Possible convert - help appreciated! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #1

Region: Canada
Possible convert - help appreciated!

(Lots to say, bare with me...)

First and foremost, I have no brand loyalty - I could give two ****s what the emblem is, it's the performance and the nature of the beast that warrant praise. Having said that I never imagined I'd be in this position, especially so quickly after rolling her off the lot - but the siren song of the 5.0 is beckoning.

Currently sporting a fully loaded Challenger R/T - fantastic car and very comfortable, and it is my first V8. **** - first car, haha! I come from the world of Wranglers, a much different beast.

Anyway, it's a 2012 and as many of you know, very much unmoddable unless you purchase a new ECU from B&G Chrysler, as they have not been able to crack the rolling code per se...so naturally I scooped one up. Impressive gains over stock in terms of drivability; but it has nurtured a need for speed that grows insatiable, and from what I've seen on the web and the street - these 5.0's are f'ing beasts in stock trim, let alone modded.

The things that set the Challenger apart - spacious interior, trunk, usable back seats and ride quality - are becoming trumped by a desire to start tracking...and winning. No kids, either, so I might just ditch the back seat like I did in the Jeep, heh! A few concerns, however.

1) I can't row for **** and pretty much need an auto. A tune is getting loaded up ASAP - apparently that sorts the trans out...I've heard mixed reviews. Thoughts?

2) Not the best roads in some areas - how dicey is the live axle? How is the ride quality vice the Challenger for those of you who've been in both?

3) Any must have options that no GT can do without?

Trying to schedule a test drive and a sit down with their finance guys for the weekend - I put 10 grand down on the R/T so I have some equity to lean on, and with our company discount should be able to get a decent price vs. what I paid for the Dodge - hoping to break even; that'd be enough!

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and feel free to offer some input!

Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
(Lots to say, bare with me...)

First and foremost, I have no brand loyalty - I could give two ****s what the emblem is, it's the performance and the nature of the beast that warrant praise. Having said that I never imagined I'd be in this position, especially so quickly after rolling her off the lot - but the siren song of the 5.0 is beckoning.

Currently sporting a fully loaded Challenger R/T - fantastic car and very comfortable, and it is my first V8. **** - first car, haha! I come from the world of Wranglers, a much different beast.

Anyway, it's a 2012 and as many of you know, very much unmoddable unless you purchase a new ECU from B&G Chrysler, as they have not been able to crack the rolling code per se...so naturally I scooped one up. Impressive gains over stock in terms of drivability; but it has nurtured a need for speed that grows insatiable, and from what I've seen on the web and the street - these 5.0's are f'ing beasts in stock trim, let alone modded.

The things that set the Challenger apart - spacious interior, trunk, usable back seats and ride quality - are becoming trumped by a desire to start tracking...and winning. No kids, either, so I might just ditch the back seat like I did in the Jeep, heh! A few concerns, however.

1) I can't row for **** and pretty much need an auto. A tune is getting loaded up ASAP - apparently that sorts the trans out...I've heard mixed reviews. Thoughts?

2) Not the best roads in some areas - how dicey is the live axle? How is the ride quality vice the Challenger for those of you who've been in both?

3) Any must have options that no GT can do without?

Trying to schedule a test drive and a sit down with their finance guys for the weekend - I put 10 grand down on the R/T so I have some equity to lean on, and with our company discount should be able to get a decent price vs. what I paid for the Dodge - hoping to break even; that'd be enough!

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and feel free to offer some input!

Glad you've finally come to the right side lol. If you wanna drag race auto is the way to go, otherwise the transmission problem aren't very prevalent but there have been a few with issues.

Live axle is pretty good in the mustang, mines a little jumped at times but I've also got a few mods that have tightened the suspension.

Some people may say that the brembo package is a must have, I personally do not believe so but I would probably recommend it unless you plan on upgrading suspension and brakes yourself anyways, which most people do. In the base GT is pretty much beast

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
On the ride subject the Challenger is much better My dad has a 2010 SRT, I've heard the r/t is even better. I've never been in a new 5.0, so can't say exactly, but the mustangs I have been in, all different models, are decent, not complaints just not as good as the challenger.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Region: Texas
Get the 5.0. Thats my next car. Thats if u prefer speed over ride quality and space
jigga281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I love my 5.0, and am a fan of Ford. However, if you don't row and you are not brand-sensitive then The mustang is not the best muscle car for you. The auto is weak, and I am only saying that to be nice here. Check out the camaro, the auto on that car is unparalleled in this car class. Yeah, that will case some unsubstantiated arguments ere, but trust me. The auto on the camaro has 0.4 seconds better on the 0-60 than the same car with a manual.

Also, the paddle shifters are very responsive on the camaro. Try the select shift on the mustang. Push the button and count the seconds before the shift... Not good. Basically the same select shift feel that you will find on the F150.

Ride quality is also superior an the seats are great.

Modification is also much easier on the camaro than the challenger. Mustangs still seem to have more mods available though.

However, when we both pull up to a light or on the track... I will smoke your camaro ( but not as bad as the challenger).
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If you want to turn your car into a track car, just get a base gt with no options but the track pack. This will have your cooling and brakes setup for track use pretty much out of the box, and you won't have a bunch of extra weight. As others have said, the auto is every bit as fast as the manual, but you need a good tune, and plan on replacing the converter with a bigger stall for good launches on the street/strip, but won't matter as much on the road course (I think the manual will always be king here).
Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I am a Ford guy by nature, so my opinion might be a little bias. However I love and have respect for all muscle cars. Young and old. Growing up my dad was a muscle car of the month kinda guy. He owned one from every stable. I always took to the mustangs. That being said..
I drool every time I see a new Challenger, they are sick looking cars. If I could I would have one parked next to my Stang. But like you said they are not upgrade friendly. Ford on the other hand puts the stock components in the Mustang so you can have it in the car long enough to figure out which mod you want to make the car yours. You get to creat your car for your driving style.
As far as how it rides.... If you want ride comfort then go with a Lincoln or a caddy. It's a Myscle car. The suspension is there to keep the tires on the pavement and get the power to the ground. Ford has kept the live axle because it does just that. It also makes the car drive like a MUSCLE car. Not some euro sports car that drives like its on rails (needs no driver input)! Lol steering with the throttle is fun.
Just my .02 or maybe .10.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT