I have some mod money - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have some mod money

So, after careful research I was going to spend a few dollars on my 2012 GT Premium. Not a whole lot, but a few bucks.

This is what I have now:

1) Roush CAI (dealer installed, came with car)
2) Roush Axelback (dealer installed, came with car)
3) Roush lowering springs (dealer installed, came with car)
4) Barton shifter and bracket (love it)
5) Other non-performance mods, grills, hood struts, deck lid, bling crap

This is what I am thinking of buying:

1) SCT XCalibrator 3 w/ Custom Tune for Ford Mustang 388-3015ST

After some reading, mainly here, although some have had some issues with the SCT tuner, this still seems to be the one to get. I will get three tunes from Steeda. Based on my reading, Steeda seems to have well-performing, but safe tunes that have not caused many folks any issues.

2) Steeda Mustang Billet Oil Separator - Made in the USA 555-3712

Oil separators seem all the rage ... I admittedly do not fully understand why these are such a big deal - are they needed on all cars, or just Mustangs? Do I need two or just one for the passenger side? If so, why only the passenger side? Lots of seemingly smart people say they are a good thing to have, so I'll snag the Steeda along with my tuner. And an extra filter.

3) BBK Mustang After Cat X-Pipe (2011-2013 GT) 1460 - Free Shipping!

I love the sound of the Roush - and watched some videos with X-pipes and love that even more. This one is supposedly a direct bolt-on and is inexpensive. Anything to be concerned with? I assume this is not a "tune required" part.

Eventually, I was to enter my car in some local shows, just for fun. So I want to dress-up the engine bay a bit.

4) Steeda has all sorts of aluminum billet caps, etc. oil, radiator, fuse box, etc. They are a bit pricey but look really good.

5) Ford Racing BOSS 302 Mustang Coil Covers - Pre-painted (11-13 GT) M-6P067-M50B - Free Shipping!

I want the my covers race red - but this is a little pricey. I tried finding paint locally that matched, but came up short. Any suggestions on a perfect match appreciated ... and I'll paint them myself.

I also want to delete the silly sound tube ... doesn't anyone make something to plug the hole in the intake? The concept of this just seems silly and when people ask me what it is I am embarrassed to tell them.

Any and all comments / warnings / suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: I have some mod money

Definetly get the tuner. If you plan on doing more mods it would be better to get a tuner that comes with unlimited free tunes. Like the one that AM sells from SCT that BAMA tunes.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Do you have inspection in your county?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Do you have inspection in your county?
Yes, hence the need for an after-cat x-pipe. We do not do an emissions test, but the inspections requirements include verifying that a cat is installed when they inspect the exhaust.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What's the deal with new rims and the TPMS sensors and tool? What exactly do I need if I were to get rims? I was looking (gawking) at the Forgestar F14's:

Piano Black Forgestar F14 Mustang Wheel - 19x9 (05-13) 1990F14GLOSSBLACK051 - Free Shipping!

No desire for a staggered setup, and I can re-use my tires. I could then sell my "Brembo Package" wheels (hopefully) and recover some of the cost.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

can i get some money then
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Get the Tuner you wont regret. Makes a big difference
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

agreed, tuner helps, go with AM's SCT, free tunes for LIFE!!
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt View Post
agreed, tuner helps, go with AM's SCT, free tunes for LIFE!!
How do people generally feel about Steeda vs. Bama tunes? They both seem to have pretty strong followings.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
Yes, hence the need for an after-cat x-pipe. We do not do an emissions test, but the inspections requirements include verifying that a cat is installed when they inspect the exhaust.

If they just do a visual then hollow out the cats. The cats rob the 11 and up cars of HP. You won't be disappointed....get a tuner also.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If they just do a visual then hollow out the cats. The cats rob the 11 and up cars of HP. You won't be disappointed....get a tuner also.
Thanks ... I'll keep that in mind.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

All good choices. Either AM or Steeda tunes are solid. One advantage to Bama is that they give you a written guarantee that they will cover your engine if it pops and Ford denies warranty repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
What's the deal with new rims and the TPMS sensors and tool? What exactly do I need if I were to get rims? I was looking (gawking) at the Forgestar F14's:

Piano Black Forgestar F14 Mustang Wheel - 19x9 (05-13) 1990F14GLOSSBLACK051 - Free Shipping!

No desire for a staggered setup, and I can re-use my tires. I could then sell my "Brembo Package" wheels (hopefully) and recover some of the cost.
I run wheels without TPMS sensors and just deal with the light. It's right next to the Advancetrac light that's always on as well. Just make sure you find a shop that will mount/balance/align it on the car without TPMS. There is some NHTSA mandate that says they can't install non-tmps equipped tires on a car that had TPMS from the factory. The big-box chains will balk at you and insist you need sensors, most small local shops will look the other way for your business.

Quote:
You could also just swap the cats back in a week or so before each inspection. I know it's a huge pain, but you're talking about leaving about 20HP on the table.

These are specially designed to accept their offroad downpipes and the factory catted downpipes:
JBA After-Cat Mustang X-Pipe - 3in to 2.75in (11-13 GT) 1785SX - Free Shipping!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Can the dealer get you the race red paint you need to paint your cam covers? I painted mine ford blue about a year ago and it came out awesome and still looks great.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

OK, all - thanks for all the input. I changed it up a bit, but this is what I ordered.

1) Forgestar CF5's in 19x9 - I'll swap the Pirelli tires on, and I acquired new TPMS sensors and the tool. I can't live with lights on. Even the traction control light bugs me, but I can't like with another light. Seriously. It would drive me nuts. (from AM)
2) Some black hood accents (from AM)
3) JLT oil separator, passenger (from AM)
4) SCT tuner and Steeda 91 and 93 octane tunes (from steeda)
5) Steeda billet pedal covers

I skipped the under hood bling - I saw the rims and just had to have them. I am going to sell (or try to sell) by Brembo-package rims to hopefully recover some of the cost.

I also skipped the X-Pipe. I LOVE the sound of the Roush axle-back ... and I am just scared to mess with that right now. A couple of reviews said the change of tone was not good with the After-cat X-Pipe and the Roush ... just not worth the risk right now since I am way over budget with the rims and already love the sound.

AM say the black lug nuts are on back order ... so I'll have to use the stocks for a couple of weeks.

Can't wait to install the tune!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Boss power pack and 4.10 gears if you want a rocket!!
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64
Boss power pack and 4.10 gears if you want a rocket!!
That's pretty wild if you have the manual. Would be about the same as 4.30s in the 05-10 manuals.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta love AM ... order is already shipped, minus the black lug nuts which are back-ordered. I'll plasti-dip the stock ones in place to make them black until the new ones arrive.

No email from Steeda yet ... but they have to make the tunes, so no worries!

I am totally psyched to get all this stuff and install / get it installed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT