Vinyl or Paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Vinyl or Paint

Hey guys! I want to add either some racing stripes or Super Snake stripes I'm my 13' GT. However, I'm not sure if I should go vinyl or have it painted. I live in Wisconsin, so it snows a fair amount and this car would be my DD. But pros and cons to both? Does vinyl mess up the paint under it at all? How often do you have to replace it? when I'm washing my car do I have to be careful of not pealing up? Let me know your full two-cents on this!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
No brainier if you want it for sure get it painted. It looks so much better painted though it is more costly. IMO
tbonz2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonz2869
No brainier if you want it for sure get it painted. It looks so much better painted though it is more costly. IMO
Yea I'd say the same. If you're not second guessing yourself on the stripe decision definitely go with painted that way you won't have to worry about any of the other factors that come with vinyl stripes. And it looks clean... BUT! If you think you might out a body kit, hood, spoiler, etc later on in the pony's life then go with vinyl because then you won't have to color match and you can just cut off the piece you need for that part. It'd be difficult to match the same lines and colors later on if it's painted. More like 4 cents... Haha oops.
mustangman5345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Vinyl or Paint

I've used vinyl lettering on my commercial trucks for a long time and it does hold up well if it's good quality vinyl. The edges don't come up at all. But, if it were my car I'd definitely look into painting instead. Just a better look imho.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Im getting mine painted for 300.00. My good friend is an excellent paint and body guy
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #6

Region: Maryland

why dont ya do your car in vinyl first,see how it looks,then do it in paint once you're 100% you like the look?

After the car is painted is a bad time to find your idea doesnt look as cool as you thought.
Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro
why dont ya do your car in vinyl first,see how it looks,then do it in paint once you're 100% you like the look?

After the car is painted is a bad time to find your idea doesnt look as cool as you thought.
Why is this guy on a Mustang Forum? He is trash talking mustangs on another thread here too...it says Mustang Evolution, not Facebook...oh, Optimus Prime called, he said all VW Bugs in muscle clothing need to putt back to base to finish watching the Golden Girls marathon
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague

Why is this guy on a Mustang Forum? He is trash talking mustangs on another thread here too...it says Mustang Evolution, not Facebook...oh, Optimus Prime called, he said all VW Bugs in muscle clothing need to putt back to base to finish watching the Golden Girls marathon
Hahahahahaha That is funny!!...

But don't worry!.. The other thread got shut down!.. Partly because of me!... Sorry about that guys!... Lol.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Hahahahahaha That is funny!!...

But don't worry!.. The other thread got shut down!.. Partly because of me!... Sorry about that guys!... Lol.
Guess i was a little mean, Golden Girls is actually a pretty good TV show
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

I dunno about the other thread, but that sounded like good advice. Its what Im doing. Note that custom vinyl aint cheap either, though. I got quoted $400 for roof blackout & 2 short stripes.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My custom painted boss stripes and kit set me back 1,000. It's well worth it BUT if you are going black you will be pissed off in 2 weeks tops due to scratches since its your DD. also if your going to trade it in do vinyl. If your keeping it and possibly passing it on. (19) then paint it. But paint looks better and you can wax it too instead of going around it and have wax on the lines.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
soooo that wasn't a mustang police car in the movie?
wow, i was so sure it was.

/insert random insult here
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I'm with the ones who said go vinyl first, then if you like it paint it. Painted on does look much better, but costs a lot more... and once it's on there, you're stuck. I have vinyl stripes on mine... once they were on I decided I should have gone a little wider. Later on I plan to have them painted on, with the added width.
lilredgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Difference being is that GM had no real plans to build the new Camaro, until after they saw the success of the movie!.. And it's only because of the movies have there sales been as good as they are!.. Lol. Can't tell ya how many Camaros I've seen with the Transformers logo plastered all over it!.. Not to mention the ones you can get straight from GM!.. Lol
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Difference being is that GM had no real plans to build the new Camaro, until after they saw the success of the movie!.. And it's only because of the movies have there sales been as good as they are!.. Lol. Can't tell ya how many Camaros I've seen with the Transformers logo plastered all over it!.. Not to mention the ones you can get straight from GM!.. Lol
I see alot of yellow transformer gaymaros
Saucywalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think you missed the point
Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:

Best looking cop car I've ever seen.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT

And that's what the Mustang is here to do, To Punish And Enslave all Camaros!... Lol
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT

+1
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Crapmaros are just that CRAP!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Listen, Camaro... I understand. I honestly do. I had an SS, same color as yours. Loaded, well loaded in what Chevy has to offer (no torsten with the 3.73, or nav or decent stereo). I know the pain of getting smoked by the 5.0s and straining to keep up with the sixes. Hit anything backing up yet cuz you are looking out a turret? It's ok! I almost did too. Look, that 'old tech' is to blame. Solid rear axles put the power down more efficiently and leave us camaro owners trying to explain why we are still in the 5's on the 0-60. IT IS OK, I know your pain. I'd hug you if I could. Now wipe that tear from your eye, get out of your mom's basement and go buy a real muscle car.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

Listen, Camaro... I understand. I honestly do. I had an SS, same color as yours. Loaded, well loaded in what Chevy has to offer (no torsten with the 3.73, or nav or decent stereo). I know the pain of getting smoked by the 5.0s and straining to keep up with the sixes. Hit anything backing up yet cuz you are looking out a turret? It's ok! I almost did too. Look, that 'old tech' is to blame. Solid rear axles put the power down more efficiently and leave us camaro owners trying to explain why we are still in the 5's on the 0-60. IT IS OK, I know your pain. I'd hug you if I could. Now wipe that tear from your eye, get out of your mom's basement and go buy a real muscle car.
F***ing awsome!... Hahahahahaha.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

Hehehehe! Very nice.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93

Hehehehe! Very nice.
Epic!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Epic!
Thanks guys. Just joined this forum, and really enjoying it (trying to stop looking at it!) you guys know your stuff, so f-tard trolls like this set me off. I really did have the same POS, uploaded photos so he'd know I'm not a piker. I honestly know the frustration he has. I never trolled mustang forums tho... Loser
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide
Im getting mine painted for 300.00. My good friend is an excellent paint and body guy
Entire car? Or just hood?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka

Entire car? Or just hood?
Entire car
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Entire car
Dude, he want another project car? . I wanted to get a flat black stripe similar to what I got.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude, he want another project car? . I wanted to get a flat black stripe similar to what I got.
Come down to Houston he will take care of you
Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Come down to Houston he will take care of you
I might just take you up on that offer. Got family to visit just out of Dallas in Fristo. Could make it family weekend. Drop the car off for paint and head back after a few days. Now just need to get the redesigned black Momba hood that comes out for sema this year. My stage3 connection said it is a whole new beast. Your guy also paint the hood to match as well as stripe? Take it yes with doing body and paint.

It is a redesign of this hood:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/c=7...Unpainted.html
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I might just take you up on that offer. Got family to visit just out of Dallas in Fristo. Could make it family weekend. Drop the car off for paint and head back after a few days. Now just need to get the redesigned black Momba hood that comes out for sema this year. My stage3 connection said it is a whole new beast. Your guy also paint the hood to match as well as stripe? Take it yes with doing body and paint.

It is a redesign of this hood:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/c=7...Unpainted.html
Yeah this guy is really good. He gives me insane cheap prices because I send business to him. He will do it at my price for you if I tell him.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Thanks guys. Just joined this forum, and really enjoying it (trying to stop looking at it!) you guys know your stuff, so f-tard trolls like this set me off. I really did have the same POS, uploaded photos so he'd know I'm not a piker. I honestly know the frustration he has. I never trolled mustang forums tho... Loser
actually,as far as this thread goes,you guys trolled me first. i was trying to be constructive...***.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:

actually,as far as this thread goes,you guys trolled me first. i was trying to be constructive...***.
I've got the perfect mod for your Camero.
Attached Images

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Yea we know Camaro started off on the wrong foot, but he was being constructive... I'm not defending his car choice lol, but he's dropped the s***** attitude so give him a break, I know his profile says some blasphemous things but don't we all make bad decisions? Lol

But for real, be easy and let him learn, he's greatly outnumbered here anyways

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Yea we know Camaro started off on the wrong foot, but he was being constructive... I'm not defending his car choice lol, but he's dropped the s***** attitude so give him a break, I know his profile says some blasphemous things but don't we all make bad decisions? Lol

But for real, be easy and let him learn, he's greatly outnumbered here anyways
Fair enough

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT