Issue yesterday - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Issue yesterday

Yesterday morning when i started my car up to head to church i noticed surging during idle but nothing else. After church the family went out to eat and on my way over to the restaurant my vehicle died at a light and when i turned it back on Limp mode was active. So I turned it off and turned it back on and got rid of it. it happened 2 more times on my way to the restaurant. on my way home from eating out the check engine light also came on as well as limp mode 2 more times. When i got home I Immediately pulled out my tuner and plugged it in to see what code was being thrown.

The code that came up was a P0100 code which ofcourse has to do with the MAF sensor. So i got my tools out and decided to check the MAF sensor for any problems. That was when i discovered that the CAI had completely fallen off of the throttle body. I thought AHA thats the problem! so i re-attached the CAI and reset the code.

took my car for a drive and no more limp mode. however i have noticed a very slight increase in roughness(sound and feeling through the gas pedal). I hear the slight roughness in engine noise more when traveling uphill or while in a higher gear at very low RPMs(6 gear @ 1200-1800) RPMs. Now the increased roughness could just be in my head(I'm new to the car scene and dont know much yet).

should i be worried at all?
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
D00m3dHitm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just going to throw this out there... Next time your car pops a cel or goes into limp mode, pull over immediately, turn it off and pop the hood. Keep your tuner in your car too, never know when you'll need to flash back to stock or read a dtc.

As far as the roughness, no clue. Can you be more specific? When you say rough, do you mean its jerky when accelerating or something?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Just going to throw this out there... Next time your car pops a cel or goes into limp mode, pull over immediately, turn it off and pop the hood. Keep your tuner in your car too, never know when you'll need to flash back to stock or read a dtc.

As far as the roughness, no clue. Can you be more specific? When you say rough, do you mean its jerky when accelerating or something?
Napolean remember a while back this happen to me when my rpm was hanging and you guided me threw the fuel trim process... This happen to me to my intake fell right off... Unplug your negative terminal and let the car learn its fuel trim again you will be fine... Make sure everything is nice and tight
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Issue yesterday

no its not rough or jerky when accelerating. im talking about the engine noise itself. about 2 months ago i removed the foam plugs from the sound tube, so i can actually hear the engine a lot more. And ever since the incident yesterday, the sounds coming from the engine just sound slightly rougher. I'm not really quite sure how to explain the sound that i hear(that i don't remember hearing before).

Here is a video i took a little bit ago, I can sorta hear it but its a crappy cellphone video

VID 20120813 104834 - YouTube
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
no its not rough or jerky when accelerating. im talking about the engine noise itself. about 2 months ago i removed the foam plugs from the sound tube, so i can actually hear the engine a lot more. And ever since the incident yesterday, the sounds coming from the engine just sound slightly rougher. I'm not really quite sure how to explain the sound that i hear(that i don't remember hearing before).

Here is a video i took a little bit ago, I can sorta hear it but its a crappy cellphone video

VID 20120813 104834 - YouTube
I can't watch that at work (no headphones lol) but I'll try to remember to check it out when I get home.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I already did the Idle re-learn this morning as well as reloading the Bama tune(their idea).
Old 08-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

Is something else loose? always possible. sound tube, intake tube?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing else is loose
Old 08-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I think it just needs to relearn the air fuel !! Sucking in alot more air than with the filter on and tried to recalibrate the mix!! Drive a while and it should settle down!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

OK cool
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have to wonder if it calibrated with the hose partly off. I'd pull the negative battery terminal and do the relearn.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Give it time it make take a while for it to learn again how to run.
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
old thread but new problem for me?? What causes rough acceleration and jerkiness?? I previously ran a 91r tune from bama then had a 93r tune sent yeaterday. i uploaded it to ecu, and did the 3 min idle with ac off and with it on. The difference is crap. I only use 93 octane when fueling. Any suggestions?? Mods are as follows:
Boss IM, Airaid CAI, JBA H-Pipe cat delete, and Roush axlebacks
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
old thread but new problem for me?? What causes rough acceleration and jerkiness?? I previously ran a 91r tune from bama then had a 93r tune sent yeaterday. i uploaded it to ecu, and did the 3 min idle with ac off and with it on. The difference is crap. I only use 93 octane when fueling. Any suggestions?? Mods are as follows:
If it started when you changed the tune, that's likely the culprit. I would try returning to stock, reflashing, then do the idle/fuel trim relearn. Make sure you read all the directions, it's very specific and you have to drive for at least 10 miles after the idle portion without shutting the engine off for it to complete.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
Did you disconnect the battery for at least 30 mins prior to the idle portion?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

no, i figured that was just for non-tuned relearn. ill give it a try
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Honestly the disconnect is one of the more important parts, I tried doing the same thing you did before and it helped a little but the disconnect is what seems to really put it in the relearn mode

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Honestly the disconnect is one of the more important parts, I tried doing the same thing you did before and it helped a little but the disconnect is what seems to really put it in the relearn mode
Yeah, the procedure should be right after a reflash or batty disconnect.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

so, i did the disconnect and relearn procedures and it seemed to help a lil. ill wait to see if it corrects it on its own completely. However, the exhaust sounds great now. The car wobbles from side to side while idling very noticeably now which is cool.normal? idk. I also figured out where my exhaust was rattling at. The rear hanger was tapping against the brace. I guess because my axlebacks are pushed out to far. with the new h-pipe causing this.oh well, ill put rubber bushings between to kill the vibrations. Thanks though for the battery disconnect info
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n View Post
Yesterday morning when i started my car up to head to church i noticed surging during idle but nothing else. After church the family went out to eat and on my way over to the restaurant my vehicle died at a light and when i turned it back on Limp mode was active. So I turned it off and turned it back on and got rid of it. it happened 2 more times on my way to the restaurant. on my way home from eating out the check engine light also came on as well as limp mode 2 more times. When i got home I Immediately pulled out my tuner and plugged it in to see what code was being thrown.

The code that came up was a P0100 code which ofcourse has to do with the MAF sensor. So i got my tools out and decided to check the MAF sensor for any problems. That was when i discovered that the CAI had completely fallen off of the throttle body. I thought AHA thats the problem! so i re-attached the CAI and reset the code.

took my car for a drive and no more limp mode. however i have noticed a very slight increase in roughness(sound and feeling through the gas pedal). I hear the slight roughness in engine noise more when traveling uphill or while in a higher gear at very low RPMs(6 gear @ 1200-1800) RPMs. Now the increased roughness could just be in my head(I'm new to the car scene and dont know much yet).

should i be worried at all?
do the re-learn and don't expect it to adjust immediately.Alot of stop and go,highway riding,idles,ac on and off etc. helps it out even more.
My big concern would be what could have got sucked into your motor with CAI off.I would take it off and be sure its clean,no damage and re-install making sure it is on correctly. Sucking something in that motor can big disaster.Not trying to scare ya but this is true.You dont even want bugs and grit getting in there man. JMO
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT