Best Ways to Prepare the Stang for Winter/Rust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Wisconsin
Best Ways to Prepare the Stang for Winter/Rust

Hey guys! So I live in Wisconsin and I have a 13 5.0 . And my parents help me out with everything, but they only help me out with one car, not two. So that means a beater would be all on my own to maintain and I'm still young. So that means I'm drving my Stang in the winter. Now ill add some weight in the trunk and get snow tires, but beyond that what do I want to do to protect from rust and other damage winter brings? Is there a type of sealant I can get for undercoating? How often should I get a car wash? Any and all recommendations would be appreciated! I really would prefer a beater, but it's probably not in the budget.

tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Michigan
Get good snow tires. Don't need weight in back really. These are better weight balanced than the old ones. I run my 2011 in michigan during the winter. The traction and stability control help too. As far as keeping it clean i would suggest finding a car wash that les you pay a monthly fee for unlimited washes. I pay 30 bucks a month for mine and use I all year. Each wash would be 10 bucks without the subscription. I wash mine at least twice a week. They have rust inhibitor they spray with the underbody wash too. Ran it two seasons using this and my undercarriage is still spotless. If you wash it regularly through the winter it will help a lot. Also get touch up paint and make sure you keep on any stone chips that arise. Also get good weathertech floor mats that trap the snow and keep it off the interior.

guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Washington
If you can swing it, go to the auto supply store and buy truck bed liner spray to spray on the underside of the car, and take out the inner fender liners to spray the metal behind. There are nasty pockets behind the front liners that trap dirt then slowly rot your car. The Weathertech suggestion is spot on. Keep the chemicals off the metal, and the need to visit the car wash goes down. Off course, what is the downside to car washing as often as you want...none.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT