13' Hood vent water entry test - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
13' Hood vent water entry test

I just washed my 13' GT. I put a shallow 6 3/4" bowl on top of the stock air box and washed car like i normally would. Initial rinse, soap, and re-rinse. I then removed the bowl and measured the collected water. It came to 1 full cup of water. Just think how much water would pour onto the intake filter in a heavy rain sitting in traffic. Not good if you have a CAI made for 11' or 12' models. Just thought I would share this info. I won't be using CAI unless it's made for the 13' and solves this problem like the new C&L is suppose to.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: 13' Hood vent water entry test

Wow, that's a bunch. Not too much of a surprise to me & proves the speculation that the channels in the hood blanket just direct the water right there. Closed stock CAI is fine for me for a while.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
Wow, that's a bunch. Not too much of a surprise to me & proves the speculation that the channels in the hood blanket just direct the water right there. Closed stock CAI is fine for me for a while.
Yea, me too.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Good basic research....a cup of water could be actually hazardous, if it hit the engine together as a slug. A few drops isn't anything to be concerned about. Now, rain isn't highly pressurized water but, I think your evidence is sufficient to give pause for thought.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

First the #8 now this.......OMG........I'm buying a Camaro.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Good basic research....a cup of water could be actually hazardous, if it hit the engine together as a slug. A few drops isn't anything to be concerned about. Now, rain isn't highly pressurized water but, I think your evidence is sufficient to give pause for thought.
I just used a hose and low pressure sprayer. I was surprised at the amount collected.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I got a '12 so, it's perfect....except for Ford having to build the transmission one-more-time
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's good info thanks!
3.55 Gears
Borla "s" type catback exhaust
20% tint alll around.
bluemonster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Jetag: good info. I'm trying to consolidate the CAI/water in the vents issue with this post under the American Muscle section of the forums in hopes for a response of some kind.

'13 hood vent/CAI Issues + Recommendation

I figure it can't hurt to see what AM has to say. Obviously this issue has gotten quite a bit of attention from us '13 owners by now.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Us 03/04 cobra guys have been running open vents in all weather conditions for years...
Granted the vent doesn't directly put water onto the filter, it is definitely damp after driving in the rain. Mine are completely open with no flaps, etc and have been that way since 2007 with no issues.

Might I suggest some sort of diverter under that vent to move the water elsewhere in the engine compartment? I haven't looked at the '13 vents too well but I know on my car they vent a huge amount of heat.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

C&L has an updated CAI that does just that. They added a little tab to the heat shield that sits under the vent, catches the water, and diverts it away. At the moment, if I were to go with an aftermarket CAI, that or the closed-box AEM would be my choices. But, for now I'm leaving the engine alone (wife would be less than pleased at tossing the warranty only a month into ownership--and rightly so). Since the car comes stock with a CAI, it's not a bad setup as it is.

The extractors do venta LOT of heat. I've seen the visible heat distortion when sitting at stoplights a few times already. No way am I blocking them off-they are doing their job.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Us 03/04 cobra guys have been running open vents in all weather conditions for years...Granted the vent doesn't directly put water onto the filter, it is definitely damp after driving in the rain.
Being damp, and having water directly being poured on it, are two different things.

I'm sure the filter was designed for dampness, but for the waterfall, I don't think so.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
Being damp, and having water directly being poured on it, are two different things.

I'm sure the filter was designed for dampness, but for the waterfall, I don't think so.
Our vents are in front of the engine and drain right behind the radiator.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Our vents are in front of the engine and drain right behind the radiator.
On the '13 they run up the sides of the hood. The bottom ends are right over the fuse box and air filter box.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

2011 & 12s really do need some hood vents. Get really hot under there. Anyone know of a kit out there to do this? This way you can put them were you want, and not were ford wants, and get the same effect as the 13s without the water issue..
Musskao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Trufiber sells the vents that go on their custom hoods, but there is no kit for water diversion.

Click on the red and white car and it will show the vents.

ford mustang ram air heat extraction trufiber fiberglass hood
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I just saw a car with the linked hood. It's a nice one & the heat extractors are far away from the filter. Better yet the scoop is functional & feeds the air to the right place.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #18

Region: Virginia

2013 GT owners asking about water getting in through the hood vents, need not worry.

Only the front 2 vents are in the filter area and the amount of water that gets in while driving is minimal. Sure, when you’re washing the car and spraying water directly into the vent you will see a small amount of water under the hood and in the filter area, but that still is nothing to worry about. You might get .05% of the entire filter damp, that’s about it.
Every time there is a body change with vents in the hood, this concern gets brought up, but think about this for a minute, we have been putting the air filter in the bumper of 96-03 Mustangs for years and driving in the rain is no problem. Yes, the filter will get wet, but it would take submerging the filter to do engine damage.
Also, the 03, 04 MACH I. It has a shaker hood scoop 100 times larger than the 2 vents on the ’13 hood that faces forward ramming air and water directly onto the filter from the factory without worry.
The 07-13 GT500 has huge open vents that let in large amounts of water, but just like the ’13 GT hood, while driving the most of the water blows right over the vents instead of flowing in.

I understand your concern, but understand, we own a 2013 and test on a 2013 and have no worries what so ever about water from driving in the rain and neither should you.

If companies want to redesign a shield to gain sales due to worry, that’s ok, but we don’t plan on doing that.

Here is a detailed video
2013 Mustang GT hood vents, water and a CAI explained - YouTube
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I have a Harley with a stage 2 screaming eagle air cleaner. It is really exposed to the weather. It came with black sock that fits over the air cleaner looks cool works awesome. Never have had an issue with water. Would think something like this would work fine. Water does get the engine no matter what year or mod. Our engine bays are not water tight..
Bowtiebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musskao View Post
2011 & 12s really do need some hood vents. Get really hot under there. Anyone know of a kit out there to do this? This way you can put them were you want, and not were ford wants, and get the same effect as the 13s without the water issue..
Really, how hot? My datalogs show ECT in the 200 range sitting still, IAT creeps up very slowly in stop and go and returns to close to ambient the minute you get moving for a few seconds, EGTs aren't crazy for an N/A car. I'm not really sure that, (based on my data) there's a need for hood venting. Can't hurt, really but, I don't see any temp control issues with the stock setup.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Just seems hot to me. Could be the 105 temp outside as well.. Lol.. I think I will get a boss radiator, and oil cooler, before cutting into hood, but it would be different, and can't hurt...
Musskao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The Boss 302 race car Mustangs are having some issues with overheating at the track but, that's because they are forced to run big restrictor plates to level the playing field. There's no way on earth a properly functioning GT is going to have any issues with this on the road. I'd say, spend the money if you want but it isn't needed, unless you're planning on running twin turbos down the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT