For those of you with 5.0's that have an intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
For those of you with 5.0's that have an intake

Which brand are you running? and what are your numbers you're putting down with your intake?
and which one is better in your opinon to wake the car up.....my choices are JLT and Steeda...I saw a youtube video with a custom tune and a steeda intake the 5.0 threw down 411 HP and with the JLT it made 365???
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: For those of you with 5.0's that have an intake

then get the steeda
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
On an unmodded car, the CAI is not worth any measurable hp, even with the tuner. Now, the Steeda CAI is awesome, great fit and finish, does cost a little more but is well worth it. The JLT CAI can be very frustrating to use and can create a lot of surging and has a noisy MAF signal. Good luck

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk 1 View Post
then get the steeda
Well i would BUT this is why I am posting this thread because I'm curious what numbers others are throwing down and hoping I'll come across someone with a steeda CAI and ask them how much they are putting down....dont wanna buy an intake and not be satisfied with the numbers even tho all cars are different and I can end up with completely different numbers. I'm just trying to also figure out which one has the most potential of getting the most HP outta it.

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
On an unmodded car, the CAI is not worth any measurable hp, even with the tuner. Now, the Steeda CAI is awesome, great fit and finish, does cost a little more but is well worth it. The JLT CAI can be very frustrating to use and can create a lot of surging and has a noisy MAF signal. Good luck
define "modded car" for you to the point where a CAI is worth the buy
Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Well FI definitely needs a bigger intake... Honestly, until recently I was a firm believer that the CAI didn't do squat for the 11+. But after doing more research, I'm beginning to thing that maybe on a car with a decent amount of bolt ons it will make a difference. Like boss intake and offroad pipes and a good tune at the very least. Maybe even more than that. The more mods the more likely you would be to see measurable gains. Can't say where the start of measurable gains is yet but in a stock care getting a tune, an intake will yield no increases. I would still say get the Steeda. Still looks great and fits almost like oem

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Well FI definitely needs a bigger intake... Honestly, until recently I was a firm believer that the CAI didn't do squat for the 11+. But after doing more research, I'm beginning to thing that maybe on a car with a decent amount of bolt ons it will make a difference. Like boss intake and offroad pipes and a good tune at the very least. Maybe even more than that. The more mods the more likely you would be to see measurable gains. Can't say where the start of measurable gains is yet but in a stock care getting a tune, an intake will yield no increases. I would still say get the Steeda. Still looks great and fits almost like oem
U do have a point there. So basically making the car less restricted (more free flowing exhaust, possible throttle body upgrade and a legit tune) would show some gain. But right now my choice is towards the steeda.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Because all of the intake is already port matched there is not need for a new throttle body, it will yield zero gain, even with an upgraded or bored out intake... Zero gain. But yes freer flowing exhaust (the only real upgrades are headers and cat deletes, non of that muffler crap will get gains, but does sound great!) and other bolt ons like boss intake and get a good tune. Tuning is likely to void warranty in the case of major motor failure though, so keep that in mind

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Because all of the intake is already port matched there is not need for a new throttle body, it will yield zero gain, even with an upgraded or bored out intake... Zero gain. But yes freer flowing exhaust (the only real upgrades are headers and cat deletes, non of that muffler crap will get gains, but does sound great!) and other bolt ons like boss intake and get a good tune. Tuning is likely to void warranty in the case of major motor failure though, so keep that in mind
I didn't know that about the throttle bodies...good thing I research before I buy lol
But I already have plans on deleting cats and possibly headers (longtubes).warranty to me, the dealers will prly give me problems already because of my rear street radials and hearing stories from people about how dealers not wanting to do warranty work because they suspect abuse....really we all abuse our cars in a way so I'm gonna go ahead and say the hell with warranty lol and plus it's not my daily driver anyways
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

now that's what I like to hear !

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
now that's what I like to hear !
lol
yo one more quick question man
if you were to get a dyno run done for american muscles race tune, would u dyno your car with the tune they give out or just dyno it stock and then send in the info??
Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_5.0

lol
yo one more quick question man
if you were to get a dyno run done for american muscles race tune, would u dyno your car with the tune they give out or just dyno it stock and then send in the info??
Well I would do one or the other, not necessarily both. You don't have to get an email to get a dyno tune. Now if you want to get an email tune and get it checked on the dyno be my guest, but if you absolutely wanna choose A or B then get the email tune and get it refined on the dyno

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #12

Region: Alabama
With JLT intake and SCT programmer with custom tune from blow by racing, my car dyno'd at 393 rwhp.
11grabberblueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I've got the Steeda CAI, Boss IM and tune. I haven't dyno'd it but I pulled away from my buddies '12 stock auto GT. I kinda killed him, it got worse after every gear, he gave up half way through 3rd.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Man Dyno's are just Dyno's.They don't mean alot.You can go dyno your car at 3 shops in one day and get all kinds of numbers.None of the intakes are doing much with tune.The OEM is a true cold air and is fine.Do I use it ? NO! I use a JLT CF CAI and have no issues. At the dyno they will show some gain but at the track the OEM is right with it. I wouldn't be upset if I had to go back to the OEM.I have it and just may come inspection time and I got to pull the O/R -X pipe and put my catted X back on.May as well.Then if I got any small warranty issues I can carry it right on in. The JLT CF looks great and has some sound but intakes are not the big deal they usually are on these new coyote's. JMO or .02cents
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
Man Dyno's are just Dyno's.They don't mean alot.You can go dyno your car at 3 shops in one day and get all kinds of numbers.None of the intakes are doing much with tune.The OEM is a true cold air and is fine.Do I use it ? NO! I use a JLT CF CAI and have no issues. At the dyno they will show some gain but at the track the OEM is right with it. I wouldn't be upset if I had to go back to the OEM.I have it and just may come inspection time and I got to pull the O/R -X pipe and put my catted X back on.May as well.Then if I got any small warranty issues I can carry it right on in. The JLT CF looks great and has some sound but intakes are not the big deal they usually are on these new coyote's. JMO or .02cents
So driving wise (racing, speeding,accelerating) u don't notice a difference at all with the intake???

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
I've got the Steeda CAI, Boss IM and tune. I haven't dyno'd it but I pulled away from my buddies '12 stock auto GT. I kinda killed him, it got worse after every gear, he gave up half way through 3rd.
Hahaha nice! Im thinking about steeda for myn man

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11grabberblueGT
With JLT intake and SCT programmer with custom tune from blow by racing, my car dyno'd at 393 rwhp.
Thats really good for an intake and tune
How's the torque?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

On my '11 automatic I dynod stock at 360, I added a C&L intake and SCT tune and dynod 383 at GTR in Rancho Cucamonga. I also did a magnaflow competition muffler for sound... I doubt it had any impact on results.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT