advantages and disadvantages of a brembo car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
advantages and disadvantages of a brembo car

Just curious
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Advantages - better stopping power comes with better tires, better lca's, springs, and a couple other suspension items.

Disadvantages - more rotational mass, suffer ride... Can't really think of anymore

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Finding rim to clear brembos which isnt to hard
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Advantages - better stopping power comes with better tires, better lca's, springs, and a couple other suspension items.

Disadvantages - more rotational mass, suffer ride... Can't really think of anymore
Increased brake dust
Faster tire wear
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: advantages and disadvantages of a brembo car

More pronounced wheelhop...which needs curing on this car anyway, regardless of suspension package. It's worth every dime of its cost, unless you're planning something ALOT more radical.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Increased brake dust
Faster tire wear
My god tell me about it
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I finally found a good spray on wheel cleaner that actually dissolves the brake dust. The BodyPro mag and wheel cleaner from NAPA. Really seems to actually be spray-on-hose-off. Man, I hate cleaning wheels and these Brembo ones ain't actually that hard to clean. Tire wear = good grip. I quite like the P Zeros. They surprise me in the wet constantly. looking at them, you'd never think they'd be a good foul-weather tire but, they are. Straight line, I've hit 60 mph in a touch over 4 seconds on those tires, on the road. No complaints.

I also like the tightness of the chassis on a Brembo car. The ST brace makes the front end feel more planted. The steering feel adjustability is a frill, pretty much; on the road it stays in standard, for me. The more aggressive traction and stability control settings are noticeable.

I'd like a touch more shock damping but, the ride's really very good for a car of this capability and that'd be diminished if that happened. not crashy, slappy or thumpy at all.

The centre-stage brakes are essentially old GT500 brakes and are quite strong and effective. They've saved the car for me at least once, justifying their purchase.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
I finally found a good spray on wheel cleaner that actually dissolves the brake dust. The BodyPro mag and wheel cleaner from NAPA. Really seems to actually be spray-on-hose-off. Man, I hate cleaning wheels and these Brembo ones ain't actually that hard to clean.
Unfortunately, if it's that aggressive its probably also eating the clear coat off your wheels. I don't use anything on my wheels that I wouldn't use on my paint. But it's your call, use whatever your comfortable with.

I just listed those two items because its what people complain about, but they're pretty much universal constants. Better brakes will be louder (squeaky) and have more dust. Tires with better grip usually have softer rubber and wear faster.

I don't generally recommend brembo cars for a dd or someone who isn't interested in high performance driving.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

I wonder if they changed the pads for 2013? Not much dust and no squeal.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Unfortunately, if it's that aggressive its probably also eating the clear coat off your wheels. I don't use anything on my wheels that I wouldn't use on my paint. But it's your call, use whatever your comfortable with.

I just listed those two items because its what people complain about, but they're pretty much universal constants. Better brakes will be louder (squeaky) and have more dust. Tires with better grip usually have softer rubber and wear faster.

I don't generally recommend brembo cars for a dd or someone who isn't interested in high performance driving.
Roger that, GT/CS for the more fluff stuff. Wanna run up some backroads? Brembo or a Boss 302.

Brake dust eats the clearcoat off wheels too. Leave it on there and magic, you have brake dust coloured wheels in a few months, forever. The Bodypro/NAPA stuff says, "safe for all wheel types", fwiw. We're talking a few seconds exposure here, not letting it sit in the sun.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
I wonder if they changed the pads for 2013? Not much dust and no squeal.
I don't have squeal just a lot of brake dust
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea brake dust sucks... Btw brembo rotors and pads are also pricey but you can always go with another brand
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Raybestos professional grade easily exceeds OEM and isn't that costly if you look around. It's all I use.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Disadvantages none, great handling car, but again you could make a regular GT the way that you want, your choice of wheels, tires and good suspension from Strano.
If I had to do it again, maybe I start with a regular GT and get whatever aftermarket part that I chose.
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I'm not getting any squealing and brake dust isn't too bad so far.

The only disadvantage I've run across so far is as mentioned, aftermarket wheel fitment--my options are more limited than anticipated. Not too worried right now as I like the OEMs, just they are heavy.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT