Radio Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Radio Question

All,

I posted the thread below in the audio section but didnt get any response thought i would post here for your thoughts

I have a 2011 GT convertible. I believe the car has a shaker system but I am not 100% sure. Anyway, I was thinking of upgrading the sound system. I do not want to replace the head unit because I like the Sync and the Sirius radio.

I had one audio shop tell me an amp would not work with the current speaker separates. I would need to upgrade all the speakers AND keep the subs in the car but disconnect them and put a new sub in the trunk. Has anyone heard of such a thing? This does not seem correct to me.

Let me know your experience.

Mike
Msiegel117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Radio Question

U can start with replacing the speakers... They're 6x8, doesn't matter if its Shaker500 or not. Shaker system is crap IMHO, u will see that the stock speakers are cheap (weighs as much as a slice of bread).
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
from my 15 years experience with audio systems, there is a way around everything. Yes you can upgrade your sound system by adding a aftermarket amp and sub without replacing your headunit or speakers. Get a hold of the wiring schematic and tap into the correct wires that go to the rear speakers to the high gain/filter input and then to your subs, add some bass blockers to your front and rear speakers. The hardes part would be getting a remote turn on wire for the amp and of course feeding power cable through firewall. Ensure your amp is grounded correctly and you have a solid remote so your battery will not be killed. What type of upgrade you looking at getting?

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

I know this maybe a little over your budget and since i hate sync, and sirrus i upgraded my whole a/c controls and headunit with the scosche kit. The factory speakers still sound good and now im able to have gps, digital radio, iheart radio, pandora, and the passenger can watch movies. Since i have installed it i never listen to it since im in love with the way my car sounds and i just listen to the tunes of my exhaust. lol
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

I have new Rockford fosgate speakers from a 2006 mustang I recently traded. The audio shop told me not to put the aftermarket speakers in the 2011 because they won't sound right. I would prefer to use these aftermarket speakers I already purchased but the expert I am talking to is telling me not to. I also have a rockfort fosgate amp but they told me be amp will blow the door subs.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

its your car, its your preference. whatever the customer wants is what they should get. as long as the speakers your putting in are not bigger than the opening of the door speaker then you can install them. Any aftermarket speaker would sound better as long as the ohms match and your not underpowering them. Maybe thats what he is trying to explain to u. This amp you have. How many watts is it? Are you wanting to power your fosgate door speakers with it? Visit www.crutchfield.com and enter your cars info into and it will show you what size speakers you should be installing.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Im in the boat dude... All you need is a cross iver... Audio control sells a unit which basically takes your speaker signal and converts it to a rca output which allows you to run amps in your car... The only dificult section is finding a remote wire which turns on the amp when the cars turns the vehicle on.... You can always use a toggle switch to for your remote incase u have a constant 24v source as your remote
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G
Im in the boat dude... All you need is a cross iver... Audio control sells a unit which basically takes your speaker signal and converts it to a rca output which allows you to run amps in your car... The only dificult section is finding a remote wire which turns on the amp when the cars turns the vehicle on.... You can always use a toggle switch to for your remote incase u have a constant 24v source as your remote
+1
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Thanks guys. The shop I was talking to did mention a crossover. They said that would run $200-$300. I need to speak with another shop because I am not handy to do this work myself and I'm just not getting the answers I'm looking for from the one shop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT