2013 Mustang GT With Borla Atak Catback Making Noises. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
2013 Mustang GT With Borla Atak Catback Making Noises.

I have purchased and installed the complete Borla Atak Catback system on my 2013 Mustang GT and now I am hearing noises I have never heard before. I put about 3000 miles on my vehicle before I had the exhaust installed and I am telling you, I have never heard these noises before.

When the car is fully warmed up, around peak temperature, intermittent metallic squeaking can be heard, mostly on the drivers side, underneath the car. Like I said, it is intermittent and happens whether on a bumpy road or on a flat road. I have taken my vehicle back to the install shop many times already and they can not locate anything that is causing these squeaks.

Now, I am hearing noises that indicate that the exhaust is rattling around and shifting around underneath my vehicle, especially when I press on the accelerator.

I have contacted Borla and they are sending me a warranty driver's side over-axle pipe because if you look at it, there is literally about an inch or less of clearance above the panhard. They stated that that is not correct, so they are sending a new one out.

But, in case that does not fix the issue I thought I would make this thread now so that I could see what you guys have to say about it.

I have checked the exhaust hangers and the rubber mounts that hold those up, and I really do not see them rubbing against the body at all.

I do not know what to do, so I thought I would ask you guys.
helloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: 2013 Mustang GT With Borla Atak Catback Making Noises.

You feel all around close to see if a heat shield is tapping? I had some mild noise until I went to O/R X.I think it was a cat vibe.Doesn't mean it was going bad but annoying
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you've gone through the exhaust system why don't you look around the rest of the car to see if the install guys didn't touch and/or loosen something else. Just an idea. Maybe by moving things around they forgot to tie something else back up properly. Tranny mount, some suspension part....who knows. Had a similar issue with my jeep, when I thought my diff was going to rip off my truck it ended up being some bolt on my back left suspension arm that was loose. In most cases it's something simple. Hope it helps...good luck.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How would I go about checking the heat shield? I do not have access to a car lift, except when I go to a car shop.

I just bought one of those GoPro cameras with the suction mounts and I am going to mount that thing under my vehicle and record what happens when I am driving. I am hoping that I will be able to see the culprit.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You can buy 2 poly type ramps at any parts store and get under it.Do the front.Then back up the ramps to do the back. If you got some good buddy at a dealership or a strong independent shop ask if he has "chassis ears". I sell them on my tool truck but a good set is pricey.You can nail it with them.I have a Borla catback and if you look at the couplings you will see these flanges.If they are like barely not touching or touching you can pick up vibe and noise.Take a decent flathead and bend them away from exhaust some.I would buy the ramps and do all this first. ALSO Tighten Every exhaust part on the catback.Heat and cool constriction on new exhaust could cause some if the clamps are not tight!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

When you say flanges on the coupling, are you talking about the clamps that connect the muffler to the over-axle pipe?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No....Is you borla a catted X ?Anyway,When you get ramps and get under there look at all the joints of where it's put together.The coupling will have a piece on each side that angles out and then "L" shapes kinda back toward the connection.You will see unless something is seriously different.Also at every joint tighten the **** out of it.You got a long handle ratchet? big help!Also check any thing that might not be tight.You will see those flimsy tin looking heat shields I am talking about.Be sure one is not bent down on it or what not. Was there oil in the pipes that got on the ends during install? Keep me posted. If you don't have a damn good long handle ratchet or any tools you need to buy some.I will hook ya up.Lifetime warranty.Where you live?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I will have to look into getting some ramps then. I don't have much work-space as I live at an apartment in Nebraska.

I will take a look as those when I can. Almost everynight I crawl underneath the back since my body can fit almost up past the over-axle pipes where it actually goes over the axle. I can not for the life of me see anything loose. I mean, if you grab the muffler tip and apply some moderate force, you can get it to move the entire pipe a bit to the left and right and up and down, but I assume that is normal since the damn things are connected to RUBBER MOUNTS!?!?

How much more difficult is this going to be if I told the install guys to go ahead and spot weld the muffler to the over-axle pipe where the clamp is? Since I am receiving the driver side over-axle from Borla as a warranty repair, will the repair shop easily be able to remove the spot welded muffler from one pipe and put it on the new pipe?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Not necessarily......you may have something there.Where the muffler clamps to the over pipe that I am not talking about.Tighten those too though.The best place is almost center of car you should have ole say..... 3 to 4 inch long coupling that ties the x to the midsection.So there would be 2. One on each pipe. there may be 2 more just like them back near axle but I don't. Got a good pic of your exhaust with it all layed out?? send it if so.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for responding and trying to help me.

I will get some pictures, or better yet just a video recording of everything that I can get to or reach. I will either upload those photos here or maybe even upload the video to youtube.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

When I first had my Borla S-type catback installed, I developed what sounded like a metallic vibration up by the x-pipe. Took it back to the shop and they put it on the lift and literally walked from end to end of the car, banging a fist along both sides of the exhaust, and the thing was tight as could be ... nothing loose.

Then we checked the clamps connecting the x-pipe to the cats, and while the connection there was tight, the clamps themselves were loose enough that they rattled when the car was running ... check your clamps and make sure everything's torqued to the specs in the instructions included with your exhaust from Borla.

That said, older builds of the Borla catbacks for our cars had a problem with the over-axle pipe not clearing properly, so don't worry too much until you install the new part -- it sounds like Borla zeroed right in on that, and their support is pretty good.
12gtpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I would like to clear this issue now if possible. I, not thinking for the future, had their tech spot weld the clamp that connects the muffler to the over-axle pipe. Since the over-axle pipe has to be removed for the warranty part to go in, will that spot weld be an issue? Is that clamp ruined?

I took some quick pics as I have a lot of work to do today, and I am sorry if they are somewhat blurry, because I only have my phone as a camera for now.

The first pic is the driver side clamp up towards the cat area. The second pic is the driver side mid x-pipe region. The third pic is the passenger side clamp up towards the cat area. The fourth pic is the passenger side mid x-pipe region.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would guess that it's possible that the clamps you had spot-welded may not be able to be reused -- I'd call Borla and ask. If they confirm, see if they can send you a new set of clamps (hey, it's not your fault your kit had a faulty over-axle pipe included, which they're acknowledging by sending you a new one!)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Living in an apartment is not ideal for working on your car. What part of Nebraska do you live in?
Coyote 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Go over everything with a fine toothed comb to see if anything is loose or looks out of place( besides pipe they are sending you). I just learned the hard way to really check your work. Put a Flowmaster cat back on just after X-mas and a couple weeks ago my check engine light came on and it was damn near impossible to fill up with gas. Pump would cut off every 5-10 seconds. Come to find out my pass side over axle pipe melted my gas tank vent hose. Don't know if it is poor design, install error or what but I wish I would have checked closer. Hard to do in a driveway though, plus I was in a hurry to crank it up to hear it
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Borla cat-back systems come with insulating sleeves for the gas return and gas vent tubes that sit above the over-axle pipes to prevent the melting you're talking about.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

The factory line had some insulation material on it but I can tell you from personal experience it only lasts about 7 months if it is touching the pipe. lol. I was just suggesting that he really check his system over good, something might have been overlooked like I did.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the responses guys. My coworker has a set of vehicle ramps that he will let me use at his house. I will be going underneath tomorrow and checking stuff out.

I live in Norfolk, Nebraska.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ARfirefighter did you ever find the noise you were hearing?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote 5
ARfirefighter did you ever find the noise you were hearing?
It was helloWorld that had the noise from his exhaust. I melted my gas tank vent line on mine but I have it fixed now.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARfirefighter View Post
It was helloWorld that had the noise from his exhaust. I melted my gas tank vent line on mine but I have it fixed now.
Sorry about that Arfirefighter. I remembered that you had issues with your exhaust.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I finally got my GoPro running. I decided that I would mount it on the drivers side rear, kind of right behind the rear wheel. I recorded about 34 minutes of nothing but suspension and my drivers side rear over-axle and muffler area. That thing is stiff, it is hardly moving at all. I even raced a motorcycle, I forgot which kind, about half-way through when everything was warmed up, and around 120 mph, that thing is not moving.

I did not hear any squeaks in the actual recording (probably because the exhaust is too loud), but I did hear some whine like something in the body was shifting around. I could not pin point it though from where I had the camera positioned. I think the sort of street racing must have heated something up well because I did not hear any squeaks the entire ride back from the race.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

I'm a bit late to the show here but I put the Borla ATAK Axle backs on my 2012 GT and heard a vibration...found that I didn't tighten one of the bolts that mounts the bracket to the body tight enough so the washer would rattle around.

As someone else suggested, check to be sure everything is tightened, even things not part of the exhaust. Make sure all the parts were fitted properly (for example a clamp that is not sitting evenly).

Best of luck to ya on finding your noise.

2012 GT Premium
Brembo Brakes, 3.73 Rear
Electronics Package w/ Rear Camera
HID Headlamps
Borla ATAK Axle Back Exhaust
robesope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #24

Region: Washington

Sorry to revive this thread, but did you ever figure out the root cause of the noise and eliminate it?

I will tell you right now that what you describe sounds EXACTLY like what I have on my 2013 GT/CS with a Custom muffler delete, and not a Borla catback. This leads me to believe that the mere change in frequency/vibration/amplitude from having a practically open exhaust may be causing something to make noise that isn't necessarily related to the pipe routing. After complaining about my rattle to the exhaust shop that did the custom muffler delete, they concluded that the metal hangers might be rubbing against the outer wall of the rubber isolation mounts.

After bringing it back to them twice, it still makes the noise. Sometimes it sounds like the left pipe is rattling, and sometimes it sounds like the right. I'm really wanting to get this sorted out soon, or else I'll just be putting the stock mufflers back on. Sometimes I hit 2K rpm at about 60mph on the highway and it sounds like I'm driving an old rust -bucket.

Really disappointed about this though, because the muffler delete on a 5.0 actually does sound very good to me. Any help or advice beyond what's already in the thread is much appreciated.
ThomasGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #25

Region: Ohio
Angry Re: 2013 Mustang GT With Borla Atak Catback Making Noises.

helloworld Did you get your problem fix i have a 2011 gt/cs grabber blue stang installed a borla cat back atack system to. and i am having drivers side noise to. after i get the exhaust warmed up it sounds like a vibration sound like its back at the muffler could be metal sound to . i laid in the trunk and its is coming from back at muffler. every thing is tight recheck that and clearance is all good i think its the muffler will be calling borla monday for answers. LOOKING FOR ANSWER JUST A LITTLE U HAPPY WILL POST AFTER CONTACTING BORLA
bones54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It's the two font hangers on the AB.

Mess around with over axle pipe rotation to get most clearance from hanger bracket (vertical and horizontal).

I had horrible rattling/squeaking till I readjusted.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #27

nhcowboy I looked at the muffler hanger front bracket on the inside has got the isolator pulled down and is less then a 1/4 inch from bracket. but this is what gets me it doesn't do it all the time. just when it warms up and giving gas like pulling up a hill or giving more acceleration. will try readjusting muffler though. thxs
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I had a noise problem with my catback system too. It would make a metal sound when I would turn. I bought it back to the shop which they were installed and haven't had a problem since.
Rmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones54
nhcowboy I looked at the muffler hanger front bracket on the inside has got the isolator pulled down and is less then a 1/4 inch from bracket. but this is what gets me it doesn't do it all the time. just when it warms up and giving gas like pulling up a hill or giving more acceleration. will try readjusting muffler though. thxs
Get on the gas a few laps... Then look at it... The exhaust will have expanded and it will be closer/rubbing. As far as possible vertical "clunking", if you can pull up on the exhaust tip without much effort and hear metal clanking , then you need to try lowering the axelback. Goes back to the over axle pipe rotation to make enough clearance.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry guys for being late. Sorry.

I never actually found what the problem was. I however know exactly how I fixed it. To be honest, I have been doing a LOT of street racing, and I believe that the increased heat must have accelerated the process of the pipes getting into their grooves.

I am serious, I have not heard a thing from my exhaust system. I have already put 1000 miles on the car since I first noticed the noises gone. I have since put in a JLT CAI and a Brenspeed 91 Street tune on the car and it runs great, no noise.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
^ I think you meant to say a lot of track racing

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #32

fix my rattle it was muffler hanger did a little bending on brkts cured the problem my next mod is airaid intake and bama tuner. then thinking about boss 302 intake any input about this mod.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang