First time tuner ... Steeda tune downloaded! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
First time tuner ... Steeda tune downloaded!

So, I pulled the trigger and downloaded the Steeda 93 octane tune (the only non-93 that has ever been in the car was the dealer fill).

I admit I was a little nervous when I started it ... but no problems. Some observations.

1) The SCT tuner walks you through it - it's pretty idiot proof.
2) For the first 1/4 mile or so, there seemed to be some hesitation when giving it a modest amount of gas pedal. This cleared up and it never seemed to do it again. It's not "warm up" related - the engine was still hot from driving home 20 minutes earlier.
3) With the hood up and revving the engine a bit, I can hear the Roush CAI (I know, I know) sucking briefly as the throttle is initially applied. Cool. Not sure if it did that before ... if it did, I never noticed.
4) Traction control is now my friend or I'll be buying new tires soon. It's definitely easier to spin with TC off.

Is there anything I should check? I drove in 6th gear at like 1300 RPM's and floored it and listened for pinging and didn't hear anything ... is that a valid indication or is there something else I should do? Steeda claims that the knock sensors are all still in full effect ... but these things do make me a little nervous.

Overall ... me likes. I will actually remember the moment of my last skip shift.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I just got my Steeda tunes today but have yet to download them into my car. There have been no reports of engines blown from Steeda tunes, and I have never heard anything bad about their tunes... I'll give updates when I download them

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: First time tuner ... Steeda tune downloaded!

I was a little concerned with the hesitation ... maybe something was quickly re-learned? I drove for about 15 miles under varying throttle / RPM / gear combos and it never did it again.

If it stays this way, it's good with me.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Does anyone know if the Steeda tunes change the redline? The SCT tool seems to let you set the redline to whatever you want ... honestly, anything over 7k scares the crap out of me. I'm a noob. I guess I can check it with the tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yes, the initial hesitation is just relearning, I've changed tunes many times and it always does that. Not sure if Steeda will raise redline, you should be good to 75-7600 rpms if you wanna spin it that high, but I wouldn't spin it that high without boss intake

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yes, the initial hesitation is just relearning, I've changed tunes many times and it always does that. Not sure if Steeda will raise redline, you should be good to 75-7600 rpms if you wanna spin it that high, but I wouldn't spin it that high without boss intake
I tend to be rather conservative (so tuning at all it a big deal for me) and I have only brought it to 7k once ... typically shift at 6500 or so. I don't know what (if anything) I lose by shifting there, but whatever it is probably isn't noticeable by me.

I have come to realize that the car's capabilities probably exceed my driving abilities ... and that's OK. For now.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Glad you are enjoying the tune!!

TJ
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Not a long-term drive, but using the internal MPG calculator simply for relative comparison of fuel economy before and after the tune, it definitely seemed higher going into work today.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

a downloaded non custom tune wont be the best, it may be nearly perfect but each car is different. The reason I say this is so you GET IT DYNOED and have the A/F checked. Its VERY important... whats 75-100 bucks vs a new motor? Plus once the dyno is done you can have the manuf (well any manuf thats worth anything) update the tune to tweek it for your car to finalize the tune and you should be set.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
[/COLOR]Does anyone know if the Steeda tunes change the redline? The SCT tool seems to let you set the redline to whatever you want ... honestly, anything over 7k scares the crap out of me. I'm a noob. I guess I can check it with the tool.
Yes, we do raise the rev limiter.
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the rev limiter is there for a reason, the engine doesnt need to spin any faster than the components can take, usually peak power is not at the rev limit so its not a huge factor unless you need to stretch out a gear so you can get across the quarter mark without shifting again or to get you into the next gear closer to the power band etc etc. Either way keep it safe as I am sure they will do.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the rev limiter is there for a reason, the engine doesnt need to spin any faster than the components can take, usually peak power is not at the rev limit so its not a huge factor unless you need to stretch out a gear so you can get across the quarter mark without shifting again or to get you into the next gear closer to the power band etc etc. Either way keep it safe as I am sure they will do.
Yeah, I don't feel the need for a higher rev limit, personally - however some tunes do raise it.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Downloading tunes as I type!

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Downloaded successfully, rough start (expected) now just doing idle relearn procedure. Everything seems great so far

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't do any sort of re-learn procedure ... should I have? The idle seems fine to me.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

the idle is usually fine, but often times surging can and will occur when engine is still cold. I will say this. This Steeda tune is VERY close to stock... if not better, and I mean that in all the best ways possible. very driveable and liveable on the street! Still has a decent amount of power.....

and here is MY complaint... power. Now I didn't expect this thing to be uber powerful, but this is the one downfall. My 91 octane BBR tune has as much power if not more than my Steeda 93 tune. other than this fact a great tune.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

My sct tuner gives a little surge,,in park if u idle for a long time,,you can barley notice it ,,ive had it for 2 years..I had little hesitation,,but the computer is learning in a new fuel stragegy,,it should be fine,,after you drive it a little
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the idle is usually fine, but often times surging can and will occur when engine is still cold. I will say this. This Steeda tune is VERY close to stock... if not better, and I mean that in all the best ways possible. very driveable and liveable on the street! Still has a decent amount of power.....

and here is MY complaint... power. Now I didn't expect this thing to be uber powerful, but this is the one downfall. My 91 octane BBR tune has as much power if not more than my Steeda 93 tune. other than this fact a great tune.
I have nothing to compare it to ... the biggest concern for my risk-adverse self is I wanted a safe tune, that mainly removed skip shift, artificial speed limits, better throttle response, etc. Not implying any other particular tunes are not safe, but I was unable to find any blown engines from Steeda's tunes.

Even the FRPP tune seemed to have more complaints (pinging) than the Steeda tunes, which is ultimately why I picked them. I can feel a difference ... and I am OK if some other tunes make a bit more power.

I have a slot left in my tuner so I can try another tune some day if I get bolder ... overall, I'm pleased.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

O I'm pleased overall as well, just wish it had more power... but that would be the epitome of "having my cake and eating it too..."

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
My sct tuner gives a little surge,,in park if u idle for a long time,,you can barley notice it ,,ive had it for 2 years..I had little hesitation,,but the computer is learning in a new fuel stragegy,,it should be fine,,after you drive it a little
After that initial 1/2 mile or so last night, it never did it again.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote:
O I'm pleased overall as well, just wish it had more power... but that would be the epitome of "having my cake and eating it too..."
Forgive my ignorance ... but other than some more power, how is the "driveability" of the BBR tune different? I simply have nothing to compare it to and am curious what people are referring to when they talk "driveability".

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

the BBR was by no means undriveable, but it just did not have the finesse of the Steeda/stock tune, a little less tame if you will, hard to explain you'd really just have to drive both. just all around more aggressive

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
a downloaded non custom tune wont be the best, it may be nearly perfect but each car is different. The reason I say this is so you GET IT DYNOED and have the A/F checked. Its VERY important... whats 75-100 bucks vs a new motor? Plus once the dyno is done you can have the manuf (well any manuf thats worth anything) update the tune to tweek it for your car to finalize the tune and you should be set.
Did some data logging of throttle position, Measured AFR banks 1 and 2, and RPM.

The AFR Reading is between .77 and 1.0 under load and WOT, hovers at 1 at idle. What's interesting is that after a WOT throttle run, with my foot off the gas and coasting in gear, the AFT goes to 2.0 consistently. Every time. Is that expected? It's only when the accelerator voltage is minimum (.82v).

Wouldn't 2 be like a nearly 30:1 air fuel ratio?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So, I guess the real question is what should I data log to verify A/F ratio, and what should the values be? I saw some other logs online and the 2.0 during deceleration with no pedal seems normal ... anything else I should check?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ran another one. measured AFR Lambda is consistently .83/.84 under WOT both at high and low (uphill lugging) RPM's.

I also recorded knock sensor .. .18v consistently, no change I assume means no knock was detected? So that's good, right?

Steeda guys ... does that sound good for your 93 octane tune?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT