Simple question (hopefully) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Simple question (hopefully)

I ordered and received the Steeda billet pedal covers (look awesome, BTW). The instructions are a little off (I think) in that they say to remove the rubber pedal covers.

I have the aluminum / rubber covers (that I find kind of slippery when wet). How do these some off? I can't identify any sort of set screw or anything ... I found one reference that said you have to destroy them to get them off as they are on with adhesive?

Anyone have any idea? I'd hate to destroy them if someone could re-use them.

Thanks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Simple question (hopefully)

If it's indeed adhesive I would use a heat gun and work them off
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

in my 03 the brake and clutch are covers and pull off (but are a nightmare to remove....) for the brake its a solid peice, you have to remove it and install a new one~ so I wouldnt drill into it. Buy a junk yard regular black one and then swap it over. Not easy but can be done.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Found this:

Racing Pedals Installation | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

Going to try it tomorrow. Looks pretty simple and straightforward. I couldn't find a screw the first time I looked, but I'll look again tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They truly are on with just adhesive. I used a forked tool to help pry them.

The fun part is drilling the holes for the new ones. The roush ones were brutal... Laying awkwardly trying to use a dull bit (probably not not designed for steel).

Still was worth it. Put up pics when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1400481176.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	65451  

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

OK, gas pedal comes off with allen screw from back.

Everything went to hell after that point.

The gas pedal cover came with self-tapping screws and through-bolts. You can't use the bolts as the outside holes in the cover are too close to the edge ... and the inside holes are in front of the pedal level itself, too thick to drill through with the supplied screws (and probably not a good idea anyway). So I installed with the four self-tapping screws into the plastic.

The brake and clutch seem impossible ... (EDIT: OK, not impossible, just a PITA) again the position of the holes is so close to the edge the hole would open up at the edge. Move it up more (the pedal is tapered, wider at top) and the brake / clutch pedal and welds are in the way and no way to fit a nut behind it.

This sucks as you have to bend the old covers all to hell to get them off ... so if I put it back on it would look like crap.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Amazing what a beer and lipstick will do ... beer to make my knees hurt less and my wife came up with the great idea to mark the holes with lipstick ... worked perfectly!

I was then able to hit the marks with a punch and drill the holes for the brake pedal. Damn, it's close to the edge of the metal.

Because the underlying pedal it curved, the screws don't countersink 100% however ... but it's not a big deal.

Clutch next.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Clutch was easy ... the contour of the brake pedal and the position of the brake lever itself in relation to the pedal made if very difficult to find a spot where the holes would work ... the clutch had no such issues.

Another mod done!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT