To paint or not paint carbon fiber - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
To paint or not paint carbon fiber

As looking at a few dress up item to go under hood with the tvs2300. Wonder if should paint to match car or leave unpainted:

http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_M...tc010-lg71.htm
http://www.trucarbon.net/2010_2012_M...10025-lg87.htm
http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_M...10025-lg96.htm
http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_M...10025-lg46.htm
http://www.trucarbon.net/2010_Up_Mus...10025-lg89.htm

Any other suggestions and/or pics of what you've done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Re: To paint or not paint carbon fiber

cf isn't cf if you paint it, if you want to paint items unless you are adding pieces you might as well paint the items that are already there. I think i told you to look at my garage in another thread so I will suggest it in this one since I have done a lot under the hood of mine. I painted the fuse box cover, got a battery cover and a brake cylinder cover and painted those as well as coil covers and a painted radiator cover. How much of a fan are you of the look of CF? If you are a big fan I would leave it be and you could do a CF on Black look under the hood or whatever color scheme you choose to go with

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
cf isn't cf if you paint it, if you want to paint items unless you are adding pieces you might as well paint the items that are already there. I think i told you to look at my garage in another thread so I will suggest it in this one since I have done a lot under the hood of mine. I painted the fuse box cover, got a battery cover and a brake cylinder cover and painted those as well as coil covers and a painted radiator cover. How much of a fan are you of the look of CF? If you are a big fan I would leave it be and you could do a CF on Black look under the hood or whatever color scheme you choose to go with
Yeah, adding items like the battery and brake cylinder covers. Are their non-cf versions of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yeah on american muscle

Mustang Battery & Master Brake Cylinder Cover Kit (05-13) at AmericanMuscle.com ENG-058-609 - Free Shipping!

here is the link

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! Now with wanting to start taking this car to shows, do judges like painted or the CF? I know a preference but wonder what people's experiences have been.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

good question. I have only been to a couple judged shows and neither one of them were mustang specific so there could be a lot of reasons why they chose for or against me. Anyway the one that goes over the brake cylinder will need some slight modification to get around the throttle body coming off the sc elbow. I drummel worked wonders for me just trimming a little off at a time until it cleared.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
good question. I have only been to a couple judged shows and neither one of them were mustang specific so there could be a lot of reasons why they chose for or against me. Anyway the one that goes over the brake cylinder will need some slight modification to get around the throttle body coming off the sc elbow. I drummel worked wonders for me just trimming a little off at a time until it cleared.
I wondered about that one. Good reason, if I paint, to wait till after install of my tvs2300.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yes i agree with that 100 percent, find a good shop and they will have them painted in a day

Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Man I would NOT pay those prices for such good lite strong part just to paint.I mean you are not picking up any tenths and if you paint or have painted the OEM parts or if it helps find some OEM parts so you can have them painted.I have JLT CAI CF that looks great but I am not overboard huge fan of CF. IN fact if you or anybody wants to buy a JLT CF CAI with the receipt of the brand new filter we can work something.I also have a extra filter to include if somebody gets serious on offer.Yes you will see gains.With the hood up at the shops dyno and fans rushing air you will put down bout 10more wrhp,but with the hood closed you only get 2 maybe 3 over stock box.The do look sweet though. I am focusing on susp. parts ,MGW, 15'' welds so I can take it to the track for the first time out. Car has 9000 miles. Correct me if I am wrong but I figure with very agressive 93-Race tune, Borla catback ,well actually the borla X and cats are pulled and I am using UPR O/R X-pipe.Pretty much full weight too.285/35/19 rear,3.73 gear,JLT catch can. Guys with similar mods??... what wrhp you making.I know we will wee numbers all over just curous what you guys thought it will make.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Dude... That's a ton of money to throw down for those pieces. Yeah; they look great.. But you could seriously invest that in to something way better. Unless your car will be strictly show and you have thousands of dollars burning a hole in your pocket... I'd leave these mods definitely for a "last touch" thing if you run out of things to do.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
Dude... That's a ton of money to throw down for those pieces. Yeah; they look great.. But you could seriously invest that in to something way better. Unless your car will be strictly show and you have thousands of dollars burning a hole in your pocket... I'd leave these mods definitely for a "last touch" thing if you run out of things to do.
Yeah, think you're right. TVS2300 is #1 on my list. Then I'll go from there. Going to hit up shows but also the track. So we'll just start and see what the judges recommend and go from there.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka

Thanks! Now with wanting to start taking this car to shows, do judges like painted or the CF? I know a preference but wonder what people's experiences have been.
Its hard to know what judges like, if they like ur car for whatever reason ur good. I just won the American Muscle 2010-2013 best in class and was stunned when they called my name. With over 1,200 mustangs there and I just have normal bolt ons and I keep it as clean as I can. Your car as is, turns heads and is show worthy. So basically its not how much u put into the car, its whether judges like ur car for whatever reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_122013.png
Views:	149
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	64389  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT