Clutch give when shifting fast?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Clutch give when shifting fast??

Whats up with the clutch going all the way in except maybe two inches when shifting gears fast? Is that normal? Maybe some new Ford technology? Whatever it is it screws me up and I end up throwing it in 5th instead of 3rd everytime... Embarassing
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #2

Region: South Carolina
Re: Clutch give when shifting fast??

I had same problem shifting into 5 instead of third. Every since i changed the shift bracket with a barton I have yet to miss a gear.
12stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

I always seem to do the same thing never 3rd only 5th and it really messes up my speed. Especially when I'm racing.
RhoudezGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've never had it happen yet because i've never pushed it to the limits but I recently purchased an MGW shifter for that confidence when I do decide to.

I read it has to do with the bracket being subpar
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had the clutch doing the same thing, I'm yet to have that problem after changing the clutch and trans though. Yay for tremec. It was difficult to miss a gear with the Barton shifter and bracket. I still have a Barton shifter and bracket if you're interested pm me.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Are saying your clutch is sticking to the floor under WOT? Thats a whole another issue. Thats a problem common in 2011 with pressure plate bolts backing out.If I understand right what you are saying you need to get that fixed. Missing 3rd is not that uncommon.MGW is the way to go.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have a late 2012 and I get the same clutch pedal response, except it seems more RPM related than "fast shifting" related...I only notice it above 6k rpm give or take a few hundo. I figured it's some kind of feature since:
1. The clutch isn't slipping
B. The clutch disengages fully when pressed
iii. The clutch pedal returns to normal after a while.

I just figured the clutch is super smart, knows that I'm ****tin and gettin, and reduces travel so I can shift into gears more quickly.

The missing gears part...that's not the clutch, my friend. That's probably due to your adrenal glands.
hpisloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
Whats up with the clutch going all the way in except maybe two inches when shifting gears fast? Is that normal? Maybe some new Ford technology? Whatever it is it screws me up and I end up throwing it in 5th instead of 3rd everytime... Embarassing
Yeah, happened to me. Worse once got the SC. The torque in the trans would twist the shifter. Had my friend watch as I pushed it. MGW pokes at the rear bracket of the shifter the issue. Sure looks like a bad design. I'm thinking the new MGW bracket and being sprung makes a difference. Only went for a quick drive today after my install and I just pushed forward from second to see what gear it would catch and went right for third. Felt really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-489540703.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	70542  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0
I had the clutch doing the same thing, I'm yet to have that problem after changing the clutch and trans though. Yay for tremec. It was difficult to miss a gear with the Barton shifter and bracket. I still have a Barton shifter and bracket if you're interested pm me.
You're running the t56 magnum? How do you like it? Where did you get it and what was the total cost with install?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
You're running the t56 magnum? How do you like it? Where did you get it and what was the total cost with install?
I got the transmission from and had the install done at Amp Performance in Phoenix, AZ. First gear is 2.97, .80 fifth, .63 sixth. I had the rear end re-geared *3.73, she rips through first and second, an axle shaft replaced, and the pan hard bar replaced also with the trans swap. I went with a McLeod RST clutch, this clutch is really great and worth the money. I do not remember what companies drive shaft i ended up with, it is aluminum. Total price with labor was $7,800, there is more that I'm not listing to try and keep this short. The transmission is performing better than expected so far, actually being able to feel the rpms, because of it being a direct top mount shifter, is exactly what should have been done in bringing the 5.0 back. If i wanted to feel like was in a cadillac i would have bought a ctsv. There is sounds that might scare some if you had never driven a pretty much "race" setup drivetrain before, or just dont have a more than average mechanical sense of what sounds are safe and which are bad. Anyone around Phx,az thats looking into this swap and would like to check it out is more than welcome PM me. Hope i answered your questions if you have any more lemme know.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #11

How much for the Barton Shifter??
RhoudezGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoudezGt View Post
How much for the Barton Shifter??
I sent you a pm.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
I know this is an old question but ThatDudeInBlue on YouTube put up a video showing that it was the helper spring that sucked the pedal in at high rpms.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT