Oil Separator Education - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Oil Separator Education

So, my package from AM with rims, some vinyl, and my JLT Separator should be here today.

I totally understand my having the oil sucked back into the engine is a Bad Thing.

Couple of basic questions, just for educational purposes.

1) I understand that the passenger side is the one to get if you're only getting one ... why is this? I asked elsewhere and was told that the passenger side would capture more oil ... yeah, ok ... but WHY?
2) I see little discussion on what to do with the oil ... but I assume that putting it back into the engine would be a Bad Idea, correct?
3) Do all engines generally benefit from this sort of device? Or, is there something about our 5.0 engines that causes more oil to be collected here?

Thanks ... I like to fully understand things when possible.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Oil Separator Education

I'm just getting up to speed on this myself (and becoming convinced I ought to get one). From reading around the forums it seems the placement of the PCV valve has a lot to do with why the passenger side sucks most of the oil. I've also seen mentioned a few times to just dump the oil since it is now contaminated.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy

not to mention the passenger side one leads straight back in through your air intake. I have one installed on the passenger side and the way to think of it overall is that the system is constantly cycling from side to side so the oil vapors that come through the driver side will eventually end up over at the passenger side and get filtered out through the oil separator. Another thing I did is is disconnected the pcv from the driver and passenger side and the passenger side did have oil residue on it while the driver side did not.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

There's two "sides" to your PCV system. The passenger side is the high pressure side, as that the side receiving most blow by gases and pumping losses from the crankcase and is subjected to post-throttle plate manifold pressure, which is usually high vacuum in most driving conditions. the system is closed so there isn't a major vacuum leak from this. The other side is open to atmo via the air filter and thus is only affected by intake flow velocity and atmo pressure.

Hence, putting the catch can in the place where the oil vapours are under the highest pressure, negative or positive, will yield the best results in operation.

That help explain it?
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
not to mention the passenger side one leads straight back in through your air intake. I have one installed on the passenger side and the way to think of it overall is that the system is constantly cycling from side to side so the oil vapors that come through the driver side will eventually end up over at the passenger side and get filtered out through the oil separator. Another thing I did is is disconnected the pcv from the driver and passenger side and the passenger side did have oil residue on it while the driver side did not.
OK, that makes sense.

My wife tells me my packages are waiting for me ... so I will do this install this evening. It appears to be very simple.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I need to pick up one. My LS cars would do the same thing and I used a small air/oil separator for an air compressor to catch the oil. These with the factory hoses will be much easier and look better too.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Installed. Even easier than the easy I thought it would be. I did have to take the strut tower brace off to get the cover off ... maybe I could have gotten the hose off with it in place, but it only takes a few minutes to take it off. Used the opportunity to clean it up really well.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
There you go and yeah it's easy to install n then just check it now and again

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
There's two "sides" to your PCV system. The passenger side is the high pressure side, as that the side receiving most blow by gases and pumping losses from the crankcase and is subjected to post-throttle plate manifold pressure, which is usually high vacuum in most driving conditions. the system is closed so there isn't a major vacuum leak from this. The other side is open to atmo via the air filter and thus is only affected by intake flow velocity and atmo pressure.

Hence, putting the catch can in the place where the oil vapours are under the highest pressure, negative or positive, will yield the best results in operation.

That help explain it?
Yes, thanks. That was very helpful.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Thanks, 5LHO. Nice clear explanation of what is going on. This mod will be done soon for me--probably right after the first oil change (dealer is covering that & I don't need to raise modding issues right away ).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I went ahead and ordered a JLT one a couple of days ago. I've got 2k miles on mine and need to go ahead and peek into the intake and see how much oil has made it in there so far.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
I went ahead and ordered a JLT one a couple of days ago. I've got 2k miles on mine and need to go ahead and peek into the intake and see how much oil has made it in there so far.
I would not bother trying to look. Just put it on. You are good to go. The 1st 8-10,000 miles will use oil so keep a eye on that.It will scare the **** out of you.It's normal ring flutter break-in on these type motors.These motors are excellent.I have had hot rods from 60's to late model LS motors and other 5.0 from way back and I still think Ford has carried it to the future with this design.It will continue to get better.Not at all shabby now!! If you make close redline pulls or any racing keep a close eye on the oil.CAN'T say that enough.Be on very level ground when checking.Bad move if anybody thinks they can buy one of these cars and not even watch the oil till oil change time.That JLT catch can will collect some but just dump every 500 or so miles.Thats what I do.Never put back in the motor.And for god sakes do not stick just any oil, especially just any weight thinking you are doing something smart.The tolerances are so close that it's thin for a reason.If you want to know how your motor is doing internally......Collect a sample in one of BLACKSTONES bottles and send it in.Only 25.00. They will give you a real lab report.Just my .02
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I checked mine after just a short while and there was like a 1/2 teaspoon in there. I have been driving a little harder lately since the installation of the tune and I have been doing some data logging.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
I checked mine after just a short while and there was like a 1/2 teaspoon in there. I have been driving a little harder lately since the installation of the tune and I have been doing some data logging.
That is all good and would be the case for mine too.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT