Removed hood blanket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Removed hood blanket

Due to the high temps plus high humidity in San Diego lately, along with C&L's high IAT's, I decided to remove the hood blanket. I didn't realize how much heat was being blocked from the hood vents by the blanket. When I put my hand over the vents now, you can really feel the heat escaping. Plus, I can hear the C&L sucking even more now!

I thought it would look worse. There's an area in the middle that needs some paint but I can do that with a rattle can. I've read that others have had theirs off for years with no paint problems, and with the vents, it should help.

I don't drive in the rain much, but if I do, I'll just have to clean the engine bay a little more.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Removed hood blanket

It looks good. I'm not sure, but in the old days if you took off the heat blanket paint on the hood would start to peal and bubble up. I'm sure the automotive paints now a days are much better?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
That's what I was thinking too. I imagine the extractors will disburse a lot more heat now, so maybe he won't have that issue.

The only think I'd say is, keep the blanket just I'm case you run into any problems.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Due to the high temps plus high humidity in San Diego lately, along with C&L's high IAT's, I decided to remove the hood blanket. I didn't realize how much heat was being blocked from the hood vents by the blanket. When I put my hand over the vents now, you can really feel the heat escaping. Plus, I can hear the C&L sucking even more now!

I thought it would look worse. There's an area in the middle that needs some paint but I can do that with a rattle can. I've read that others have had theirs off for years with no paint problems, and with the vents, it should help.

I don't drive in the rain much, but if I do, I'll just have to clean the engine bay a little more.

Have your inlet air temps decreased?
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
+1. Also, how much weight do you think it removed?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
It looks good. I'm not sure, but in the old days if you took off the heat blanket paint on the hood would start to peal and bubble up. I'm sure the automotive paints now a days are much better?
Yeah, I think the new paints hold up much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
That's what I was thinking too. I imagine the extractors will disburse a lot more heat now, so maybe he won't have that issue. The only think I'd say is, keep the blanket just I'm case you run into any problems.
I plan on keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93 View Post
Just got back, 95 deg outside. From my 20 min drive, it appears that the temps are about 8 to 10 deg. less than before, relative to the ambient air temp. They also take longer to rise when stopped and drop more quickly when moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
+1. Also, how much weight do you think it removed?
Probably a couple of pounds.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I've been wanting to remove mine, but I wasn't sure what the ramifications would be. I'm not all that car savvy, all I know is that it's kinda ugly.
lilredgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yeah, if I attend any car shows, I'll throw it back on.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Just got back, 95 deg outside. From my 20 min drive, it appears that the temps are about 8 to 10 deg. less than before, relative to the ambient air temp. They also take longer to rise when stopped and drop more quickly when moving.
I removed mine today and drove back roads for an hour. I saw the same temp decrease. My inlet air temps are only 2 deg over ambient air when moving. When stopped at a light it creeps up much more slowly and drops back down to almost ambient temp much more quickly. Cooler air makes more power. I like it!
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Old 08-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

seems like water will get on your air filter~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
seems like water will get on your air filter~
Actually, the hood blanket catches the water and funnels it down where it dumps directly on the air intake. Without the blanket water will disperse better well in back if the air intake. But, I'm running the stock air box so the water isn't an issue either way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT