Seafoam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Seafoam

Just wondering if anyone has tried seafoam. I tried it the other day and it stopped the ticking from the engine. It's been a couple days and I haven't notice any more ticking. I'll listen to it in the morning to make sure if it's still gone.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Wat is sea foam ...that ticking is annoying my 10 gt I had did the same thing
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Seafoam

Seafoam! The stuff is liquid gold, I used it regularly on my heavily modified '03 SRT4 (before she died, RIP old girl...). Keeps the vac lines clear, cleans injectors, and creates the best toxic cloud of death you can find in a bottle. My '13 is still too new for me to be worried about gunk collecting in my lines, but one day, she'll get a treatment also.

The ticking you hear is probably from sticky valves. Seafoam should clean the gunk out of those pretty well, you might have to run a bottle or two. Unhook your PCV hose while the car is running (it'll start to idle pretty rough), and insert it in the seafoam bottle and let the vacuum pressure suck it in. Only do a few ounces at a time, wait a few seconds, and let it suck up a little more. Once the bottle is empty, reattach the PCV valve and let it run for a bit. Go sit in the driver's seat and give it some gas to work it thru the vac system. It should stink, smoke, shudder for a minute or two and then even out...and the ticking will probably be gone.

Things to keep in mind: do not do this around civilization. Go find a field or an abandoned parking lot. Usually you'll get a huge cloud of smoke and it smells like hell. Keep your windows up, and have the A/C turned on to prevent the smell from getting into your interior. Once the smoke has died down a bit, go find a good backroad somewhere and drive it like you stole it to burn the rest of the seafoam out. You'll still faintly smell the seafoam for about a week after you do the treatment, but it goes away eventually. Trust me, you'll never forget that smell.

Your car should be running great afterwards, though. I'll swear by seafoam, that stuff is awesome.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I only have 2000 miles on my 12 5.0 I don't wana use gunk either bit it shouldn't have sticky valves right
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

not yet, no...
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke
Wat is sea foam ...that ticking is annoying my 10 gt I had did the same thing
My first fox, my 03 cobra and my 07gt all had a tick. A very faint one on my 11gt.
2011gt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt85

My first fox, my 03 cobra and my 07gt all had a tick. A very faint one on my 11gt.
Yea I think its just the way they are.. ford should take care of that
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

sea foam been around a long time..some people swear by it..I know we have a bunch of 5.4 and 4.6 in our fleet,,they are all f150 and f250,,but ive done alot of camshaft and rockers in those engine..Alot of time you can catch it before it hurts the cams..They say the camshafts are the last to get the oil during start up..I also heard excessive idling can cause cam problems..Thats what a Jasper guy told us at work
Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well mine didn't smoke too too bad I've seen a lot worse out of my old 350. Ha it almost looked like the woods were on fire. I put it though the PVC hose to the intake. I usually put it in the brake hose but the PVC hose was easier access. And I still haven't heard any ticking it has 24k miles.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom
Well mine didn't smoke too too bad I've seen a lot worse out of my old 350. Ha it almost looked like the woods were on fire. I put it though the PVC hose to the intake. I usually put it in the brake hose but the PVC hose was easier access. And I still haven't heard any ticking it has 24k miles.
Yes sea foam definitely has its place but I wouldn't put it in my brand new car.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes sea foam definitely has its place but I wouldn't put it in my brand new car.
Well this ain't your car and its solved my ticking for now so I thought I would share it. And why not put it in a new car I haven't heard anything wrong with doing it. My car has 24k miles I'm sure it had some build up on the valves.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom

Well this ain't your car and its solved my ticking for now so I thought I would share it. And why not put it in a new car I haven't heard anything wrong with doing it. My car has 24k miles I'm sure it had some build up on the valves.
Lol
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol
Lol
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well dam
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yuuupp

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

I know it doesn't benefit putting seafoam in a new engine. But I had a somewhat new car with a "tick". And seafoam says it fixes ticks so I tried it on my car and worked. So I'm guessing no one has tried it?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hell I never heard of it I heard of slick 50 and stp oil treatment and couple others that say they stop ticking but i know they gunk up your oil pump
Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Seafoam! The stuff is liquid gold, I used it regularly on my heavily modified '03 SRT4 (before she died, RIP old girl...). Keeps the vac lines clear, cleans injectors, and creates the best toxic cloud of death you can find in a bottle. My '13 is still too new for me to be worried about gunk collecting in my lines, but one day, she'll get a treatment also.

The ticking you hear is probably from sticky valves. Seafoam should clean the gunk out of those pretty well, you might have to run a bottle or two. Unhook your PCV hose while the car is running (it'll start to idle pretty rough), and insert it in the seafoam bottle and let the vacuum pressure suck it in. Only do a few ounces at a time, wait a few seconds, and let it suck up a little more. Once the bottle is empty, reattach the PCV valve and let it run for a bit. Go sit in the driver's seat and give it some gas to work it thru the vac system. It should stink, smoke, shudder for a minute or two and then even out...and the ticking will probably be gone.

Things to keep in mind: do not do this around civilization. Go find a field or an abandoned parking lot. Usually you'll get a huge cloud of smoke and it smells like hell. Keep your windows up, and have the A/C turned on to prevent the smell from getting into your interior. Once the smoke has died down a bit, go find a good backroad somewhere and drive it like you stole it to burn the rest of the seafoam out. You'll still faintly smell the seafoam for about a week after you do the treatment, but it goes away eventually. Trust me, you'll never forget that smell.

Your car should be running great afterwards, though. I'll swear by seafoam, that stuff is awesome.
Also before you finish off the bottle into the intake vacuum line drown it and shut her down, let it soak for 10-15 then start it back up. I used it as well on my 04 srt4 that saw 30psi of boost everyday until i sold it with 60k miles on it. People swore the engine was rebuilt.
Jukens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Seafoam is an amazing product. I have used it on the boat, backhoe, dumptruck, dodge 3500 diesel, and all the small engines like pressure washers, generators and such. It has no downside. I have found that using seafoam first, then adding Power Punch to the oil results in rings that seal and oil drips that slow if not stop. The Power Punch will give an old engine amazing HP, and a new engine longer life. I actually have run an engine for a short time with no oil and there were no immediate detectable sufferings. The Power Punch gives like 15 times the lubricosity of stand alone oil. You can use the Seafoam in tranny's, front and rear ends too.
Good luck
Dan
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Sounds like Seafoam is some good stuff ill have to check it out. I believe in maintaining a car even when it's new, that helps to keep it clean before it can get all gummed up!
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT