2013 Reliability & Manual Gearbox - be careful who you listen to... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
2013 Reliability & Manual Gearbox - be careful who you listen to...

I ended up on this site when I did a search on '2013 mustang reliability'. From this thread 'http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t302411/' I found out about alleged #8 piston and 6 Speed MT82 issues.

The #8 issue, although real to some I am sure, was quickly dispelled for me personally. The MT82 was a larger concern. In particular, the idea that Ford would mate their excellent Coyote to an underpowered gearbox - an engine by the way on which they are betting the muscle car and future truck prowness on - just did not make sense. Yet, this is the same company that failed to to enter the 21st century with the IRS debacle to save $100 a car (May that executive get 100 lashes in public).

However statements like this by user Napolean 85 '
This is just my guess, partially based on the fact that I don't feel the MT82 was a good choice, not the least of those reason being that it is rated for less torque than the stock motor (which by all accounts is underrated from Ford in HP and TQ) puts out.
' are complete bull. The 'just my guess' statement relates to a 'percentage of expected failure` statement, but the MT82 power rating is up there with unicorns and pixie dust.

Here is the gearbox in question ... GETRAG Corporate Group - 6MTI500 TRANSMISSION - model # 6MT1500, co-developed with Ford and 3 other manufacturers to keep costs down. It is a light-truck application - like all other things mustang.

Myth #1 - Getrag is a german company, with german engineering. It is made in china, like everything else in the world. It is as much a Chinese gearbox as your ipad and iphone are chinese phones. Be aware of how xenophobic the many pinheads out there are, commenting on 'the chinese gearbox'. It makes me as upset as when I hear a foreigner disparege made in america.

Myth #2 - It is rated for less power than the V8 can produce. Really? European companies dont measure things the same way American companues do, eg. Things are in Metric, and measurements mean different things. Max Torque Capacity of 500nm (from the getrag web site/ horses mouth). This is not the same as peak torque and related to a sustained torque, so dont compare this to the peak torque rating on a TR6060. Peak is reached for less than a second,

The Max Torqye Capacity goes hand in hand with vehicle weight. So 500nm @ 4250Kgs or in AmeriSpeak 369ft/lbs @ 9350lbs of vehicle. Does your Mustang (light truck/SUV) weigh in at 9250lbs?

The MT82 is good for 750ft/lbs on a mustang @ 3800lbs.

Now, if you are having problems with the box, its not the chinese, and not the specifications either. Ford states that it has fixed issues with its '11 6 speed manuals, but I am not aware of any recalls so I think it is a case of fixing when customers complain.

I heard that this was a different oil weight. The thicker oil was an attempt to quieten the unit.

I would go with an oil change to Getrag specifications and the addition of sound dampening on the floor pan. You can buy the materials from ebay at next to nothing.

Sincerely,

The very last gunfigher...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastgunfight3r
I ended up on this site when I did a search on '2013 mustang reliability'. From this thread 'http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t302411/' I found out about alleged #8 piston and 6 Speed MT82 issues.

The #8 issue, although real to some I am sure, was quickly dispelled for me personally. The MT82 was a larger concern. In particular, the idea that Ford would mate their excellent Coyote to an underpowered gearbox - an engine by the way on which they are betting the muscle car and future truck prowness on - just did not make sense. Yet, this is the same company that failed to to enter the 21st century with the IRS debacle to save $100 a car (May that executive get 100 lashes in public).

However statements like this by user Napolean 85 '
This is just my guess, partially based on the fact that I don't feel the MT82 was a good choice, not the least of those reason being that it is rated for less torque than the stock motor (which by all accounts is underrated from Ford in HP and TQ) puts out.
' are complete bull. The 'just my guess' statement relates to a 'percentage of expected failure` statement, but the MT82 power rating is up there with unicorns and pixie dust.

Here is the gearbox in question ... GETRAG Corporate Group - 6MTI500 TRANSMISSION - model # 6MT1500, co-developed with Ford and 3 other manufacturers to keep costs down. It is a light-truck application - like all other things mustang.

Myth #1 - Getrag is a german company, with german engineering. It is made in china, like everything else in the world. It is as much a Chinese gearbox as your ipad and iphone are chinese phones. Be aware of how xenophobic the many pinheads out there are, commenting on 'the chinese gearbox'. It makes me as upset as when I hear a foreigner disparege made in america.

Myth #2 - It is rated for less power than the V8 can produce. Really? European companies dont measure things the same way American companues do, eg. Things are in Metric, and measurements mean different things. Max Torque Capacity of 500nm (from the getrag web site/ horses mouth). This is not the same as peak torque and related to a sustained torque, so dont compare this to the peak torque rating on a TR6060. Peak is reached for less than a second,

The Max Torqye Capacity goes hand in hand with vehicle weight. So 500nm @ 4250Kgs or in AmeriSpeak 369ft/lbs @ 9350lbs of vehicle. Does your Mustang (light truck/SUV) weigh in at 9250lbs?

The MT82 is good for 750ft/lbs on a mustang @ 3800lbs.

Now, if you are having problems with the box, its not the chinese, and not the specifications either. Ford states that it has fixed issues with its '11 6 speed manuals, but I am not aware of any recalls so I think it is a case of fixing when customers complain.

I heard that this was a different oil weight. The thicker oil was an attempt to quieten the unit.

I would go with an oil change to Getrag specifications and the addition of sound dampening on the floor pan. You can buy the materials from ebay at next to nothing.

Sincerely,

The very last gunfigher...
Welcome to the forum (you may get flamed a little on this thread, but you should stick around)! I'm a noob myself, so not sure how flattering my welcome party is.

Thank you for the insight on the transmission. Personally, I never believe it until I read it from something I consider credible.

As for made in china... There are some mothers here in the US that fed their babies formula that was cut with plaster only a couple years ago that might disagree. I also worked with a woman whose dog died from poisons that contaminated the dog food. Don't believe me... Ask google. I think china makes a great, cheap product. As a consumer, I do not want anything associated with china to make it into a durable good that I purchase (this hypocrite is typing this out on an iPad btw). I am not a xenophobe (nope, didn't have to google that one ), I have an opinion and one I feel is supported by experience and/or knowledge.

Lastly, the #8 issue is documented and you can see the jacket does not surround this cylinder. However, if you don't mod out your 5.0, it should not cause problems.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

Region: South Carolina
Re: 2013 Reliability & Manual Gearbox - be careful who you listen to...

I completely understand about Chinese products and the lack of control their goverment has. I am not defending that, and am in agreement in condeming that.

I am however both defending Ford and Mustang in this case. The gearbox is German. The build quality is controlled by a German company and vetted by Ford - an American company.

Calling it a chinese gearbox while blaming that for any ill experiences is like blaming all Americans for the sins of some individual or some american companies greed. Its wrong, you know it, I know I dont have to spell it out for you.

Focussing on the wrong thing I think blocks those that are experiencing issues from getting to a real solution.

What I hope to achieve is to make poster's more aware that others are affected by your social comments. They are made in public and as such must be publically corrected when they are incorrect. The MT82 issue had me seriously doubting my planned purchase of a '13/'14 GT.

And, I am not talking about the Chinese here, I am talking about Ford, prospective buyers and even those that are feeling buyers remorse.

I know I wont reach everyone, but I will reach some, and that may be enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Kind of 2 years late and a dollar short. Old and no one gives a ****. Unless you lost a #8, or #7 due to engine knock
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Much of that is old info as stated above, it has been debated a bazillion times and many of us that have been around even a few months know much of what you said to be true, about the tq rating, about lack of QC on the trannies etc

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

NOTE: Bringing up old news and trying to start a flame war are not a good way to introduce yourself to the forums.
Please refrain from posting in this manner in the future.
If you want to discuss something, do it in an adult manner and be ready for disagreements with good solid proof of your statements.

Thank you,
TH
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT