What Wheels Should I Get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
What Wheels Should I Get?

I am entirely new to this, this is my first car. It is a 2013 Ford Mustang GT.

I have 18" rims. What wheels/rims should I get that would make this car look good. I am not interested in spending big amounts of money on wheels/rims either, I just want something that would make the car look good for a decent price.

What tires should I get too? I have the stock tires which are for 18" rims and I really do not know what I should get.

I currently have the full Borla Atak Catback installed and will be getting a custom tune and CAI in the upcoming months, if that is important for tire choices.

helloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You need some tint on them windows first lol.

---------- Post added 08-14-2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-13-2012 at 11:39 PM ----------

I think the roush rims would look good on the red. Either in hyper black or chrome.
Raxiom switchback turn signals, Black billet grill
Tinted tail lights and markers
86custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: What Wheels Should I Get?

black amr wheels.
or charcoal.
they are cheap and look extremely good, from AM
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Here's some rims I've been checking out lately. Hopefully I can get them on October with my bonus. http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale....R500TOYO20INCH
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86custom
Here's some rims I've been checking out lately. Hopefully I can get them on October with my bonus. http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale....R500TOYO20INCH
Cant go wrong with fr500s!
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I like the Solid black wheels instead of the polished or chromed lip. I'm sick of my rtr's thought they were cool till I notice every body has there own look a like. 19's suck cause of the over priced tires and little choices.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Definitely do the suspension first before even thinking about wheels... if u get the wheels first, the fender gaps stand out like a sore thumb
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

My new Forgestar CF5's should be here today ... piano black.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Welcome to the site!

Let me start off by saying that your car looks awesome! Congratulations on the 2013.

As far as the wheels and tires, you really opened a can of worms. Wheels are pretty much up to your personal taste. No matter what you pick, some will like it and some wont. The beautiful thing about Mustangs is that there are so many options and you can really make the car an extension of your taste and personality. There are lots of complete kits available from sites like Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle - Free Shipping! and Ford Mustang Parts & Ford Lightning Parts at LatemodelRestoration.com. Don't be afraid to go against the grain.

That said, there are special considerations to be had with size if you plan to do corner carving, drag racing, road courses, autox, or just appearance. Letting us know more about your goals will help us guide you down the correct path.

As far as tires, this is completely dependent on your goals, climate, usage, and a million other factors. What do you expect out of your tires? Is your car a daily driver? Is it driven in rain, freezing temperatures (below 40), or snow? How many miles are you expecting out of your tires? There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

Regarding the tune and CAI ... tunes are great, but be aware of the warranty implications. There are already about a hundred threads on this here and elsewhere, so do some searching for the information you need. CAIs are worthless from a performance aspect, and there is some concern about them potentially hydrolocking your engine since the hood vents dump water directly on them. As of now, C&L is the only manufacturer who makes a 2013 specific CAI to remedy this issue.

I also agree with the above statement about doing suspension first. Springs are stupid cheap (you can pick up some Eibach pro-kits for about $250) and can be installed with a set of helping hands, the right tools and some patience. I did take my new springs and front struts to a shop and had them swap em out ... cost me $40 and was well worth not messing with a spring compressor and the strut mounts (they're tricky and can come apart).

I hope this helps! Please let us know more about your goals/plans and we will point you in the right direction.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Sweet lookin' ride! Welcome to ME

I would consider window tint IMO. I think the stock wheels look great.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Gt500 wheels!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120814_161304.png
Views:	315
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	63783   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120814_161315.png
Views:	267
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	63784  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120814_161327.png
Views:	331
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	63785  
tolly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I'll sell you my FRPP track pack wheels if interested

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloWorld View Post
I am entirely new to this, this is my first car. It is a 2013 Ford Mustang GT.

I have 18" rims. What wheels/rims should I get that would make this car look good. I am not interested in spending big amounts of money on wheels/rims either, I just want something that would make the car look good for a decent price.

What tires should I get too? I have the stock tires which are for 18" rims and I really do not know what I should get.

I currently have the full Borla Atak Catback installed and will be getting a custom tune and CAI in the upcoming months, if that is important for tire choices.

helloWorld,

Welcome to MustangEvolution, and congrats on your 2013 5.0 pick-up!

If affordable, good looking wheels are what you're looking for, I think you'll love the AMR wheel/tire packages we have available. Tons of other MustangEvolution members are sporting these wheels and love them too!

The great thing about the wheel/tire package is the sweet selection of tires you can go with. Personally, I like the Nitto 555s because they're affordable and a great everyday performance tire. You'll still be amazed at the difference in traction over stock, plus you can get a good looking staggered set for that aggressive muscle car look.

As someone already mentioned, wheels are a touchy subject and everyone has their own opinion. We have a wide selection of wheel/tire packages to chose from too. Don't think you're limited to just AMR wheels. Also, don't forget that we have free ground shipping to the lower 48 States and free tire mounting/balancing!

Give me a shout of you have any more questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska

I thank you all for the responses. You guys have posted stuff that I have not thought about.

Thank You Napoleon for your post about the hood vents and CAI, I did not think there would be any issue with that, but it is good that I know.

As far as what I want to accomplish. Let me start by saying, I know that I have a fast car, I know that it is not super-fast, but I have no intention of ever racing it or dragging it or anything. As a matter of fact, I HARDLY have my accelerator more than a 1/4 of the way down most of the time. The reason why I am interested in some performance mods, is to have the power if I ever really need to use it.

I guess you can say that I am going more into looks here with a hint of performance. This car is my first car and my only car as of right now, so it is a daily driver. I bought it last month and it already has 4000 miles on it. I drive it in rain as well and the average temperature where I am is about 95 plus fahrenheit with extremely high humidity. If the company I work for will not let me drive the company vehicle during the winter season (provided I pay them 55 cents a mile) then I will be driving this car in the snow and ice as well.
helloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Then get some nice looking 19 or 20" wheels. They're heavy and the tire selection sucks, but if you're not racing they look a lot better.

That said, I would keep you stock wheels and buy a set of blizzaks for the winter. Salt WILL, not might - will, destroy your wheels so I would let your stockers suffer that fate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT