2012 GT vs BOSS 302 durabily - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
2012 GT vs BOSS 302 durabily

Which of these cars and their coyote engines would have more reliability in the long run? Both are manual trans and just the basic goodies
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: 2012 GT vs BOSS 302 durabily

None of the cars have been around long enough for long-term analysis. Obviously, the Boss has some upgraded internals.

I think if you track your car regularly, or incorporate major performance-boosting mods, the Boss would be more durable in the long run. If not, then it probably wouldn't matter.

Just my guess.

I would have gotten a 2012 Boss if I could have gotten the Premium Interior ... this is my daily driver so I like nice. But, I also like durable things, whether I need them or not. I suppose I could add forged rods and pistons to my current engine ... not sure how much that would cost.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
Which of these cars and their coyote engines would have more reliability in the long run? Both are manual trans and just the basic goodies
The boss engine is referred to as roadrunner, not coyote, seems like I'm splitting hairs but it is a different enough motor o differentiate between the two.

That said I said roadrunners will outlast the coyotes. Heavier duty parts on them and better cooling

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

The boss engine is referred to as roadrunner, not coyote, seems like I'm splitting hairs but it is a different enough motor o differentiate between the two.

That said I said roadrunners will outlast the coyotes. Heavier duty parts on them and better cooling
Indeed, different pistons, rods, crank,, heads, valves, cams, intake and tune makes a whole different platform, not to mention the oil and trans coolers, differential, etc.

Also, the boss (and gt track packs) call for 5w50 oil... an that's not because it makes better power
Old 08-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Aren't forged internals bad for an engine? I've always assumed this. I would use this car as a DD honestly. Because as the hipsters say, you only live once. So enjoy it
Old 08-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Aren't forged internals bad for an engine? I've always assumed this. I would use this car as a DD honestly. Because as the hipsters say, you only live once. So enjoy it
No... They are good for an engine, as in they keep it from blowing to smithereens.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

How much money would it cost to make a GT up to par with a boss vs just buying the boss? And as I've looked over the GT forums the MT82 has massive problems. And some engines. That could play a factor
Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
How much money would it cost to make a GT up to par with a boss vs just buying the boss? And as I've looked over the GT forums the MT82 has massive problems. And some engines. That could play a factor
O geez. The problems exist, I do not deny that in the least, but they are very few and very far between, the frequency of engine/tranny problems has been majorly over inflated. Any mustang owner that is not on a forum nor had that problem themself likely would not even know these problems existed.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Base 5.0L connecting rods are forged, though...sintered aka Powder Metal Forged. The majority of engines on the road nowadays use PF rods to cut down manufacturing cost. PF also offers an advantage in that the grain structure is uniformly smaller than that of tradish forging, so it's going to be stronger than a similar shaped part made from tradish forging. On our short block, the OEM conrod is the weak link by design, so the manufacturing process is typically looked down on by a lot of people...but if there were more 5.0L aftermarket PF rods out there that were specifically made for high performance apps, people would quickly change their mind.
hpisloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I got quroted 5400 for a short block from L&M engines they take your stock block and send you a new one with forged rods and piston... My mechanic said the stock heads work great and add a kennebell whipple and u will push 700 plus to the wheel without worrying about anything
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Crank is same in both. Heads are very similar except for minor port shaping changes
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

These coyotes are good for 600+ HP and if you aren't tracking the car then 600+ on the street is plenty.......almost too much to enjoy.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
These coyotes are good for 600+ HP and if you aren't tracking the car then 600+ on the street is plenty.......almost too much to enjoy.
My "boss 227" is plenty for a 19 year old with 305 hp. 600+ for a DD is a tad over the top in my opinion. But is pretty cool
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have a little over 300 in my 05 GT and its not even close to enough. 650 is my dream number but no way I'm hitting that in a 4.6 without costing as much as a new 5.0 with a supercharger.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
just bumped into a guy today with 12 gt and it sounded sweet. so i pulled up to him and aske what he was feeding that thing. his reply was a paxton supercharger, o/r x pipe, shorty headers. all in all was around 5 k spent on mods from varoius places. anyways, he claims he his putting down 760 rwh..... So, i have his number and will be picking his brain on how and what he has done. Before i believe the 760 i will need some proof, but if its true that engine is at its limit unless hes changed cylinder heads and cams.. ill keep you guys posted
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

My "boss 227" is plenty for a 19 year old with 305 hp. 600+ for a DD is a tad over the top in my opinion. But is pretty cool
When I had a v6 I called it the Vice President 245 instead of the Boss 302 lol

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
just bumped into a guy today with 12 gt and it sounded sweet. so i pulled up to him and aske what he was feeding that thing. his reply was a paxton supercharger, o/r x pipe, shorty headers. all in all was around 5 k spent on mods from varoius places. anyways, he claims he his putting down 760 rwh..... So, i have his number and will be picking his brain on how and what he has done. Before i believe the 760 i will need some proof, but if its true that engine is at its limit unless hes changed cylinder heads and cams.. ill keep you guys posted
With a Paxton that's actually possible in a manual, stupid fast is putting down 700-something (838 crank I think) in an auto

Yeah, pick his brain and do what he's doing!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Search for some of wnt2gofst old threads, he was putting down similar numbers iirc.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

227 is my engine size. Not power. But in my v6 auto it is around 245. Sadly.... I'm saving to do small mods since later on once I pay this off I'm getting a GT or even a used boss (rare for sure)

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo

When I had a v6 I called it the Vice President 245 instead of the Boss 302 lol

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

With a Paxton that's actually possible in a manual, stupid fast is putting down 700-something (838 crank I think) in an auto

Yeah, pick his brain and do what he's doing!
So could the boss engine throw down more than a regular 5.oh since the forged internals and it is a track engine practically
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The extra power the boss makes comes from the intake, cams, heads and valves. The forged internals just ensure it doesn't blow up since it lives in the high end of the powerband.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, this has changed my entire perspective over FI vs just a normal engine. I'll just save for a boss later down the road instead of the GT. plus I'll have a limited car. I'm sure the 12's have dropped 1-2 grand by now anyway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2012 gt