Anyone have a water leak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Anyone have a water leak?

I'm getting water dripping on my feet (driver's side) in my '11 GT. Rain doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't know if the AC makes a difference because I would die without it on. It definitely occurs more often when I'm taking a curve at a higher speed.

It was dripping only a few drops about twice a week. I took it to the dealer, they call me a few hours later with the "we could not recreate the problem" BS.

Well then it started dripping a lot more water each time. Still happening about twice a week. I took it to a different dealership and they're actually making an effort to find out what the problem is. They said the tech "drove it pretty hard and took some fast turns," haha... But can't get it to leak. They've also left it idling for a while, no leak. They've had it for a day and a half now (I told them to take their time because I have another car).

They've put in a call to Ford to see if any other Mustangs are having the same problem. Not sure what Ford's response was, but have any of you guys experienced this?
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
ARfirefighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 143
Hasn't happened to me with my 2011 but it did happen before with mo 01 and my 07. Seemed like it did it more on extended drives with AC on and very humid days. Makes me think that duct work is just sweating and when you take a sharp curve a drop or two just rolls off and hits your leg. Next time you notice it take a look under the dash and see if you can see the duct work sweating. Just a thought.
ARfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4
I'm getting water dripping on my feet (driver's side) in my '11 GT. Rain doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't know if the AC makes a difference because I would die without it on. It definitely occurs more often when I'm taking a curve at a higher speed.

It was dripping only a few drops about twice a week. I took it to the dealer, they call me a few hours later with the "we could not recreate the problem" BS.

Well then it started dripping a lot more water each time. Still happening about twice a week. I took it to a different dealership and they're actually making an effort to find out what the problem is. They said the tech "drove it pretty hard and took some fast turns," haha... But can't get it to leak. They've also left it idling for a while, no leak. They've had it for a day and a half now (I told them to take their time because I have another car).

They've put in a call to Ford to see if any other Mustangs are having the same problem. Not sure what Ford's response was, but have any of you guys experienced this?
No but my 04 gt used to do this on the passenger side.. Used to always freak everyone out that rode w me when it dripped on their feet lol.. On an hour long drive or so it would prolly happen 2-3 times just one lil drip.. And was worse when hotter obviously...
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Anyone have a water leak?

The AC condenser under the dash will "sweat" during operation, especially on hot humid days. There is a drain, usually located on the passenger's side that drains off the excess moisture. It may be plugged up or disconnected. The water should not be coming out on the driver's side. If it is, then there must be a goodly quantity of water in the AC/Heater ducting. Check the drain and ensure it is in place and clear of any obstructions.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Thanks guys! I'm sure they must have checked that but I'll mention it to them
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jetag93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 382
Re: Anyone have a water leak?

I've had other cars do this. It was always a clogged ac drain line. Have them blow it out with air and make sure it isn't kinked up.
__________________
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93
I've had other cars do this. It was always a clogged ac drain line. Have them blow it out with air and make sure it isn't kinked up.
Thanks!

It's been 48 hours now and I really miss him
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Thanks!

It's been 48 hours now and I really miss him
Well good luck, hopefully you get him back soon
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Thanks
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Anyone have a water leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4 View Post
Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.

I'd try to minimize it happening as much as possible. The constant wetting will eventually lead to mold formation, possible health issues and nasty smells from your AC and heater vents.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I'd try to minimize it happening as much as possible. The constant wetting will eventually lead to mold formation, possible health issues and nasty smells from your AC and heater vents.
I will, thanks!
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4
Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.
I thought I was the only one that liked to drive with the AC on and the windows down. I guess I have this to look forward to.
Robsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsgam

I thought I was the only one that liked to drive with the AC on and the windows down. I guess I have this to look forward to.
Haha, where in FL are you?
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Haha, where in FL are you?
I am in Hollywood. I am surrounded by tourists, foreign nationals, and the elderly. I am more worried about the salt air than I am about a little condensation. What about you?
Robsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsgam

I am in Hollywood. I am surrounded by tourists, foreign nationals, and the elderly. I am more worried about the salt air than I am about a little condensation. What about you?
Hahaha. I'm in Tampa.
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
Re: Anyone have a water leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4 View Post
Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.
That happened to me once ,,my ex turned her vent off because of the cold air,,the duct condensated and drip water in the radio and in the middle of the floor,,the radio died but was ok after it dried out..And the ford guys right about keepin the windows down and the a/c on

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I'd try to minimize it happening as much as possible. The constant wetting will eventually lead to mold formation, possible health issues and nasty smells from your AC and heater vents.
I have a smell in mine that i cant get out,,it smells like bo,,it was there when i purchase the car,,i tried alot of things but i can still smell it just when you turn it on,,then it goes away
__________________
mymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4
Update... Ford told the tech that this is an issue with these cars. The evaporator condensates too much and leaks even though there is no blockage. He asked me if I drive with the AC on and the windows down... Well yeah, 100% of the time So I guess I just have to deal with it. Going to pick him up now

I'm impressed with this dealership, they really took the initiative and tried to find out what was wrong.
Well glad they came up with an explanation and did it in a somewhat speedy fashion. You got him back. Time for the track again
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

Well glad they came up with an explanation and did it in a somewhat speedy fashion. You got him back. Time for the track again
I couldn't get anybody to help me pick him up and they closed 6 minutes ago ((

I have to get him and stick him in my garage before the hurricane comes! D:
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

I couldn't get anybody to help me pick him up and they closed 6 minutes ago ((

I have to get him and stick him in my garage before the hurricane comes! D:
Ahhhhhh no r u kidding me. I'm sorry to hear that. How far away is the hurricane
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
It's supposed to arrive on Monday, just in time for the RNC. Since the dealer is closed Sunday I have to get him tomorrow.
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4
It's supposed to arrive on Monday, just in time for the RNC. Since the dealer is closed Sunday I have to get him tomorrow.
Can someone take you tomorrow? I have this same problem when I get work done to my car.
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

Can someone take you tomorrow? I have this same problem when I get work done to my car.
It's Saturday, somebody better have free time to drive me!!
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

It's Saturday, somebody better have free time to drive me!!
I'd take you if I didn't live in AR lol
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Yes I agree or I'd be freaking out. Hopefully they all don't ha e to work tomorrow like me. I got a 484 dollar ding today that has to get fixed Monday and I only wonder who I am going to get to drive me out there
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

I'd take you if I didn't live in AR lol
Haha aww, come on!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Yes I agree or I'd be freaking out. Hopefully they all don't ha e to work tomorrow like me. I got a 484 dollar ding today that has to get fixed Monday and I only wonder who I am going to get to drive me out there
Car dealerships/body shops should have shuttles haha. Some here actually do but they won't take you home, only to certain places
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Haha aww, come on!!!

Car dealerships/body shops should have shuttles haha. Some here actually do but they won't take you home, only to certain places
That's like a 22-23 hour drive lol.. I better get started! Haha...
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT

That's like a 22-23 hour drive lol.. I better get started! Haha...
They'll be closed by then and the hurricane will have won... :'(
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Haha aww, come on!!!

Car dealerships/body shops should have shuttles haha. Some here actually do but they won't take you home, only to certain places
Yeah the place I go to us a mom n pop shop but they don't shuttle anyone around. Request the dealer pick you up. You don't even want to fathom how far I'd have to drive to pick u up lol
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4 View Post
Thanks guys! I'm sure they must have checked that but I'll mention it to them
If they want to drive it again maybe set the AC controls where YOU normally keep it. Maybe those guys had it set a little differently and it did not condense as much.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
He's going the distance, he's going for speed, all alone!!! Yeah 2 and a half days. Did this for humor purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2524675548.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	65421  
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #32
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

If they want to drive it again maybe set the AC controls where YOU normally keep it. Maybe those guys had it set a little differently and it did not condense as much.
Sorry haha I should have read through the entire thread. I'm glad they figured it out. Also, hope they come up with a solution soon.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
He's going the distance, he's going for speed, all alone!!! Yeah 2 and a half days. Did this for humor purposes
Haha, you would get here after the hurricane!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Sorry haha I should have read through the entire thread. I'm glad they figured it out. Also, hope they come up with a solution soon.
Thanks For now, it's going to be a black towel under my pedals and no driving in shoes I don't want to get wet!
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
11stangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Haha, you would get here after the hurricane!!

Thanks For now, it's going to be a black towel under my pedals and no driving in shoes I don't want to get wet!
You could get some weathertech floor liners.. I have some just to save the carpet and they are pretty nice looking I think.. They're kinda pricey but my carpet is spotless underneath.. I got them for the rear also..
__________________
2011 5.0
Bama 93 race tune, bbk o/r xpipe, gt500 axle backs, frpp k-springs, steeda rear lca's, 3d carbon 3d500 wing, boss/cs front fascia w boss brake cooling kit, plenty more...
11stangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
gregtommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,462
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4

Haha, you would get here after the hurricane!!

Thanks For now, it's going to be a black towel under my pedals and no driving in shoes I don't want to get wet!
Well that would be good for my car not good for yours

Recommend flip flops, floridians average a dozen of those in their closet
__________________
MOTM DEC 2011
Base SC Dyno 595rwhp/493rwtrq
Refined Tune 608rwhp/504rwtrq


Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:22 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.