MT82 Tranny in 2013 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Older muscle cars like the stangs, camaros and vettes ran trannys with external shift linkage. Look at the old Borg Warner T10 they used to run. External linkage or internal is still linkage. The shifter mount itself and it's connection to the linkage is where the play is. Get a Barton shifter that replaces the shifter box, bushings and rear bracket and it tightens up. No more missed shifts under aggressive shifting. The shifter was designed by ford the way it was for cost, noise transmission to the cabin and is good for the average driver who isn't railing on it. It's a compromised design. If they made it tight with stiffer bushings they would get cabin noise issues. I don't really notice extra noise from my Barton but I did install the extra sound deadening padding. I also have roush axle backs with a boss mani and steeda CAI. I here them over any noise through the tranny. On a stock motor and exhaust setup I probably would here the tranny noise. I have almost 36000 miles on my 2011 which was built in June 2010. No tranny issues since I have had it except for the sloppy shifter which I corrected.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
Older muscle cars like the stangs, camaros and vettes ran trannys with external shift linkage. Look at the old Borg Warner T10 they used to run. External linkage or internal is still linkage. The shifter mount itself and it's connection to the linkage is where the play is.
Right, but they had frames to keep things from twisting so much. Ever look under a s197? There is nothing connecting the front and rear...

I've also never missed a shift, but I've been locked out quite a few times.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: MT82 Tranny in 2013

Stangs, Camaros, since day one, are unit-body cars, just like the S197. the only "frame" there is the partial sub frame holding the engine up on Camaros until 1980 and that is held to the unit body by a measly 4 body bolts with rubber bushes in between. The Corvette has a body-on-frame design but that's because its fibreglass and if you used the body as a stressed member it'd crack like an egg...which it does over time anyway.

Those old cars were flexy-fliers in the extreme in stock form. I was there, I drove them all. The S197 is like a tube-chassis race car by comparison for chassis rigidity. There's nothing wrong with a monocoque design that prevents it from being properly stiff and solid. You can look at the monocoque on DTM cars, F1 cars or most endurance series stuff. The body's the "frame" and it is all good. Is there improvement in chassis rigidity in the S197, sure but, in no way, shape or form is it anywhere near as catastrophically bad as those old cars.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #39

Region: Florida
Re: MT82 Tranny in 2013

My '13 GT 'vert didn't have any of the clashing gear issues described in all the forums, but the shifter was imprecise. I got an MGW shifter, and it changed the entire drivability And feel of the car. The shifts are positive and exact, and all the iffiness and slowness with the gears engaging is gone. I can't recommend it enough. I wonder how many of these problems all over the forums can be solved by changing out the shifter.
Cdz12250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdz12250
My '13 GT 'vert didn't have any of the clashing gear issues described in all the forums, but the shifter was imprecise. I got an MGW shifter, and it changed the entire drivability And feel of the car. The shifts are positive and exact, and all the iffiness and slowness with the gears engaging is gone. I can't recommend it enough. I wonder how many of these problems all over the forums can be solved by changing out the shifter.
I am sold. Just buying time with the wife. Got to pace these upgrades! Lol
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Just finished installing my MGW shifter, drives great and is also very quiet and hits each gear the same even when shifting at high rpm.....just love it, and highly recommend this shifter.
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #42

30,000 miles on the GT, 27,000 with the MGW shifter. Both going strong and trouble free.
Cdz12250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:33 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Went to the track earlier this year, I wasn't able to shift to 4th and 5th at high RPM's. Might be just my car.
motu365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

go for mgw race spec shifter once you buy the car and you will be fine
white5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
21K on my '13 GT and the transmission is working fine. I upgraded to an MGW shifter with Blowfish bracket and changed the fluid to Red Line MTL. It's still a little notchy on the 1-> 2 shift but smooth as butter everywhere else.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #46
Supporter

Region: Texas
Can't wait to get mine installed.... I had to park my car yesterday because I got so frustrated with the stock setup...
Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I get locked out of shifts from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th but the Barton 2 post bracket and trans insert will fix that

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT