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A CAI and Tune go together like peanut butter and Jelly. A tune should accompany a CAI to get optimal results.

A CAI allows the engine to flow more air...less restrictions...remember, an engine is essentially an air pump....more air in, more power out.

I think we are on the same page.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

Oh Hell yeah!!! I would have done the exact same thing
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
A CAI and Tune go together like peanut butter and Jelly. A tune should accompany a CAI to get optimal results.

A CAI allows the engine to flow more air...less restrictions...remember, an engine is essentially an air pump....more air in, more power out.

I think we are on the same page.
We are on the same page but....that old standby of "engines as air pumps" is HUGELY oversimplified and doesn't present well when coming from someone who seems to be working for a tuning company. It grinds my gears when I hear amateurs like myself parroting this stuff.

Volume does not equal horsepower. Just looking at the intake alone is a pretty complex fluid dynamics problem, especially if you take it out of the system that is an engine in operation. An engine is a complex mix of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and physics. It's not an air pump and more in = more out. If volume equaled power, there'd have been 300 mm ports on all cars years ago and intakes that spanned the width of the engine compartment.

Just a grumpy shop teacher over here....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai