Anyone have a water leak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Anyone have a water leak?

I'm getting water dripping on my feet (driver's side) in my '11 GT. Rain doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't know if the AC makes a difference because I would die without it on. It definitely occurs more often when I'm taking a curve at a higher speed.

It was dripping only a few drops about twice a week. I took it to the dealer, they call me a few hours later with the "we could not recreate the problem" BS.

Well then it started dripping a lot more water each time. Still happening about twice a week. I took it to a different dealership and they're actually making an effort to find out what the problem is. They said the tech "drove it pretty hard and took some fast turns," haha... But can't get it to leak. They've also left it idling for a while, no leak. They've had it for a day and a half now (I told them to take their time because I have another car).

They've put in a call to Ford to see if any other Mustangs are having the same problem. Not sure what Ford's response was, but have any of you guys experienced this?
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Hasn't happened to me with my 2011 but it did happen before with mo 01 and my 07. Seemed like it did it more on extended drives with AC on and very humid days. Makes me think that duct work is just sweating and when you take a sharp curve a drop or two just rolls off and hits your leg. Next time you notice it take a look under the dash and see if you can see the duct work sweating. Just a thought.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4
I'm getting water dripping on my feet (driver's side) in my '11 GT. Rain doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't know if the AC makes a difference because I would die without it on. It definitely occurs more often when I'm taking a curve at a higher speed.

It was dripping only a few drops about twice a week. I took it to the dealer, they call me a few hours later with the "we could not recreate the problem" BS.

Well then it started dripping a lot more water each time. Still happening about twice a week. I took it to a different dealership and they're actually making an effort to find out what the problem is. They said the tech "drove it pretty hard and took some fast turns," haha... But can't get it to leak. They've also left it idling for a while, no leak. They've had it for a day and a half now (I told them to take their time because I have another car).

They've put in a call to Ford to see if any other Mustangs are having the same problem. Not sure what Ford's response was, but have any of you guys experienced this?
No but my 04 gt used to do this on the passenger side.. Used to always freak everyone out that rode w me when it dripped on their feet lol.. On an hour long drive or so it would prolly happen 2-3 times just one lil drip.. And was worse when hotter obviously...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Anyone have a water leak?

The AC condenser under the dash will "sweat" during operation, especially on hot humid days. There is a drain, usually located on the passenger's side that drains off the excess moisture. It may be plugged up or disconnected. The water should not be coming out on the driver's side. If it is, then there must be a goodly quantity of water in the AC/Heater ducting. Check the drain and ensure it is in place and clear of any obstructions.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! I'm sure they must have checked that but I'll mention it to them
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I've had other cars do this. It was always a clogged ac drain line. Have them blow it out with air and make sure it isn't kinked up.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93
I've had other cars do this. It was always a clogged ac drain line. Have them blow it out with air and make sure it isn't kinked up.
Thanks!

It's been 48 hours now and I really miss him
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:

Thanks!

It's been 48 hours now and I really miss him
Well good luck, hopefully you get him back soon

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4 View Post
Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.

I'd try to minimize it happening as much as possible. The constant wetting will eventually lead to mold formation, possible health issues and nasty smells from your AC and heater vents.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I'd try to minimize it happening as much as possible. The constant wetting will eventually lead to mold formation, possible health issues and nasty smells from your AC and heater vents.
I will, thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:

I thought I was the only one that liked to drive with the AC on and the windows down. I guess I have this to look forward to.
Robsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsgam

I thought I was the only one that liked to drive with the AC on and the windows down. I guess I have this to look forward to.
Haha, where in FL are you?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:

Haha, where in FL are you?
I am in Hollywood. I am surrounded by tourists, foreign nationals, and the elderly. I am more worried about the salt air than I am about a little condensation. What about you?
Robsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsgam

I am in Hollywood. I am surrounded by tourists, foreign nationals, and the elderly. I am more worried about the salt air than I am about a little condensation. What about you?
Hahaha. I'm in Tampa.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:

That happened to me once ,,my ex turned her vent off because of the cold air,,the duct condensated and drip water in the radio and in the middle of the floor,,the radio died but was ok after it dried out..And the ford guys right about keepin the windows down and the a/c on

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I have a smell in mine that i cant get out,,it smells like bo,,it was there when i purchase the car,,i tried alot of things but i can still smell it just when you turn it on,,then it goes away
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well glad they came up with an explanation and did it in a somewhat speedy fashion. You got him back. Time for the track again

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

Well glad they came up with an explanation and did it in a somewhat speedy fashion. You got him back. Time for the track again
I couldn't get anybody to help me pick him up and they closed 6 minutes ago ((

I have to get him and stick him in my garage before the hurricane comes! D:
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I couldn't get anybody to help me pick him up and they closed 6 minutes ago ((

I have to get him and stick him in my garage before the hurricane comes! D:
Ahhhhhh no r u kidding me. I'm sorry to hear that. How far away is the hurricane

Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's supposed to arrive on Monday, just in time for the RNC. Since the dealer is closed Sunday I have to get him tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's supposed to arrive on Monday, just in time for the RNC. Since the dealer is closed Sunday I have to get him tomorrow.
Can someone take you tomorrow? I have this same problem when I get work done to my car.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Can someone take you tomorrow? I have this same problem when I get work done to my car.
It's Saturday, somebody better have free time to drive me!!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's Saturday, somebody better have free time to drive me!!
I'd take you if I didn't live in AR lol
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I agree or I'd be freaking out. Hopefully they all don't ha e to work tomorrow like me. I got a 484 dollar ding today that has to get fixed Monday and I only wonder who I am going to get to drive me out there

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I'd take you if I didn't live in AR lol
Haha aww, come on!!!

Quote:
Yes I agree or I'd be freaking out. Hopefully they all don't ha e to work tomorrow like me. I got a 484 dollar ding today that has to get fixed Monday and I only wonder who I am going to get to drive me out there
Car dealerships/body shops should have shuttles haha. Some here actually do but they won't take you home, only to certain places
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha aww, come on!!!

Car dealerships/body shops should have shuttles haha. Some here actually do but they won't take you home, only to certain places
That's like a 22-23 hour drive lol.. I better get started! Haha...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

That's like a 22-23 hour drive lol.. I better get started! Haha...
They'll be closed by then and the hurricane will have won... :'(
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha aww, come on!!!

Yeah the place I go to us a mom n pop shop but they don't shuttle anyone around. Request the dealer pick you up. You don't even want to fathom how far I'd have to drive to pick u up lol

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Thanks guys! I'm sure they must have checked that but I'll mention it to them
If they want to drive it again maybe set the AC controls where YOU normally keep it. Maybe those guys had it set a little differently and it did not condense as much.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

He's going the distance, he's going for speed, all alone!!! Yeah 2 and a half days. Did this for humor purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2524675548.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	65421  

Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

If they want to drive it again maybe set the AC controls where YOU normally keep it. Maybe those guys had it set a little differently and it did not condense as much.
Sorry haha I should have read through the entire thread. I'm glad they figured it out. Also, hope they come up with a solution soon.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He's going the distance, he's going for speed, all alone!!! Yeah 2 and a half days. Did this for humor purposes
Haha, you would get here after the hurricane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Sorry haha I should have read through the entire thread. I'm glad they figured it out. Also, hope they come up with a solution soon.
Thanks For now, it's going to be a black towel under my pedals and no driving in shoes I don't want to get wet!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks For now, it's going to be a black towel under my pedals and no driving in shoes I don't want to get wet!
You could get some weathertech floor liners.. I have some just to save the carpet and they are pretty nice looking I think.. They're kinda pricey but my carpet is spotless underneath.. I got them for the rear also..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well that would be good for my car not good for yours

Recommend flip flops, floridians average a dozen of those in their closet

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT