5.0 Oil question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
5.0 Oil question

For the last 15 years I have run nothing but Mobil one on all my cars. These included 2 jeeps 160K V8 Grand Cherokee and V6 Liberty a nissan murano, a 2010 v6 Mustang, a 160K nissan sentra and a Kia Koupe.

The result? No oil leaks whatsoever, no breakdowns, no oil loss at all between changes, no perceptable wear on any engine component bathed in the oil.

I have no experience yet with the 5.0. What oil are you guys running? Are there warranty issues if we change the oil?

I heard that Ford was getting really ornery about the warranty. Now I know that this is the type of statement that attracts a lot of hear-say, fear-based commentary. Please be prepared to back your comments with facts, and please do not tell me about your uncles farthers couzins friend who knows someone that told him in a bar once that Ford was looking for reasons to ding customers on warranty - even if they only changed the oil from whatever was prescribed. Facts. Please.

I would love to hear your experience about the Oil, including possible oil consumption 1st hand experiences.
Lastgunfight3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: 5.0 Oil question

I took my '13 GT to the local Ford dealer and had the oil changed at 1400 miles... had them put Mobil 1 in it with no problem. They said nothing about voiding my warranty or anything.

I can't say anything about consumption or any of that since it's only been 4 days.
lilredgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It is law that a manufacturer cannot void warranty for not using "their" part as long as the part meets or exceeds OEM standard

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking.. as long as you use the right weight and all that, they can't mess with it.
lilredgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
It is law that a manufacturer cannot void warranty for not using "their" part as long as the part meets or exceeds OEM standard
This. Most of us are not running motorcraft oil, instead using a high quality true synthetic such as amsoil, rp or redline. Even Mobil1 is a vast improvement over the motorcraft oils, despite not being a true synthetic.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Watch the oil consumption over the first several 1000 miles. They tend to burn some off. Also remember that the dipstick on these car only measures the top 2 qts.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Watch the oil consumption over the first several 1000 miles. They tend to burn some off. Also remember that the dipstick on these car only measures the top 2 qts.
A great suggestion. An oil separator isn't a bad idea either, cheap insurance for $100.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I switched from Motorcraft oil to Mobil 1. I thought it might cut down on the oil consumption. I still use a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Im told these motors are built very loose so the oil consumption is inevitable. Regardless....I would switch to a full synthetic oil after the break-in period.
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

oil sep is a GREAT item and cheap way to keep oil out of the intake (well mostly)

I use mobile 1, but Royal Puple or Amsoil are also GREAT choices in oil.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus
I switched from Motorcraft oil to Mobil 1. I thought it might cut down on the oil consumption. I still use a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Im told these motors are built very loose so the oil consumption is inevitable. Regardless....I would switch to a full synthetic oil after the break-in period.
I put in AMSOil signature series 5w30 at 5k miles, almost at 10k now and haven't consumed a drop even without a separator. I honestly never checked before that though (it was before the whole omg the sky is falling your car is burning oil thing) so its possible I'm one of the lucky few who has a coyote that doesn't eat oil for breakfast.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I put in AMSOil signature series 5w30 at 5k miles, almost at 10k now and haven't consumed a drop even without a separator. I honestly never checked before that though (it was before the whole omg the sky is falling your car is burning oil thing) so its possible I'm one of the lucky few who has a coyote that doesn't eat oil for breakfast.
30? Recommended is 5w-20. Any reason for the change and are you endangering your warranty?
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Nah, 5w30 is fine, no danger to warranty either, I've heard people report less blow by as well as less burning oil. Dealer says 5w30 is fine. 5w20 is used in large part due to fuel economy regulations and over a huge fleet of cars over many years the less viscous oil will show higher average mpgs

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've heard some guys reporting that they have I use 5W50 in the track pack versions. Does anyone know this for sure?
Nichg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

That's true

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichg
I've heard some guys reporting that they have I use 5W50 in the track pack versions. Does anyone know this for sure?
Why is that
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

More viscous oil, better lubrication under higher engine temps while vehicle is on track operating at high rpms

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

On an oil and filter change, how many quarts will bring up to the full mark?
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
My 2011 holds 8 quarts at oil and filter change. Had to google it on my first oil change after I bought 6 quarts and still had nothing on dip stick.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Track pack vehicle or bosses (vehicle with oil coolers) will require 8.5 qts, the oil cooler uses an extra half qt over base GT

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Track pack vehicle or bosses (vehicle with oil coolers) will require 8.5 qts, the oil cooler uses an extra half qt over base GT
I wanna add the oil cooler to my base gt. The more oil the better.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

30? Recommended is 5w-20. Any reason for the change and are you endangering your warranty?
Trust me, my warranty is already in a fair abound of danger. The last thing in worried about is getting in trouble for using better oil. It's been hotly debated, but my belief is that you lose a bit of fuel economy and perhaps a smidgeon of power, at the cost of your engine being much better protected.

If I was constantly tracking the car, it would have 5w50 in it, but it's mostly street use for now.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I asked my dealer about royal purple. They told md that they would put it in, but I weould have to pay for it!! So I'm sticking to Mobil 1 synthetic , since I don't have to pay for my oil changes!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #23

Region: South Carolina

Gentlemen, thank you - I learned a lot here.

I have looked into M1 not being a true synthetic, and although I am not entirely sure what the facts are I will continue to use the product for the time being. I may change my mind when my 5.0 arrives.

I am definitely putting in catchers, and monitoring the oil.
Lastgunfight3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Dealer said they refuse to put anything other than 5w-20.... D-bags. They will put in RP for me though
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
This. Most of us are not running motorcraft oil, instead using a high quality true synthetic such as amsoil, rp or redline. Even Mobil1 is a vast improvement over the motorcraft oils, despite not being a true synthetic.
I acually had some problems with the amsoil,,in my ranger,,i had leaking issues and excessive ticking,,so i went to mobile one synthetic..thats was 20 years ago so maybe its better,,or maybe the 90 ranger was really equiped for the synthetic,,seals etc...I got 320000 on it and still drive it

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Trust me, my warranty is already in a fair abound of danger. The last thing in worried about is getting in trouble for using better oil. It's been hotly debated, but my belief is that you lose a bit of fuel economy and perhaps a smidgeon of power, at the cost of your engine being much better protected.

If I was constantly tracking the car, it would have 5w50 in it, but it's mostly street use for now.
I heard 0w40 was the best option,,that was by a mercedees engineer suggestion
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichg
Yes I use full synthetic motor craft 5w50 and in order to make sure I don't void warranty I HAVE to use that weight
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Darkside

Yes I use full synthetic motor craft 5w50 and in order to make sure I don't void warranty I HAVE to use that weight
Not sure I follow here. I have the track pack, but still stuck with 5w-20 if I go thru the dealer. Am I, are they, missing something here where you had it required? This is a 5.0 track pack, correct?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Your oil cap should tell you what you need. Mine has 5w50 on it and that is what the dealer would only put in. My oil changes are all paid for so I change when needed.
"The true test of a leader is whether his followers will adhere to his cause from their own volition, enduring the most arduous hardships without being forced to do so, and remaining steadfast in the moments of greatest peril."

Xenophon
maltesefalcon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't let Ford touch my car for a free oil change .. nobody changes the oil but me. I hope you guys at least crawl under the car in the lot to make sure the drain plug is tight (as well as not rounded off) and check the dipstick before driving it. I would also put a mark on the filter to make sure they're changing it too.

I can't imagine they're hiring "highly qualified" technicians to do free oil changes, it's much more likely that these people are so stupid they need help putting their pants on in the morning.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Same here. I've seen a handful of good techs. That's why I do everything myself. I figure if my job trusts me to work on million $ army vehicles I'll do everything I can myself. I've had too many horror stories at dealerships in the past. Usually they tear up more than they fix. IE: new shortblock in my fairly new Ram 3500 qc 4x4 dually. Put maybe 3-4 quarts of oil in it and only found that out after driving it 2k miles...it held 12 quarts. Among other things they did on that truck.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon19
Your oil cap should tell you what you need. Mine has 5w50 on it and that is what the dealer would only put in. My oil changes are all paid for so I change when needed.
This supports posts after its as well. I called my dealer, told him EXACTLY what I had and that I wanted to use a different viscosity. He told me they refused to put anything other than 20 in the car. Cap, as you said, says 50. This is a joke. I don't have the lift to do a change myself, but who would I bring it to if the dealer doesn't even know this?!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

This supports posts after its as well. I called my dealer, told him EXACTLY what I had and that I wanted to use a different viscosity. He told me they refused to put anything other than 20 in the car. Cap, as you said, says 50. This is a joke. I don't have the lift to do a change myself, but who would I bring it to if the dealer doesn't even know this?!
Either your dealer is trying to cover itself or really doesn't know jack... The ONLY difference in the motor of the TP vs non TP cars is the oil cooler. Only reason 5w50 is recommended is for track purposes. Theoretically you could use anything in between also. 5w30 will cause zero issues UNLESS you track your cars

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

Not sure I follow here. I have the track pack, but still stuck with 5w-20 if I go thru the dealer. Am I, are they, missing something here where you had it required? This is a 5.0 track pack, correct?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 11-12 Brembo "Track Pack" cars come with 5w-20. The 13 Track Pack cars come with 5w-50 because they have a oil cooler
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You don't need a lift to change the oil in your car. I do mine by driving the front up on ramps (and my car is lowered).
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 11-12 Brembo "Track Pack" cars come with 5w-20. The 13 Track Pack cars come with 5w-50 because they have a oil cooler
The 11-12 "track pack" was the upgraded brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension. The 13 track pack includes all of that PLUS recaros, engine oil cooler, tranny oil cooler, differential cooler and Torsen diff.

11-12 was more of a brake package whereas 13 is more of an upgraded powertrain package for track use

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT