5.0 Oil question - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: 5.0 Oil question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
The 11-12 "track pack" was the upgraded brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension. The 13 track pack includes all of that PLUS recaros, engine oil cooler, tranny oil cooler, differential cooler and Torsen diff.

11-12 was more of a brake package whereas 13 is more of an upgraded powertrain package for track use
Yes ... Brembo Pack != Track Pack
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I always check mine before I leave the dealer!! First time I did I checked the oil on dip stick, nothing was on it!! I told them and the tech tried to tell me it only took 6 Qts with filter ! I had to show him that it took 8qts plus for filter!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
I always check mine before I leave the dealer!! First time I did I checked the oil on dip stick, nothing was on it!! I told them and the tech tried to tell me it only took 6 Qts with filter ! I had to show him that it took 8qts plus for filter!!
That is a perfect example of why I don't let for touch my car. The fact that they argued with you about there being no oil on the dipstick is mind-blowing.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
I wouldn't let Ford touch my car for a free oil change .. nobody changes the oil but me. I hope you guys at least crawl under the car in the lot to make sure the drain plug is tight (as well as not rounded off) and check the dipstick before driving it. I would also put a mark on the filter to make sure they're changing it too.

I can't imagine they're hiring "highly qualified" technicians to do free oil changes, it's much more likely that these people are so stupid they need help putting their pants on in the morning.
I don't think there's free oil changes... You get the maintenance package to go with your vehicle. For extended warranty to 5 years and that package it cost me an extra 3200 which is well worth it for me.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009
Same here. I've seen a handful of good techs. That's why I do everything myself. I figure if my job trusts me to work on million $ army vehicles I'll do everything I can myself. I've had too many horror stories at dealerships in the past. Usually they tear up more than they fix. IE: new shortblock in my fairly new Ram 3500 qc 4x4 dually. Put maybe 3-4 quarts of oil in it and only found that out after driving it 2k miles...it held 12 quarts. Among other things they did on that truck.
I'm going through that myself. 4th syncro sent on my tranny so they replaced 3rd and 4th gears eth syncros. Now reverse doesn't work and there's a clunking sound in the tranny when it's in neutral idling and tranny is leaking.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
You don't need a lift to change the oil in your car. I do mine by driving the front up on ramps (and my car is lowered).
I'm on Eibach Pros and my rhino ramps aren't cutting it at all... do u have the $200+ race ramps??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2

I'm on Eibach Pros and my rhino ramps aren't cutting it at all... do u have the $200+ race ramps??
Nope, I use a 4x4 that my dad cut a slope into during shop class 40 years ago. Probably cost $0.00
Old 08-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Floor jack + 2 jackstands. That's worked fine for me for years, even on lowered cars.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I am on the Roush springs which I believe are re-branded Eibach Pros ... I bought the race ramps. Expensive, but nice. Rhino's were a no-go.

The first time I changed my oil I was like "Where the hell is the filter?" until I saw the big panel that said "remove to change oil" or something like that. Even had nice little arrows pointing to the screws. What is that piece of plastic for, anyway?
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87

I am on the Roush springs which I believe are re-branded Eibach Pros ... I bought the race ramps. Expensive, but nice. Rhino's were a no-go.

The first time I changed my oil I was like "Where the hell is the filter?" until I saw the big panel that said "remove to change oil" or something like that. Even had nice little arrows pointing to the screws. What is that piece of plastic for, anyway?
$200+ is ridiculous for those... rhino ramps are about the same and are like $30... I can't spend that, I'll mod it b4 I do that !! That plastic sucks, but its there for a reason, I think any self respecting sports car should have a skid plate to protect the engine from dirt, water, and crap... and slightly help aerodynamics
Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

It's mainly for aero.

Yes, Rhino ramps are not too great for lowered cars. Thus floor jack + jackstands. Of course the Rhinos can be used once the car is jacked up....done that a few times.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I have a hard time getting a Jack under... I found another way around it, I turn wheel all the way to the left and drive it up on only one rhino ramp and it did the truck for that moment... but I'm gonna have to mod my ramps, I refuse to pay over $200 for those I saw someone mod theirs with 2x4s bolted in
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a hard time getting a Jack under... I found another way around it, I turn wheel all the way to the left and drive it up on only one rhino ramp and it did the truck for that moment... but I'm gonna have to mod my ramps, I refuse to pay over $200 for those I saw someone mod theirs with 2x4s bolted in
There's a cheapo "racing jack" at harbour freight that is really low. You can get them for $50-60
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I currently have. It's actually a pretty nice jack, especially for the money. Should be plenty low enough to fit.

Harbor Freight FTW!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

The price of the Race Ramps is ridiculous ... but they are light and I can easily hang them on the wall in the garage, and the wife can move them around as she re-arranges everything constantly ...

FWIW I went with 5w-20 Royal Purple for my first oil change. I wanted a true, full Group IV synthetic.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11730

For u guys with rhino ramps... this is what I'm in the process of, I actually hate jacking up my car up anymore than I have to
Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
That's what I currently have. It's actually a pretty nice jack, especially for the money. Should be plenty low enough to fit.

Harbor Freight FTW!
Spring compressor is junk from there though. Blew apart on a compressed spring when my dad and I were trying to change out mine for the eibachs
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11730

For u guys with rhino ramps... this is what I'm in the process of, I actually hate jacking up my car up anymore than I have to
My 07 was lowered and I built something similar to these so I could use my 3 ton floor jack to change my oil. I used 2 x 10's and cut one 20" long and another piece 16" long and glued and screwed them. Worked nice to get more room under car for jack but I never tried them with ramps.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Spring compressor is junk from there though. Blew apart on a compressed spring when my dad and I were trying to change out mine for the eibachs
Ouch. I use spring compressors so rarely, it makes more sense to borrow from AutoZone/PepBoys/etc. With HF tools, you go in assuming it's disposable junk--then you get pleasantly surprised when the tool actually turns out to be decent & somewhat durable. Also, keep in mind the running joke from the GRM boards: everything from HF eventually gets used as a hammer. So now you have another hammer...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ouch. I use spring compressors so rarely, it makes more sense to borrow from AutoZone/PepBoys/etc. With HF tools, you go in assuming it's disposable junk--then you get pleasantly surprised when the tool actually turns out to be decent & somewhat durable. Also, keep in mind the running joke from the GRM boards: everything from HF eventually gets used as a hammer. So now you have another hammer...
Funny thing is my mechanic only charged me $40 to swap springs on the front struts (took the strut assy and new springs to him). That's only slightly more than what the compressor cost to buy, and $20 less than it cost to rent one.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

You should be able to "rent" the tool from one of the big parts chains for free. You put a deposit for the price of the tool, which is returned after you return the tool. They do this for a bunch of the expensive, specialized tools that are used infrequently like spring compressors, gear pullers, etc.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should be able to "rent" the tool from one of the big parts chains for free. You put a deposit for the price of the tool, which is returned after you return the tool. They do this for a bunch of the expensive, specialized tools that are used infrequently like spring compressors, gear pullers, etc.
It's free, but they put a $65 hold on your card for about 10 days. You technically get it back, but it's a bigger pain in the *** than my mechanic who does this kind of stuff cheap and is a mile away. I know that not everyone is that fortunate, but they do it in seconds, versus wasting an hour or more of my life driving to and dealing with the big box stores.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just changed out my break-in oil today at 4100 miles to RP 5-30 with the K&N filter. 9.75 a Qt at autozone. Almost forgot how simple it was to change. I drive the hell out of my car hence why i decide to go with 5-30 rather than the recommended 20.
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Doing the oil changes yourself, will that cause a warrenty issue done the road if you have one...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross
Doing the oil changes yourself, will that cause a warrenty issue done the road if you have one...
My dealer told me no, as long as u use the right oil and filter.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross
My dealer told me to save my receipts for documentation, just in case.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Thanks for the laugh Napoleon85, sad but true.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT