Ford's procal tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Ford's procal tune

Thoughts ? I heard they good.for cars wit 331s
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Ford's procal tune

I have done a lot of reading on tunes, but by no means am an expert. I recently (couple days ago) installed the Steeda 93 octane tune. I had also considered the pro cal tune and Bama tunes as well.

From what I've read, the pro Cal tune does a lot for driveability, good low end torque, removes top speed, skip shift, etc. but in the end doesn't make as much HP as some other tunes. I think it's generally regarded as a very safe tune ... BUT more than a handful of people have reported engine pinging at some point after downloading the tune.

I went with Steeda as I could find the fewest (very few, in fact) complaints on their tunes, and was not able to find anyone who cited the Steeda tunes as causing engine damage.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Procal does NOT remove the top speed limiter, afaik. It does remove skip shift. It's an awesome street tune, especially for 3.31 cars.

The tune itself in terms of gains is measured using OEM standards of rigour on the measurement. Alot of aftermarket tunes don't do this, to boost their numbers and thus, sales. It also meets oem durability standards.

You DO need real 91+ octane fuel available to run this tune. There's alot of extra timing advance (much of your low-end torque boost). You can do a crank sensor relearn (built into the Procal tool) every few months and that'll keep the ping away, 99% of the time.

You gain a good boost in mpg as well. Mine went up 3-4 mpg on average.

I'll put the Procal up against anybody's 91 octane tune. Comparisons to 93 octane "race" tunes are apples and oranges.

That help?
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Procal does NOT remove the top speed limiter, afaik. It does remove skip shift.
Thanks for the correction!
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Procal does NOT remove the top speed limiter, afaik. It does remove skip shift. It's an awesome street tune, especially for 3.31 cars.

The tune itself in terms of gains is measured using OEM standards of rigour on the measurement. Alot of aftermarket tunes don't do this, to boost their numbers and thus, sales. It also meets oem durability standards.

You DO need real 91+ octane fuel available to run this tune. There's alot of extra timing advance (much of your low-end torque boost). You can do a crank sensor relearn (built into the Procal tool) every few months and that'll keep the ping away, 99% of the time.

I'll put the Procal up against anybody's 91 octane tune. Comparisons to 93 octane "race" tunes are apples and oranges.

That help?
Yea it did ..I read it dose wonders for 331 cars and that's right up my ally a mild tune .......I just let my buddy who builds my motors drive my car he came back was like dam that thing fast ...he's a Chevy guy too .... He has 10.5 732 ci motor cars he races for a living so if he was that excited about my lil pony I know these 5.0 s are nasty lol
Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I called two of my local dealers so I can retain the warranty and they both turned my down, so much for going with a Ford product.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2092 View Post
I called two of my local dealers so I can retain the warranty and they both turned my down, so much for going with a Ford product.
Were they Ford Racing dealers? If not you can find one near you on the ford racing site.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Must not I guess, I did not check the site I just called them up but I will go look right now and see on there site.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

According to there site nothing with in 50 to 100 miles from zip code 70053.

New Orleans FaceBook Mustang Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrleansS550/
rm2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO

That help?
Where did u buy yours and did u install your self
Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2092
Has the same experience, other post is right. They were not FRPP. Found one that was and they had never heard nor could find an order number for Procal. Ordered online, AM has them (figured they sponsor the forum so I'll give em a plug for about 370.

Ordered mine at lunch today, should have it next week. The dealer is going to check with ford to confirm they can install. I'm amped!
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT