Shifter question for Barton and Hurst for 2013 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
Shifter question for Barton and Hurst for 2013 5.0

Just curious on a few things about these two shifters

1.For reverse for the Hurst, do you still have to push down to go into reverse like the stock shifter???
same thing with the Barton, do you have to push down to get into reverse??

2.Which one is better for performance (Racing)

3.Which one is reliable?

thank you guys
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #2

Region: Alabama
I've seen lots of feedback on Barton and MGW, but nothing on Hurst. So I'm curious about opinions on the Hurst also. I like the classic look of it more than any others.
11grabberblueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Shifter question for Barton and Hurst for 2013 5.0

at about 2:50 he briefly talks about reverse ... the text claims an adjustable reverse detent, but there is no "push down" lock out.

I have the Barton, and it maintains the factory lock-out style, but improves it so make it pretty much impossible to ever find yourself in the wrong gear when you meant to be in reverse. The Barton requires a much more (IMO) deliberate effort to go into reverse than the stock shifter.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I just ordered the Hurst, all the reviews I have read everyone liked the Hurst. Plus I am old school on this one I grew up with Hurst. It comes with a light to let you know when you're in reverse a lot but most don't hook it up. As soon as I get mine I will post more about it.
RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRedGT
I just ordered the Hurst, all the reviews I have read everyone liked the Hurst. Plus I am old school on this one I grew up with Hurst. It comes with a light to let you know when you're in reverse a lot but most don't hook it up. As soon as I get mine I will post more about it.
Please do! I've found very little feedback on it but that's definitely the one I'm most interested in.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I bought the hurst at first. Thinking the same thing, the reviews are ok and i like the classic look. One look at it and and short talk with my mechanic left that cheap kit getting returned. It's very cheaply made. After considering the Barton combo of the bracket and arm, I opted for the MGW, the MGW replaces everything from top to bottom and front to back. It does not reuse a single factory component. I have felt the Barton, and IMO, it in know way shape or for compares to the MGW. I think a lot of people are getting sold on the Barton because it's $50-80 cheaper and they can have it with little to no wait. STAY clear of the hurst, it may be better than stock, but it's not good. If your going to spend the money why not spend a little more for the best and never have to worry about it again. You will never second guess your purchase of the MGW.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87

at about 2:50 he briefly talks about reverse ... the text claims an adjustable reverse detent, but there is no "push down" lock out.

I have the Barton, and it maintains the factory lock-out style, but improves it so make it pretty much impossible to ever find yourself in the wrong gear when you meant to be in reverse. The Barton requires a much more (IMO) deliberate effort to go into reverse than the stock shifter.
So for the Barton you still have the factory push down reverse??
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_5.0

So for the Barton you still have the factory push down reverse??
Yup, just like factory... only thing is that the spring is a little stiffer which makes it highly unlikely yo accidentally put in reverse... which isn't a bad thing
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yup, just like factory... only thing is that the spring is a little stiffer which makes it highly unlikely yo accidentally put in reverse... which isn't a bad thing
What he said.

So far, I really like my Barton. But other than stock I have nothing to compare it to.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know about the Hurst except comments I've read around the forums, and most follow what DWC_SmOziLLa said. I was able to row a Barton-equipped car at a show yesterday and it's nice. Definitely a more deliberate motion to engage reverse. I've also been able to row an MGW-equipped car and run it around a parking lot a bit (thanks, D00m3dHitm4n). It's more mechanical-feeling and to me the reverse lockout felt much more robust than the stock box. I will be placing my order for the MGW soon.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I know MGW is better on 98-04 but never really tested anything else on the newer vehicles, with the amount of research and dev they put into their shifter though that would be my number 1 choice.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11grabberblueGT

Please do! I've found very little feedback on it but that's definitely the one I'm most interested in.
I have had my Hurst for a week now and I have really enjoyed it. Looks great not alot of noise but there is some compared to OEM. I like the fact I don't have to push down for reverse and have not had a problem missing first. You can adjust the spring tension for reverse. My friend installed MGW on his at the same time and he loves it. He does alot more drag racing than I do and he also installed poly motor mounts also.
I say go with what you want I am very pleased with the Hurst and he is pleased with the MGW my wife even commented on how much she liked the Hurst.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #13

Sounds great. So no issues with mistakingly going into reverse? That was my only concern since there is no lock-out on the Hurst.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What is it that causes the noise with aftermarket shifters?
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87

+1 I have a Barton as well.. Very pleased
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11grabberblueGT
Sounds great. So no issues with mistakingly going into reverse? That was my only concern since there is no lock-out on the Hurst.
I haven't had any problems with mistaking first and reverse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT